• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Figured I'd post this in case anyone else was interested in upgrading a machete sheath. I've been needing a machete sheath with better retention for a couple of my grass machetes, an 18" Ontario Military and a 17.5" ESEE. Figured MOLLE compatibility and the ability to sling back/chest would be nice for carry flexibility. Even though I only use grass machetes for farm chores, they're too long to be hanging on my work belt. The only sheath I could find online that came close to what I was looking for was the Rothco 18 inch Molle Compatible Machete Sheath. Online reviews are pretty good, but a few indicate serious flaws in design and materials. The 4 customer complaints I was most concerned with were: "Sheath was shipped folded in half, cracking the plastic liner", "The liner sucks and does not fully enclose the blade, particularly the point", "The sheath is single-stitched", and "The sheath handle strap loop is too large and doesn't properly secure the machete".

As usual, whenever there are bad reviews, there are positive reviews to contradict them. Decided to go ahead and try modifying one and if it worked out, buy another one and modify it for the 2nd machete. Ordered the Rothco molle sheath for $16.99 (free shipping) from Amazon. Also ordered an Ontario Knife Machete Sheath (P0140) OD GREEN for $13.11 prime at the same time to use as a replacement liner. Most customer complaints about the Ontario sheath were that the "belt clip rivet scratched the blade during sheathing/unsheathing" and that the "fit was too tight" for mk 1, mod 0 grass machetes. Otherwise, ratings were GTG. Since I would be using it as a liner, figured I'd be removing the belt clip anyway. The only thing left to worry about was the fit being too tight.

Product impressions: The Rothco Molle Sheath was better than expected [pic 1]. Reports on the liner were accurate though, it's pure crap and doesn't cover the entire blade [pic 2]. Material reminds me of butyl rubber, but is weak and can be ripped to pieces by hand without much force. The only good thing about it is that it can be easily removed. The rest of the sheath is great, med/hvy polyester material, large velcro belt loop, 4 molle straps [pic 3], 2 pouches w/velcro flaps, 2 d-rings for shoulder strapping etc., and it is in fact double-stitched throughout [pic 4]. The Ontario sheath is constructed of thick rubberized plastic, with holes cut along its length for drainage. Seems almost overbuilt for my purpose as a liner, but fits nice and snug within the Rothco molle sheath. In addition to the LBE belt clip, it has a pull-through sharpener riveted at the top. Checked fit with both machetes. Dimensions were perfect. In fact lengthwise, there was more than an inch to spare.

Product mods: Since the Ontario liner was too long, rather than removing the belt clip, I simply marked and cut the top of the liner off with a hacksaw. Even though the sheath/liner fit was just about perfect, decided the use expanding gorilla glue on the top third of the liner to keep it in place. First, I wrapped the top third of the liner with gorilla tape to prevent the expanding glue from entering the liner though the drain holes [pic 5]. Then, ran a bead of glue to the top and bottom of the taped section of the liner every inch, incrementally until the liner was fully seated [pic 6]. [pic 7] shows the completed sheath with a machete inserted. Blade fit and retention are good, tighter for the Ontario Military due to a rough blade coating (but not too tight), pretty much perfect for my needs. The grip loop strap fits well and positively retains the ESEE, but will allow the Ontario Military to be withdrawn several inches if enough force is applied (~10ft-lbs) due to the more uniform grip shape. Total mod time was < 10 minutes (made the second one in ~5). $30 might be a bit steep, but they turned out exactly like what I was looking for in the first place. I'll update this post if they start falling apart.

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
      pic 1.jpg
      23.2 KB · Views: 749
    • pic 2.jpg
      pic 2.jpg
      9.4 KB · Views: 725
    • pic 3.jpg
      pic 3.jpg
      20.3 KB · Views: 754
    • pic 4.jpg
      pic 4.jpg