Mini-14 Folding Stock on a Pre-2013, grandfathered?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bam-az

Nov 30, 2015
    I have been looking over the forums and online for this answer, but I haven't found a clear answer. (Lots of looking on the Inter-webs and this forum)

I just purchased a 197 series Mini-14, which puts it pre-2013 vintage. The rifle was in Maryland pre-2013 as well. The rifle currently wears a standard black polymer stock. I want to put a Samson wood folding stock on it. I don't planning on selling this rifle, so that isn't a concern with future selling. By my reading, even if the rifle did NOT have a folder pre-2013, can I put on a folder since it is a pre-2013 and is grandfathered???? Just trying to re-live the A-Team days without ending up in a bad place.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    It would still be considered an evil feature, so as long as no flash hider or grenade laucher, you're fine.

You had to have owned it prior to the ban for it not to count.

I'm confused: The Ruger Mini-14 folder is banned by name in FSA 2013, so even if the rifle doesn't have a flash hider, how can the OP add a folding stock to it? Or does MSP read the law as prohibiting only the factory configuration of the Mini-14 folder, vs. an aftermarket folding stock (e.g. the Samson stock that OP wants to add)?

I should also point out that the Mini-30 folder is not banned by name.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Not grandfathered because that only applies to banned assault long guns you yourself owned prior to 10/1/2013 (or have another exemption).

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm confused: The Ruger Mini-14 folder is banned by name in FSA 2013, so even if the rifle doesn't have a flash hider, how can the OP add a folding stock to it? Or does MSP read the law as prohibiting only the factory configuration of the Mini-14 folder, vs. an aftermarket folding stock (e.g. the Samson stock that OP wants to add)?

I should also point out that the Mini-30 folder is not banned by name.
    I did not realize it was banned. You are correct. I would think that if he owned the gun prior to the ban, he could still put a folder on it, though that's just a guess on my part.

Screenshot 2023-06-10 at 14-11-59 Maryland Assault Weapons Ban Tactical Experts TacticalGear.com.png

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    I did not realize it was banned. You are correct. I would think that if he owned the gun prior to the ban, he could still put a folder on it, though that's just a guess on my part.

View attachment 417405

Yep, that was one of the many oddities of FSA 2013 that surprised me when I first read it. (Along with the ban on the Mossberg 500 Bullpup, which is not even a semi-automatic weapon.)

I do think that it would be valid to ask MSP (if nobody has already) whether the ban covers only the factory Mini-14 folder, and not a Mini-14 with an aftermarket folding stock. But knowing how MSP has ruled on other issues, I would imagine that they'd play it safe and advise that any folding-stock configuration of the Mini-14 is illegal to own, unless owned prior to 2013.

Last edited:

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

View attachment 417405
    The exemption to the possession ban is for an “assault long gun” possessed prior to 10/1/2013, so someone who owned it prior probably had to have it in the banned configuration prior.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The exemption to the possession ban is for an “assault long gun” possessed prior to 10/1/2013, so someone who owned it prior probably had to have it in the banned configuration prior.
    Probably switched stocks in order to sell?

bam-az

Nov 30, 2015

View attachment 417405
    This is where I am confused as well. Depending on interpretation, it might be and might not be allowed. Not trying to dance the line, but this stuff is so vague.

I, of course, want to read this as I don't own an original folder model, so I am good to out a folder... sigh

This is where I am confused as well. Depending on interpretation, it might be and might not be allowed. Not trying to dance the line, but this stuff is so vague.

I, of course, want to read this as I don't own an original folder model, so I am good to out a folder... sigh
    The person who owned the rifle on 10/1/2013 may continue to own it with a side folding stock (grandfathered). If it was sold after 10/1/2013 it cannot legally have a side folding stock installed.
    The "magical" 10/1/2013 is when the law went into effect. It has nothing to do with the date the firearm was manufactured.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The person who owned the rifle on 10/1/2013 may continue to own it with a side folding stock (grandfathered). If it was sold after 10/1/2013 it cannot legally have a side folding stock installed.
    The "magical" 10/1/2013 is when the law went into effect. It has nothing to do with the date the firearm was manufactured.
    The confusion is, where copycat rules provide(if you will) for the use of one of the three evil features, this gun was banned by its design. While it would be legal as a grandfathered firearm to the owner prior to the ban, the gun itself is now banned for purchase, post ban, in its original configuration.

It might be difficult to write about, but it really isn't that confusing.

bam-az

Nov 30, 2015
    The confusion is, where copycat rules provide(if you will) for the use of one of the three evil features, this gun was banned by its design. While it would be legal as a grandfathered firearm to the owner prior to the ban, the gun itself is now banned for purchase, post ban, in its original configuration.

Thank you for the clarification. To sum it up....

No A-Team for me while I continue to live in Maryland..... but I can come close if I put it on my Mini-30. Sucks.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    Thank you for the clarification. To sum it up....

No A-Team for me while I continue to live in Maryland..... but I can come close if I put it on my Mini-30. Sucks.

That’s what’s such a bummer about FSA 2013: It’s actually a fairly permissive law when it comes to modern tactical rifles (those made since the 2000s), as long as they’re over 29” long and don’t have a folding stock and flash hider. But it’s an awful law for anyone who wants to collect legacy “assault weapons” made in the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s, even though most of those weapons are obsolete compared to what’s on the market today.

Personally, if money were no object, I’d love to have an under-folding Norinco AK in 7.62x39mm, an original Steyr AUG, an HK91, and a pencil-barreled Vietnam War-style M16A1 clone. Alas, I can’t now, until the law goes away.

bam-az

Nov 30, 2015
    That’s what’s such a bummer about FSA 2013: It’s actually a fairly permissive law when it comes to modern tactical rifles (those made since the 2000s), as long as they’re over 29” long and don’t have a folding stock and flash hider. But it’s an awful law for anyone who wants to collect legacy “assault weapons” made in the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s, even though most of those weapons are obsolete compared to what’s on the market today.

Personally, if money were no object, I’d love to have an under-folding Norinco AK in 7.62x39mm, an original Steyr AUG, an HK91, and a pencil-barreled Vietnam War-style M16A1 clone. Alas, I can’t now, until the law goes away.
    I have sadly been forced to keep things like those in another state and make due with things like M14s instead of M1As or clonish type AKs... sigh. Someday I'll move back to a more freedom loving state.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    I have sadly been forced to keep things like those in another state and make do with things like M14s instead of M1As or clonish type AKs... sigh. Someday I'll move back to a more freedom loving state.

I wish I was still in VA myself, but look on the bright side: Some day, FSA 2013 will be found unconstitutional. I just don’t know how soon.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

This !

With the addition of previous owner , owned it prior to Oct '13 , and subsequently died , and left it to you in his will .

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

You could see if there is a way to pin the stock in the open position to make it MD compliant or keep it out of state for use where legal.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    I have been looking over the forums and online for this answer, but I haven't found a clear answer. (Lots of looking on the Inter-webs and this forum)

I just purchased a 197 series Mini-14, which puts it pre-2013 vintage. The rifle was in Maryland pre-2013 as well. The rifle currently wears a standard black polymer stock. I want to put a Samson wood folding stock on it. I don't planning on selling this rifle, so that isn't a concern with future selling. By my reading, even if the rifle did NOT have a folder pre-2013, can I put on a folder since it is a pre-2013 and is grandfathered???? Just trying to re-live the A-Team days without ending up in a bad place.
    No.

Unfortunately, you can't because the rifle would have to have been registered to you prior to 2013 FSA.

It matters not how old the rifle is. It matters when the rifle was registered to a specific person in Maryland which had to have been prior to the 2013 FSA.

I'm not a lawyer.

Now you "might" be able to keep the stock out of state. Put it on, in a legal state, and shoot it there. Then convert it back to unbanned status to return to Maryland.

But once again, I'm definitely not a lawyer and not giving lawyerly advice. Just a layman's opinion.

bam-az

Nov 30, 2015
    No.

Unfortunately, you can't because the rifle would have to have been registered to you prior to 2013 FSA.

It matters not how old the rifle is. It matters when the rifle was registered to a specific person in Maryland which had to have been prior to the 2013 FSA.

I'm not a lawyer.

Now you "might" be able to keep the stock out of state. Put it on, in a legal state, and shoot it there. Then convert it back to unbanned status to return to Maryland.

But once again, I'm definitely not a lawyer and not giving lawyerly advice. Just a layman's opinion.
    Thank you everyone for the clarifications. I guess I will bide my time in hopes of a repeal, or I move somewhere more friendly. In the meantime, I guess the stock sits in a box

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom