• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Recently built my dream SPR around a Colt A2 Lower and a PRI MK12 Mod 0 upper, I love this thing. I am not the best long range shooter and I need to work on a lot of fundamentals such as follow through etc. But nonetheless I am very happy with this gun so far. Here are a couple of videos and pics featuring the "build".

Oh I know the rings are on backwards ;)

IMG_6358 by 556 Channel (HD), on Flickr

IMG_6329 by 556 Channel (HD), on Flickr

IMG_6320 by 556 Channel (HD), on Flickr

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    This first video is pretty much an overview of the rifle and parts used. I know this rifle is not an exact clone since the optic is not correct along with other minor details, but I had to make a few compromises to get the gun finished within my budget.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    The second video was my ongoing attempt to find the best cost effective ammo that would still achieve good accuracy. This is the first of two videos on this topic. I tested 5 ammo manufacturers, different weights and chamberings 5.56 vs .223. All ammo was shot at 100 yards using 5 shot groups and eliminating the worst shot of the group or "flier".

IMG_7244 by 556 Channel (HD), on Flickr

IMG_7235 by 556 Channel (HD), on Flickr

IMG_7237 by 556 Channel (HD), on Flickr

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I am planning on gathering up 5 additional match grade offerings and shooting a similar video. Hope all the data points are helpful, and maybe this info can help someone save time and effort while shopping for ammo.

Finally, the video of the actual accuracy tests:

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    BEAUTIFUL rifle! I love the Mod 0. I have a Mod 1 by High Caliber Sales that I am in love with. Just need a lower power scope my Viper PST 6-24 is super overkill.

Mine has to be at least 12 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    All that depends on the glass one uses as well as whether bipod or LAM are installed. Tendency is in the 8-9 pound range, so not much more than a loaded A2/A4.

I meant as configured above.

Oof.

How do you like the PRI upper? I personally think it's got more character than the later KAC railed models. I've been considering building a re-interpretation of the Mk12, but sometimes I really just want a clone.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I meant as configured above.

Oof.

How do you like the PRI upper? I personally think it's got more character than the later KAC railed models. I've been considering building a re-interpretation of the Mk12, but sometimes I really just want a clone.
    Yeah 11.3lbs sounds bad, but I won't be shooting this off hand, just bench and prone. The PRI upper is beautiful, really satisfied with everything, it has so many features for a really decent price. When compared to BCMs offering the choice was obvious for me, the Douglas barrel was a big selling point for me too. Now I'm getting ready to buy an over the barrel SPR suppressor for it, then I'm done.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    You think the accuracy will improve with handloads or different ammo? My SPR knock off will shoot 5 rounds into .6 and it's using a WOA barrel. I figured the Douglas would be able to at least go sub-MOA.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Yeah 11.3lbs sounds bad, but I won't be shooting this off hand, just bench and prone. The PRI upper is beautiful, really satisfied with everything, it has so many features for a really decent price. When compared to BCMs offering the choice was obvious for me, the Douglas barrel was a big selling point for me too. Now I'm getting ready to buy an over the barrel SPR suppressor for it, then I'm done.

Honestly having the correct Douglas barrel isn't that important to me - it's only 'special' because it's profiled specifically for the OPS 12th model which is old tech. I'd be all right with any old accurate barrel as the only SPR suppressor I can think of is the Griffin one.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads