• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Math is a sore subject for me too and always has been, I just focus on the other sections and try my best on the math. It's the section that makes me very nervous, from what I hear the Federal positions have some slightly advanced math sections, and for what?

Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    Math is a sore subject for me too and always has been, I just focus on the other sections and try my best on the math. It's the section that makes me very nervous, from what I hear the Federal positions have some slightly advanced math sections, and for what?

What makes me mad is that all throughout school you are taught everything on a calculator (for me anyway). Then on these tests you cannot use one, as if you aren't going to have one available for whatever you are doing while on patrol. Its kind of disheartening but you just have to do your best like you said.

-Z

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    I think its just another way to weed out the 1000+ applicants these agencies get. I would not sweat it very much. What blows my mind is how many shady applicants some of these agencies allow to move through processing. For example I've applied to about 4 different departments in Md. and watched entire rooms full of applicants filling out background booklets. One agency for example (left nameless) everyone was frantically writing during the portion in which you give details to any and everything negative in your background, which was a good thing in my mind showing that most people are taking the integrity value seriously. Almost all of these men and women looked "squared away" with suits, ties, mature attitudes and very professional dispositions. Then at another agency which has a history of corruption problems half of it's applicants looked like ex cons, joking around, and lots of socializing during the testing portions. I was the only person who was writing during the background portion of the application in a room of over 250 people. During that portion I overheard a few gentlemen and ladies stating that they checked their criminal history multiple times before coming to the test. I thought to myself " Why the hell do you need to check your criminal history, you should know it!". Many of these people continued through the next phases of the processing. Scary huh, do your best at testing man, I wish you luck:thumbsup:, wish me some luck too, but I won't be applying to the Park Police, I'm looking outside of Md now.

Fstbk272

Jun 1, 2010
    MD
    I did but I did not do well enough on the math portion. I was graded a 95 or above on all sections except for the math. I am reapplying this week though.

-Z

Ah I see. I dont remember what my sores were. I passed with a 95 overall though. I have fingerprinting and Poly this week and next week.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    If you get in the academy, tough it out, put in a year and then lateral to another department if you wish to do so. The better departments are really tough to get into today. Laterals are the way to go if you can't get to where you really want to be right away. Take the time to get your AA degree if you don't have one. The better departments require that now. One of the best, if not the best in Md is Howard County. They also require a AA degree, BUT they have a program where you are dual enrolled in the academy and at the County College at the same time. Pretty good deal, good department, good pay, benefits and great retirement. Not sure if they are running another class this Winter, but if not they will probably start one in July. Tough academy.

As a side note... if math or some other subject isn't your strong point, look into adult classes at your County College. It will help you in more ways than one.

K3silk

Jul 16, 2008
    Rockville

Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    new that name look like name on the officers forum lol like said above just apply to everything known to man. My buddy wanted to get into Rockville or MCPD but could not, so he went to DC then transfer this year. Keep your head up and keep trying the more time you apply the better the chance

Thanks, thats the info I keep getting from my buddies who are already working.

-Z

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom