• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • racinghoss

Missing Alaska
    Nov 3, 2008
    Can a military non-resident (resident of another state - stationed in MD) get a MD collectors license?

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    I think you can. When I purchased my gun here, I just provided my address and they sold me a handgun. All you need is military ID and something that says where you live.

That being said, I think it would be best if you give the State Police a call. That's what I did when I bought my first MD handgun. They just told me to provide an address at the shop and show them my military ID. It's a strange thing they have here. When I went to San Antonio, I was not allowed to purchase a handgun with my military id and an out of state license but Maryland allowed it. True the Texas thing was back in 2000. It might have changed now

racinghoss

Missing Alaska
    Nov 3, 2008
    I military non-resident can purchase controlled firearms in MD with no problem. A copy of orders, ID card, and something to prove your address was all it took.

However, I am not sure of the collector's status. I have been at work (or sleeping) and unable to call MSP about it. I am not sure I trust their answer anyway, lol.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Can a military non-resident (resident of another state - stationed in MD) get a MD collectors license?

Yes.

I have to double check on this, but the license is for the address of the collecting activities, not necessarily the address of the licensee's residence. If you can have a dealers FFL for a shop in one state, but be the resident of another state, then you should be able to do the same with the 03 FFL.
    Also, you can have more than one FFL covering more than one location.

§ 478.50 Locations covered by license. The license covers the class of business or the activity specified in the license
    at the address specified therein. A separate license must be obtained for each location at which a firearms or
    ammunition business or activity requiring a license under this part is conducted
    except:
    (a) No license is required to cover a separate warehouse used by the licensee solely for storage of firearms or
    ammunition if the records required by this part are maintained at the licensed premises served by such warehouse;
    (b) A licensed collector may acquire curios and relics at any location, and dispose of curios or relics to any licensee or to
    other persons who are residents of the State where the collector’s license is held and the disposition is made.3
    (c) A licensee may conduct business at a gun show pursuant to the provision of § 478.100; or
    (d) A licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer may engage in the business of dealing in curio or relic firearms with
    another licensee at any location pursuant to the provision of § 478.100.
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios/1972-2007/introduction.pdf

So even if you were not a MD resident (which you are), you could supposedly have a collecting premises here and have a C&R issued to you for a MD address.

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    Save a copy of your PCS orders with your new command's MD address.

I know a guy who got orders to MD and lives in VA. Can't buy guns in VA without going through a MD FFL. So much for gun dealers near his house.

It's not where you live but where you are PCS'd to that matters.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Save a copy of your PCS orders with your new command's MD address.

I know a guy who got orders to MD and lives in VA. Can't buy guns in VA without going through a MD FFL. So much for gun dealers near his house.

It's not where you live but where you are PCS'd to that matters.

If your friend lives in VA and commutes every day to the station in MD where his orders are, he can buy in both states because to the ATF he is a dual resident. But it only applies if he is commuting from his house in VA to his station everyday.

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    If your friend lives in VA and commutes every day to the station in MD where his orders are, he can buy in both states because to the ATF he is a dual resident. But it only applies if he is commuting from his house in VA to his station everyday.

Not what he was told when he tried to buy a gun in VA, where he lives. Duty station in Suitland, MD. I was always informed that for military special non-resident status you need to have orders to the state you live in listed on your PCS orders. Never heard of ATF dual-status.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Not what he was told when he tried to buy a gun in VA, where he lives. Duty station in Suitland, MD. I was always informed that for military special non-resident status you need to have orders to the state you live in listed on your PCS orders. Never heard of ATF dual-status.
    (B11) What constitutes residency in a State? [Back]

The State of residence is the State in which an individual is present; the individual also must have an intention of making a home in that State. A member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located. If a member of the Armed Forces maintains a home in one State and the member’s permanent duty station is in a nearby State to which he or she commutes each day, then the member has two States of residence and may purchase a firearm in either the State where the duty station is located or the State where the home is maintained. An alien who is legally in the United States is considered to be a resident of a State only if the alien is residing in that State and has resided in that State continuously for a period of at least 90 days prior to the date of sale of the firearm. See also Item 5, “Sales to Aliens in the United States,” in the General Information section of this publication.
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b11

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom