• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    What happened to the separation of church and state?
    What happened to freedom of speech?

The standard (tax-wise, anyways) is that the religious organization can't promote/endorse a candidate. There's nothing stopping someone from going in there and saying what they want, including "vote for me", and rightfully so. There's nothing even stopping the church leader from saying "vote anti-abortion" so long as they don't name someone in particular.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Guess we’ll have to wait and see if anyone else is allowed to speak.

If not that might seem like an endorsement to some

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

safegunners

Aug 21, 2016
    Smithsburg MD
    What happened to the separation of church and state?

Raskin is apparently ignorant of 1st 2 amendments to the Constitution.

The more accurate observation is he doesn’t care

Its more so that he doesnt care .... along with all the other politicians who blatantly violate the constitution

zx10guy

Alpha Geek
    Sep 29, 2022
    Maryland
    I felt the pastor was telling us he was not politically motivated but was allowing at the same time a left sided politician to address the members from the pulpit. I probably would have been more accepting of having both political spectrums to address the members.

Maybe republicans were not asking to address the black churches or they were told they were not welcome at the time but the democrats sure did and the doors were open to them.

Ok. The additional explanation makes sense. I would have walked out too with the pastor allowing that whimpering weasel to have a captive audience.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Separation of church and state is not in the Constitution.
    Other than, in a pretty important way, right there in the Bill of Rights. Government is prohibited from promoting a given religion as an official, or favored one. The founders - just like they didn’t like The Crown’s take on firearm ownership - didn’t like The Crown’s take on religion tied to government.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Other than, in a pretty important way, right there in the Bill of Rights. Government is prohibited from promoting a given religion as an official, or favored one. The founders - just like they didn’t like The Crown’s take on firearm ownership - didn’t like The Crown’s take on religion tied to government.
    Church of England anyone?

:lol2:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Thanks for the reminder.
    Still a far cry from a candidate/incumbent going into a church and asking for your vote.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan

WHEREAS, our Declaration of Independence is the Fundamental Act of our Founding and part of the Organic Law of our Land and recognizes that our Rights come from the Creator God; and that among these Rights is the Right of self-defense; and

WHEREAS, our Declaration of Independence recognizes that the purpose of government is to secure the Rights God gave us; and

WHEREAS, the Constitution of the United States is one of enumerated powers only; and WE THE PEOPLE did not grant to the federal government any power whatsoever over the Country at Large to restrict our arms;
    and

1. The use of the term, “for the Country at Large”, with respect to federal edicts; and “to the State at Large”, with respect to State edicts, is not accidental.
    While our US Constitution delegates only “enumerated powers” to Congress over the Country at Large; it delegates “general legislative powers” to Congress over the federal enclaves listed at Article I, §8, cl. 17. The exercise by Congress of its legislative powers over the federal enclaves is restricted by the “Bill of Rights”, including the Second Amendment. So while Congress is prohibited from making for these federal enclaves, any laws which infringe the Right of The People “to keep and bear Arms”; Congress may properly require individuals visiting inmates in federal prisons, the psych ward of military hospitals, the mint, federal courthouses, and other such federal enclaves, to leave their arms in their vehicles.
    In stark contrast with the federal Constitution, State Constitutions typically [and foolishly] grant “general legislative powers” over the State at Large to the State legislature. The exercise of these general legislative powers is restricted only by the Declaration of Rights in the State Constitution [as well as by contradictory provisions in the US Constitution].
    So while State Legislatures are prohibited from infringing the Rights of Citizens to keep and bear arms throughout the State at Large;
    State Legislatures may properly require individuals visiting inmates in State or County prisons or jails, County or State courthouses, and such like, to leave their arms in their vehicles.
    2. And remember! That any provision in any State Constitution which purports to disarm the Citizens of the State would be unconstitutional as in violation of the Second Amendment, and as in violation of Article I, §8, clauses 15 & 16, US Constit., which provide for the organizing, arming and training of the Militia. Since Congress has the power to require Citizens to be armed and trained [and Congress exercised that power when it passed the Militia Act of 1792 link], any provision in any State Constitution [or State statute] which interferes with such power is unconstitutional within the meaning of the Supremacy Clause (Art. VI, cl. 2, US Constit.).
    3. And here are Michael Boldin’s (Tenth Amendment Center) kind words on this Resolution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsLWuAIXAPA Thank you, Michael!
    revised Jan. 29-30, 2020

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    I for one might wanna go OC around downtown Bethesda before this bill is enacted just to prove a point… and make libs uncomfortable by the mere presence of one

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    Thankfully I live in Frederick County now after moving up from Montgomery, but I still frequently travel there for church and to visit family and friends. I just upgraded to an MSI Executive member and donated a little extra to the litigation fund because of this and the likely upcoming MD state attempts to infringe on our rights.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    And not one example of a permit holder committing a crime

Sanctimonious elitists

“You see that. It says Maryland Shall Issue”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts