• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Hey, does anyone launch model rockets anywhere near Severn (Odenton, Gambrills, Hanover, Glen Burnie) area. My grands want to get into Model rockets after the two oldest did with Scouts. I'm thinking maybe GORC park or the Piney Orchard Elementary fields. The Severn Danza park is right around the corner but they are really busy on the weekends. I'm not sure if the schools would have any problems with launches, we had some push-back in SC doing RC aircraft on school property.

K3LAG

Not as close as you'd might like but the Maryland Delaware Rocketry Association has a launch at the Central Sod Farm on the eastern shore the weekend of Sept 10th-11th. Check out MDRocketry.org for details.

There will be everything from estes type rockets to moderate sized high power rockets. The largest rockets get launched at our other field (Higg's Farm) when its not growing season.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    A friend and I tried to get my nephews into model rockets. Sadly, they gave nary a flying f*ck at a rolling doughnut on the matter.

OP, I wish you and your grands better luck.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    The boys did launch with the scouts and enjoyed it. The 11 yo asked me last week about getting a rocket to launch. I've bought a launch kit and a few rockets for us to start with. Just don't want to get in trouble launching local. I've verified that the rules allow class 1 rockets without issue but worried about private property issues. I'll check with our church and the local schools next week. Figured somebody around here had experience.

rondon600

Mar 16, 2009
    I’ve launched at Severna Park middle school and cape st Claire elementary. Just be prepared to abort mission if organized sports are going on. A slight breeze means Yiu may not get your rocket back. I’d bring some smaller engines to start with. We had a 2 stage that went vertical stage 1 and horizontal stage 2. Never saw that again. Hobby lobby and star hobbies by the bay bridge stock estes rockets.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    They used to do them down at NASA Greenbelt on a regular basis. Real astronauts would show up to talk with the kids. This was 10 years ago. Not sure if they still do it.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

ccarson

I'm old school
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 28, 2013
    Montgomery County
    My son and I did this when He and I were in the Indian Guides
    I am sure I have some engines and parts for building still if anyone is interested
    MoCo Gaithersburg/Derwood Area

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I can't even fly a drone around here due to proximity of BWI. But they've never said anything about rockets... :innocent0 :D ;)

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    They used to do them down at NASA Greenbelt on a regular basis. Real astronauts would show up to talk with the kids. This was 10 years ago. Not sure if they still do it.

According to their website, the Goddard launches are still being held by NARHAMS...

Goddard Launches​

NARHAMS also supports the oldest public demonstration launches in the United States. These launches are held on the first Sunday of each month at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, starting at 1 pm. Anyone who wishes to fly at these events may do so. Due to the limited recovery area, the flying of high power models and untested designs is discouraged. The impulse limit at Goddard is D engine or less.

I've done launches in elementary school athletic fields over the years. In this area, you need to limit the size of the engines or you'll never see the rockets again.

If you can make it to one of the MDRA launches at either the Sod Farm or Price with your grandkids, they'll have a ton of fun. They even have a "bucket of rockets" for kids who don't have one of their own. Then, they get to hear their name right before launch along with the folks who are launching seriously big rockets. To see the smiles on their faces is absolutely amazing.

JoeR

JoeR

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    MDRA launches sound awesome, i'll definitely look into that. I'm starting them with B4-4 engines and streamer recovery from Hobby Lobby in Glen Burnie.
    I checked the issue of launching near BWI without FAA approval and it states Class 1's are good, any rocket A-D. BUT AACO has regs that prohibit model rockets and RC aircraft in public parks.

§ 14-2-110. Model airplanes, rockets, and the like. A person may not launch or fly a power model airplane, rocket, or similar device from a park area without written permission from the Director. (1985 Code, Art. 19, § 2-110)

JaeLess

Nov 20, 2020
    We just launched them at Annapolis High school this Sunday without a problem. The Naval Academy stadium is a good place to go as well. We use smaller rockets though and no D sized rockets, because they will go too high and drift to far away…

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    I used to fly up to E motors at Annapolis Middle waaay back when. On evenings with low wind you recovered on field with no issues. Stuck one on the roof one time. Oops.

During the same time I did weekends at AACC. I'm not sure what that looks like now.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I wanted to get into it as a kid, but had less support than interest, I guess.

After seeing this thread, I peeked at the offerings at Hobby Lobby, and it's pretty darned affordable for basics.

I doubt I'll start, but if the grandkids show an interest, I'll be there.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Thread brings back memories
    Used to launch them out of the back yard and public school field.
    Found that cutting the centers out of the parachutes or replacing chutes with streamers helped keeper them from drifting away so retrieval was easier as they fell down faster but unharmed.
    Built a ton of them when younger then later in life with the kids

Next thing us “adults” were building rockets from cardboard tubes carpet came on and using
    1/4” plywood for fins . Those we had to go out to
    Rc flying field where I was flying planes at the time to launch them.
    Model rockets were and still are fun to build and launch

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom