• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yellowdog

MDS Supporter
    Jul 4, 2011
    Columbia
    When I received my carry permit, I had the standard restriction of valid only while being an employee of XYZ company. Since then, I have changed jobs and work for ABC company with same duties such as carrying cash etc. I have since submitted a modification letter to MSP. My questions are, how long will MSP take to approve my mod and is my current permit valid ?

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If you don't work for XYZ company any more than you permit is not valid.

Did the owner of ABC company write a letter stating that he/she wants you to be armed during the commission of your duties?

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Yes, the owner of my new company was happy to write a letter which I included with the mod request.

Well kudos to you for finding two right minded companies to work for, but your permit is still not valid.

I would give the MSP a few weeks and then start rattling their cage. I'm sure they don't see this much and they're all standing around slackjawed and glassy eyed like they've just seen a chupacabra in the day room at the LD......

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    Yeah I believe the MSP will want the permit back since you no longer work for XYZ and they may very well tell you to go thru all the hoops for a new one except for the training if the timing is right. And who knows they even be funny and disapprove you just for kicks.

Last edited:

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Yeah I believe the MSP will want the permit back since you no longer work for XYZ and they may very well tell you to go thru all the hoops for a new one except for the training if the timing is right. And who knows they even be funny a disapprove you just for kicks.

And they might have you wash and wax Pallozzi's car as a condition of getting a new permit, but I'll take Two Things That Aren't Going to Happen for a thousand, Alex.

Yeah I believe the MSP will want the permit back since you no longer work for XYZ and they may very well tell you to go thru all the hoops for a new one except for the training if the timing is right. And who knows they even be funny a disapprove you just for kicks.

Damn, I hope this isn't true.... I would think that they'd just transfer to the new company and put it in the permit's record as being switched over to the new company.

When I received my carry permit, I had the standard restriction of valid only while being an employee of XYZ company. Since then, I have changed jobs and work for ABC company with same duties such as carrying cash etc. I have since submitted a modification letter to MSP. My questions are, how long will MSP take to approve my mod and is my current permit valid ?

Please update soon, I'm really interested in seeing the result. It would be nice to attach an option to the permit such as "Professional security duties", "Law Enforcement", etc..... that way you can still have valid permit only when working for company that allows and requests you to perform those duties. Would make reactivation of permit much quicker. More of these situations and I'm sure the permit process will become more automated, standardized, well-known to both MSP and to MD citizens, and more regulated rather than the luck of the draw and whether you have a reviewing officer in a good mood that day.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Please update soon, I'm really interested in seeing the result. It would be nice to attach an option to the permit such as "Professional security duties", "Law Enforcement", etc..... that way you can still have valid permit only when working for company that allows and requests you to perform those duties. Would make reactivation of permit much quicker. More of these situations and I'm sure the permit process will become more automated, standardized, well-known to both MSP and to MD citizens, and more regulated rather than the luck of the draw and whether you have a reviewing officer in a good mood that day.

I know plenty of business owners and employees who have permits and have yet to meet one who didn't get a permit if he was otherwise not prohibited. And I have yet to see a case before the HPRB of a business owner or employee not being able to obtain a permit.

Business owners and employees with letters fall into a made up classification of those who just by being an owner or employee have G&S. To my knowledge the MSP does not deviate from the script and simply check the boxes like automatons.

Yellowdog

MDS Supporter
    Jul 4, 2011
    Columbia
    Got my modified permit in the mail the same day as my original post. Took about 2 weeks from when I mailed in my request letter and about a week from when my check was cashed. the new permit has the same number with a "-A" after it along with the standard work restriction wording and the "prohibited by law" clause. A very simple, quick process if one ignores the BS you have to go through to get a permit in the first place.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Good outcome. Kudos to MSP for a change. For those with any type of permit, whether restricted to business or unrestricted, COMAR includes a requirement that a permit holder must notify MSP of any change in employment within 10 days of the change. Email is acceptable.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    i would think MSP would want to reestablish the record on a permit for a new employer, including a letter from them.

but i am far from an expert on this subject.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Didn't have to mail the original permit in nor reapply. Just a simple letter requesting the mod along with $10

Got my modified permit in the mail the same day as my original post. Took about 2 weeks from when I mailed in my request letter and about a week from when my check was cashed. the new permit has the same number with a "-A" after it along with the standard work restriction wording and the "prohibited by law" clause. A very simple, quick process if one ignores the BS you have to go through to get a permit in the first place.

Very good to hear, and thanks for sharing.

'Restrictions' on a Wear&Carry permit is ridiculous and originally happened quite by accident. It's now being used to confuse and infringe the rights of law-abiding citizens who jump through all the hoops, do the right thing and get a permit. Shameful on Maryland to continue putting 'restrictions' on the cards.

Any business types hiring old timers? :D

Funny you should ask...
    I'm thinking many businesses could hire upstanding, well qualified, trained folks like you and MANY others in this forum to make cash deposits. Of course the pay would be pitiful, and you would have to be available (on call) 7/24, even holidays. You would be required in writing by your employer to be armed and available to pick up business cash from any location and deliver it to another location (often a bank). The randomness of this part time job would necessitate that you be armed at all times; which could be terribly inconvenient if you were out with your family. Granted, it's just a part time job, and you might only get the call to pickup/deliver cash a couple times a year, but would still have the burden of being armed, and on call all the time, even nights and weekends.

You want this crummy job with little pay, no benefits and the trouble of carrying a gun all the time? You might be crazy... like a fox. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom