• ...and so much more!
  • coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Grew up there

Bethesda, near WJ high school

I grew up with my Dad ( he is still there ) 3 blocks outside of the beltway off Old Georgetown Rd. I went to WJ, grad way back when there were still cows on 2 sides of the school. That was when Potomac was where River Rd and Falls rd meet. And there was nothing called North Potomac hahaha it was Rockville.

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    Any one here ride
    zx_smilie_blk_new.gif

BigDubz

Nov 7, 2008
    Cosign. Dogfish is my jam.

Fact: they usually cut you off after 4 120 minute IPAs. Don't ask how I know this. ;)

Dogfish beer trumps all the other local offerings by far. You can find me there pretty much every Sunday night meeting up for an escape. Look for the guy that looks like Jared from Subway rocking the shitty playoff beard cussing at the Caps... (though lately, it's been allll good)

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    I grew up with my Dad ( he is still there ) 3 blocks outside of the beltway off Old Georgetown Rd. I went to WJ, grad way back when there were still cows on 2 sides of the school. That was when Potomac was where River Rd and Falls rd meet. And there was nothing called North Potomac hahaha it was Rockville.
    Naw, man, it was Gaithersburg!

cb51

Any one here ride
    zx_smilie_blk_new.gif

Used to ride from 1967 until 2001 when we sold the Harley's. Getting older was a bitch. reaching senior citizen status, found us with some problems with the heavier bikes. Now we, (the better half and I, and sister in law and bro in law) ride Vespa motor scooters. Ride out to small country roads in upper montgomery and Frederick country. Sometimes for a Sunday lunch ride to the Lisbon Grill for some great BBQ, or the South Mountain Inn for the brunch buffet. Sometimes take the back roads out to Sykesville to Baldwin Station or Beck's.

I admired the Vespa when I was stationed over seas, and now as an 'older' rider I'm not worried about what anyone thinks, so I enjoy the ride on a vintage shift PX150. I loved the one I had when I was in Italy, so now I have one. It's like a nostalgia trip to my younger Maynard G. Krebs days in college, then a GI in Europe.

Last edited:

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Used to ride from 1967 until 2001 when we sold the Harley's. Getting older was a bitch. reachingseniorcitizen status, found us with some problems with the heavier bikes. Now we, (the better half and I, and sister in law and bro in law) ride Vespa motor scooters.

I can understand switching from Harleys to Vespas for the weight savings, but how did you get used to all the extra power?

cb51

How man cc's are these Vespa you have / had?

It is like going from a Shelby Mustang to a Ford Focus.

The PX150is a 150cc, and cruises about 50mph. Tops out about 60. The better half sold her PX150 because with her arthritis couldn't do the all in one shift and clutch with her left hand. Now she rides one of the new style automatic non shifter ones, a GT-200. It will do a bit over 80 mph, cruises at 60 to 65 with no problem. Bro-in-law rides a GTS-250, tops out about 85 to 90, cruises on any highway.

I never liked the Harleys at all, and only had one from 1997 to 2001. Before that I had three BMW's, a R65, an R80, and the last one was a K75. Loved them, but got bored, but spoiled. Used to quality and reliability that the Harleys didn't deliver. Both mine, A '95 1200 sportster, and my better halts a '97 super glide had more problems apiece than any one of my BMW's in spite of the beemers having a lot more miles put on them. The Harley thing left a bad taste in both of our mouths that they were all about looks but no real quality for a lot of riding. Hate having to call a tow truck from the dealer to come get it off in Frederick county someplace.

By comparison, all of our Vespa's the family has, have never let us down anywhere. Reliable like we wished our over priced and over hyped Harley's had been. We've fallen in love with our Vespa scooters. We've taken trips to Assetegue Island for camping, rode the Blue Ridge parkway to Cherokee and back, and enjoyed every mile. We take tham everywhere we rode the motorcycles, with the exception of the highway. But we see more interesting things on the two lane state roads anyways.

As far as being like going from a shelby to a focus, no. It's more like going from a big old American car like a Buick, to a mini-cooper. Smaller and loads more fun. No way I'd ever go back.

FHJ69

Mar 13, 2011
    Upper PDRMC
    Grew up in Bethesda at River road and Wilson Lane... then lived in Gaithersburg in the Diamond Farms development... Now out in the Ag reserve in upper MoCo north of Poolesville. You can never go home....

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Did you ever ?

Grew up in Bethesda at River road and Wilson Lane... then lived in Gaithersburg in the Diamond Farms development... Now out in the Ag reserve in upper MoCo north of Poolesville. You can never go home....

Go to dances when you were a kid at Little Flower Church ? lol

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    The PX150is a 150cc, and cruises about 50mph. Tops out about 60. The better half sold her PX150 because with her arthritis couldn't do the all in one shift and clutch with her left hand. Now she rides one of the new style automatic non shifter ones, a GT-200. It will do a bit over 80 mph, cruises at 60 to 65 with no problem. Bro-in-law rides a GTS-250, tops out about 85 to 90, cruises on any highway.

I never liked the Harleys at all, and only had one from 1997 to 2001. Before that I had three BMW's, a R65, an R80, and the last one was a K75. Loved them, but got bored, but spoiled. Used to quality and reliability that the Harleys didn't deliver. Both mine, A '95 1200 sportster, and my better halts a '97 super glide had more problems apiece than any one of my BMW's in spite of the beemers having a lot more miles put on them. The Harley thing left a bad taste in both of our mouths that they were all about looks but no real quality for a lot of riding. Hate having to call a tow truck from the dealer to come get it off in Frederick county someplace.

By comparison, all of our Vespa's the family has, have never let us down anywhere. Reliable like we wished our over priced and over hyped Harley's had been. We've fallen in love with our Vespa scooters. We've taken trips to Assetegue Island for camping, rode the Blue Ridge parkway to Cherokee and back, and enjoyed every mile. We take tham everywhere we rode the motorcycles, with the exception of the highway. But we see more interesting things on the two lane state roads anyways.

As far as being like going from a shelby to a focus, no. It's more like going from a big old American car like a Buick, to a mini-cooper. Smaller and loads more fun. No way I'd ever go back.
    150CC from 1000CC?

Did you at least keep the helmet?

Or you got this now? :D

unionjack-vespa-helmet%5B1%5D.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads