• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    Just picked up one of the new 580 series Ranch Rifle with a wood stock and 18.5" barrel. Just want to see what others have done to there. Mostly looking to due functional upgrades, not cosmetic. My initial observations are I really like the rifle. The action is nice, the wood stock is very nice, and its just a very neat gun once I got some 20 round mags for it as opposed to the 5 rounders I was forced to receive with it.

My only gripe is that the trigger is one of the worst i've ever experienced on a stock factory rifle. It has a lot of travel. And if it is two-stage, it kind've feels like all one big single-stage. But, the worst is the trigger pull must be like 8-10 pounds and the whole way through the trigger pull is very very gritty. Obviously, this is a brand new trigger and it needs to break in (I still have to shoot the rifle, which I haven't done yet). But, I think a trigger job is in order. Who do you all recommend sending the trigger to for Mini-14 trigger jobs? Also, I think I might consider upgrading the gas bushing. Anybody have any experience with that?

Unless I think of anything else, I may just do those two things. I wanted to get gunsmithing done on the barrel and thread it to be able to put a flash hider on it, but that looks like a PITA with the front sight where it is (mine is a 580, with the new tapered barrel). You would have to move the front sight further back somehow and would probably cost a lot of $$. I may just take that money and put it into a trigger job. Now I have the rifle, I think it still looks cool without a threaded barrel once you throw a higher cap magazine in it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks-

Feb 28, 2013
    The only trigger job that rifle needs is the "thousand round" type. It'll slick up. I haven't seen a Ruger trigger yet that didn't feel like that at first.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    The only trigger job that rifle needs is the "thousand round" type. It'll slick up. I haven't seen a Ruger trigger yet that didn't feel like that at first.

Agreed. Shoot it before you mess with it.

As for the flash hider, your best option if you really want it is to trade/sell the rifle and get a factory threaded model.

Clem

Mar 19, 2007
    Southern MD
    I have an old Mini and a newer series 580 one. The older one was rebarreled and is now quite accurate. The newer one is pretty stock. I have worked the trigger a bit and have played with gas bushings on both. I think I am using an 0.042" bushing in both. They come with something like a 0.080 to 0.100" bushing, which way over gasses them and causes empties to be thrown into the next zip code. The smaller bushings take care of that. I also used a 1911 buffer on the Minis to help ease the pounding. I also had my barrel cryo treated. It seemed to me that the POI wandered a bit when it warmed up. The cryo treatment helps to minimize that. Mine are now both in Hogue stocks.

asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    Probably going to leave the barrel alone. I went with a wood stock model to have something more classic looking than my black AR. I know the Mini probably wont shoot as good as my RRA AR, but again wanted something more classic looking for a change. Would prefer a flash hider and I thought it would be more of a priority to me in the modification department, but its not. The trigger is now my bigger priority.

Im a little reluctant to use a buffer because I know with AKs that buffers can cause reliability issues and perhaps cause wear in other areas of the gun. And that the AK was never designed to use a buffer. I dont think the Mini was either. But it maybe different with the Mini than the AK. But, perhaps a smaller gas bushing will negate the need for a buffer? Ive also heard retorquing the gas block bolts is an a upgrade sort of due to unequal torque from the factory? I think the gas piston slightly rubs the side of the gas tube when pulling the charging handle back initially. Maybe a block torqued down more on one side more could cause this slight disalignment?

Also, when the bolt is locked on a empty chamber, I can move the bolt itself back and forth ever so slightly. Is that normal? I dont have headspace gauges for 5.56 or .223 but I just go over new firearms throughly before shooting. I assume this tolerance tightens up once a cartridge is chambered? I might double check that.

Thanks

JJM82

Sep 20, 2011
    Jarrettsville
    I have an old Mini and a newer series 580 one. The older one was rebarreled and is now quite accurate. The newer one is pretty stock. I have worked the trigger a bit and have played with gas bushings on both. I think I am using an 0.042" bushing in both. They come with something like a 0.080 to 0.100" bushing, which way over gasses them and causes empties to be thrown into the next zip code. The smaller bushings take care of that. I also used a 1911 buffer on the Minis to help ease the pounding. I also had my barrel cryo treated. It seemed to me that the POI wandered a bit when it warmed up. The cryo treatment helps to minimize that. Mine are now both in Hogue stocks.

Hey Clem. Who did you use for Cryo treatment? I just found (literally 5 minutes ago) that there is a place in York but haven't seen any customer reviews yet.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The problem with wood stocked Mini's is the owners who religiously field strip and clean them cause the wood around the action to get compressed. This leads to the action moving during the firing sequence. Owners then bed the action with bedding compound, which temporarily fixes the problem, but continue on the field strip and clean regimen after every shooting session, again loosening the action in the stock.

As for the trigger, there's a guy who used to be on Perfect Union, who did trigger jobs on Mini-14s. Don't know if he's still in business.

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    The problem with wood stocked Mini's is the owners who religiously field strip and clean them cause the wood around the action to get compressed. This leads to the action moving during the firing sequence. Owners then bed the action with bedding compound, which temporarily fixes the problem, but continue on the field strip and clean regimen after every shooting session, again loosening the action in the stock.

As for the trigger, there's a guy who used to be on Perfect Union, who did trigger jobs on Mini-14s. Don't know if he's still in business.

Yep, still is;

http://greatwestgunsmithing.com/mini14.htm

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Mopar's patent pending trigger job.
    Verify rifle is clear.
    Verify rifle is clear.
    Verify rifle is clear.
    Lubrication of the rifle.
    Pop in Blackhawk Down in player of videos.
    Shoot at enemies of state, mooslems, and #1 truck of Jihadi's.
    Rest, have one vodka.
    Pop in Act of Valor.
    Shoot at treasonous former communists, drug dealers, and jihadi's bonus points for guys with bandanas.
    Repeat drill with Enemy at the Gates, Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, Lone Survivor and other movies celebrating great capitalistic nation comrade.
    Enjoy great success!

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Mopar's patent pending trigger job.
    Verify rifle is clear.
    Verify rifle is clear.
    Verify rifle is clear.
    Lubrication of the rifle.
    Pop in Blackhawk Down in player of videos.
    Shoot at enemies of state, mooslems, and #1 truck of Jihadi's.
    Rest, have one vodka.
    Pop in Act of Valor.
    Shoot at treasonous former communists, drug dealers, and jihadi's bonus points for guys with bandanas.
    Repeat drill with Enemy at the Gates, Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, Lone Survivor and other movies celebrating great capitalistic nation comrade.
    Enjoy great success!

You forgot the A-Team episodes. :innocent0

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    As seen on TV...

Attachments

• Mini 14 as seen in Battle Creek close up.jpg
      Mini 14 as seen in Battle Creek close up.jpg
      7.9 KB · Views: 243

Users who are viewing this thread