• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jfking

BANNED!!!
    Sep 14, 2020
    As a Maryland permit holder. I got I can carry on my person and or in vehicle . But leaving a loaded firearm in a vehicle when I'm not with it seems to still be again the law. Supposed to transport guns with ammo separated and all that. If I'm leaving it unattended then I was told it does not count . Anyone have any actual info on this ?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    As a permit holder you are exempt from 4-203.

I won’t opine on leaving a loaded gun in a vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    IANAL - But my interpretation is that it’s ok to leave one in the car; just make sure NO-ONE else can drive it at the time. IMO if you’re going to leave one in the car, ensure it’s secured from casual theft. (I say casual because ANY safe can be defeated given time and dedication)

Also, IMHO, don’t plaster your car with Pro-2A, DTOM, various gun manufacturers stickers etc…. It makes you a target.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As a permit holder you are exempt from 4-203.

I won’t opine on leaving a loaded gun in a vehicle

This .

You * may * leave pistol(s) in your vehicle , if otherwise legal ( not parked in no firearms area, etc ).

The Wisdom , and potential Methods thereof, is a topic of hot debate here .

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    When I hear "truck gun" I usually think some sort of long gun and not a pistol.
    Same here. Not to hijack, but I was unable to get an answer on this from my CCW Class. The instructor wasn't sure it had to also pass "Hunting" laws. I figure a loaded shotgun should be allowed if you had a permit, still don't know...at least in Md.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The MD DNR statute 10-410c prohibits a loaded long gun in a vehicle.

Permit holders are not exempt

Some say it only applies to hunting but the fact that the AG opinion on long gun open carry specifically mentions it would not give me confidence it would be an affirmative defense if you are arrested

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Same here. Not to hijack, but I was unable to get an answer on this from my CCW Class. The instructor wasn't sure it had to also pass "Hunting" laws. I figure a loaded shotgun should be allowed if you had a permit, still don't know...at least in Md.
    I'm going with a WC permit has zero to do with shotguns or rifles.
    Since there's a 7 day wait for an AR Pistol, I am going with that is a pistol and is ok.

Unloaded rifles and shotguns are ok I'm pretty sure.

As far as stolen, well that's a just a property loss to me and I will leave whatever in the console or what place is convenient for me at the time. Nothing will be left in there any longer than a run into a store or the like. Or if I am going to have a couple drinks and go right home after.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

No .

It is addressed by Actual Statute , in force state wide . It happens to be in the Natural Resource Article instead of the Criminal Article or Public Safety Article , but it's still a regular State Law .

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Bingo

See 10-410c

Not sure just because it’s in the DNR statute it’s a hunting law.

It’s still a statute

Last edited:

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    No .

It is addressed by Actual Statute , in force state wide . It happens to be in the Natural Resource Article instead of the Criminal Article or Public Safety Article , but it's still a regular State Law .
    Yes between you and Blaster that pretty much sums up Mo's response.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I saw a guy being cited by DNR a number of years ago for having a loaded shotgun leaning up against his pickup. We were in a hunting setting at the time, but DNR said the citation was for violation of having a loaded firearm "in or on" a vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom