• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.

I had previously posted a thread in search of a K22. That desire is still there in full. However, DA can wait while I’m shooting SA. I have a .45 NM Vaquero I enjoy shooting and loading for quite a lot. In ‘63, Ruger removed a little between grip and trigger guard on there Single Six’es. Thusly changing grip profile slightly. The first gen models were a dead ringer in the hand to an SAA. Headed to Florida to work for two days, when I get back home, shouldn’t have to wait too much longer! Will update with pics and progress through time.

Cheers!
    - Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    My 1966 was my grandfather's...a great gun.

Attachments

• Ruger Single Six 1966.jpg
      Ruger Single Six 1966.jpg
      90.5 KB · Views: 51

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Quick cell phone pic for now …

2e5691837a2ff30c065065f404a44b8c.jpeg

This ‘59 has never been fired. Quite evident of its “newness”, original oil on the hammer. The receipt looks like it was in a pressure chamber. Like it was printed and hand written this morning. There’s a slight finish wear at the left side of the muzzle. Purely holster wear I guess. It is near as new as I could ever hope to find. The difference in quality between the two above is astounding. That ‘59 makes, what I thought was a good action on my Vaquero, the new model laughable. Definitely may have to call Power Custom about that NM Vaquero and get it right!

Wow this little thing impresses!

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Oh man, that Single Six sure is a treat! After shooting it a while, I drifted the rear sight over to the left. She’ll shoot dead on as long as I do. Had a hell of a good time chasing 12 ga hauls all around. Cans, bottles out to the 25y berm.

On paper I shot fine, nothing to brag on. Huge improvement after drifting the sight though!

The Saint

BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    My 1966 is mint in the box w/paperwork, love that as a shooter. A 1959 and 1962 both came in the shop this last month...both in excellent condition 22LR cylinders only.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    My 1966 is mint in the box w/paperwork, love that as a shooter. A 1959 and 1962 both came in the shop this last month...both in excellent condition 22LR cylinders only.

If what this man says is true, take a trip! These pups are great. I’m very happy to have mine!

Being a lefty, I typically end up adjusting my sights slightly to the left. Something I thought, and then read Elmer Keith discussing, to be kinda true. Perhaps guns come from the factory set up right eye’d if ya will. Who knows…

The Saint

BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    If what this man says is true, take a trip! These pups are great. I’m very happy to have mine!

Being a lefty, I typically end up adjusting my sights slightly to the left. Something I thought, and then read Elmer Keith discussing, to be kinda true. Perhaps guns come from the factory set up right eye’d if ya will. Who knows…

I noticed after the fact I had already commented about mine above...I'm a dunderhead hah!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

The difference in action is astounding. Such quality! That Vaquero is going to Bob Munden’s Crew at some point in the future.

There are a number of big name SA 'smith's, but Minden died in 2012 .

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    There are a number of big name SA 'smith's, but Minden died in 2012 .

Bob did sadly pass, he passed along the gift as well. Know the feller’s name is Jeff, reckon the last name is Gault or something close. He’s supposedly the next Munden smith to carry the torch. I saw some really good results of NM’s that he has done. I’d love to find a video of one being sent through the paces of its action.

The Saint

BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Just checked, mine dates to 1957, the box is kind of worn but its there.

Here is the difference between a Ruger Single Six and a Hy Hunter Western Marshall at the range:

Ruger: The box is already empty? Wow that went fast
    Hy Hunter: I've still got half the box to go? *groan*

Well, zinc vs steel is a big quality difference...I love junk guns though.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Awesome grab Brent! The Single Sixes with the drift adjustable rear sights are perfect to my eyes. Much more so than the modernish fully adjustable rears. Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom