• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    That is good stuff. I've used it several times in the last few months.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    It would seem that these pages are no longer available, sorry to say.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    mmmmm...wasn't that what you were looking for?

He used to have up there actual pdfs of the complete manuals for every one of the listed firearms.

ricciardelli

Dec 21, 2007
    It would seem that these pages are no longer available, sorry to say.

It became necessary for me to "remove" the military manual and firearm manual pages because there are some idiots out there who, because I made them available, felt it was necessary to download each and every one. Not because they needed them, but because they just thought it would be "fun" to have them.

Because of this the ISP who hosts stevespages.com has sent me several letters advising me that the usage on the server for my pages has far exceeded what I am allowed on a monthly basis. The provider has theatened to remove all of stevespages if the usage does not conform to my original agreement, or unless I start paying around $500 a month for a "commercial/dedicated" server.

On the 15th of December I checked my CPU usage, and it was already over 300% of the total allowable time for the entire month!!

I had no choice but to remove the downloads, or loose everything!

I have no idea why some users feel the need to download 1,111 ZIP files (9gb), or 1,262 PDF files (3gb), but they do, and there are many of them!

These files are not FREE...it costs me to maintain the site and make them available...and as much as I would like to keep them available, I am NOT going to spend $500 a month for a server, especially when the donations abount to around $3.78 a month!

I have noticed some very negative comments in this thread about me and my site and the recent removal of the manuals...

I will not respond to what that poster had to say, for several reasons. But if he would like to deposit $500 on the first of every month into my PayPal account, I will be glad to accept it...

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    It became necessary for me to "remove" the military manual and firearm manual pages because there are some idiots out there who, because I made them available, felt it was necessary to download each and every one. Not because they needed them, but because they just thought it would be "fun" to have them.

Steve,

It's a darned shame that there are people out there who will abuse a resource like this if they are given a chance. I think we all understand why the pages were taken out from public view.

I for one, have a few manuals for mil-surps that I got from your site and will be forwarding a donation some time today.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Dang, I've been moderated! :o (by...me. I'm losing my mind :sad20:)

While I can understand not wanting people to download every file you have to offer, I still think it is a bit rash to call the offending users idiots and pull the files without so much as a friendly request (or harsh warning). Also, there are plenty of ways to make it difficult for users to grab that many files without a significant amount of work. For one, don't link directly to the PDF files. If you want to keep the resource available, I'm willing to write a script for you that would require user registration or some other method for making it difficult and/or impossible to grab all of the files with ease. Consider it an act of penance on my part.

**EDIT: Steve shared his logs with me, and yes, there are some idiots hitting his site.**

Last edited:

sbarber7973

Certified Fat Bastard
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2007
    Hyattsville, MD
    I would like to see the manual section to stay open, I know I have submitted about 3 or 4 manuals to Steve that he did not have, and on the same token I have used about 2 off of his site that I did not have, it is a great site that should be utilized correctly.

DD214 I think that requirement of a user name and password would be a great addition to prevent users from hogging all of his bandwidth... I was thinking something along the line of a user only being allowed 5 downloads in a 24 hour period. Well just my .02¢

Thanks Steve for having that site up for all of us to use :beer:. and Welcome to the forum.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    I have noticed some very negative comments in this thread about me and my site and the recent removal of the manuals...

Welcome to the Site.

I was looking back through this thread and didn't see anything that was negative, quite the opposite there was praise that it was a great resource and that a few folks were bummed not to have access to it any longer.

I think we all understand the bottom line so I would not be surprised to see a few donations in the coming days as Norton indicated.

Have you considered making a posting about the associated costs on your site? (assuming you have not already done so and I just missed it like a dumbass :) )

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I was looking back through this thread and didn't see anything that was negative, quite the opposite there was praise that it was a great resource and that a few folks were bummed not to have access to it any longer.

It was me and I self moderated myself :o. I sent some money his way and it would be nice if other users here would do the same, as I'm sure we've generated a fair amount of traffic to his site.

**Note to self: Don't post while inebriated. :smack:***

squeky

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2007
    Frederick
    Anti-leeching scripts, problem solved. There are lots of options. You may want to look into different hosts, it sounds like they're trying to upsell a service (CPU cycles don't come from downloading files). You don't have any scripts on the site, so your CPU usage shouldn't be crazy. Serving PDFs is only a tax on bandwidth. Also, try optimizing the files themselves. You'll have leechers if you're hosting files, you need to figure out how to deal with them now :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom