• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DundalkSmithy

May 12, 2009
    Dundalk, MD
    Picked one of these beauties up back in March for $599.95 shipped right to my door from AIM. Have always wanted one. All numbers matching except for the magazine floor-plate. Shes a 1943 Izzy. Now my question to those who are more knowledgeable is, how can I tell if at one point in time this rifle was originally designated a real PU sniper from the factory and not just a mosin with a scope thrown on it?? I've done a lot of research on it and I don't THINK it is but, I'm no Mosin expert.

20150610_165508.jpg

20150610_165605.jpg

20150610_165648.jpg

20150610_165330.jpg

20150610_165422.jpg

20150610_165358.jpg

20150610_165538.jpg

20150610_165249.jpg

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Well... it looks like it is a re-snipered PU. Probably just a reproduction IMHO. Still for 600 that's about right for a good reproduction. I own a reproduction myself and love it despite it not being the real thing. Also, one picture you are missing: the side of the scope mount. It should have the serial of the scope engraved on if it is legitimate (among other things).

Last edited:
    I have one too. These are not "built" sniper rifles made from regular M91/30 rifles and fake scopes and sold as "real" sniper rifles. These are true snipers with authentic scopes. The scopes are not original to the rifle of course. My rifle has the original scope serial number lined out on the receiver. AIM has always been a straight shooter for me. I've purchased many C&R hand and long guns from them. I also have a retired sniper that I pan to restore to full sniper status including a authentic scope. I'll post pictures tonight if I can find my camera.

Randy Wood

Jan 30, 2010
    It's the real deal. Different facilities used slightly different procedures re: scrubbing the old scope number on the barrel shank during the post-war refurbishment processes. The scope is genuine also. You can check your rifle's serial number at the Gunboards sniper rifle forum and compare it to the list of known authentic snipers in the sticky note at the top of the forum. Chances are 99% that it will fall into the serial range / block of known snipers from 1943.

These $600 PU refurbs were a great buy. You did well.

Randy

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have one too. These are not "built" sniper rifles made from regular M91/30 rifles and fake scopes and sold as "real" sniper rifles. These are true snipers with authentic scopes. The scopes are not original to the rifle of course. My rifle has the original scope serial number lined out on the receiver. AIM has always been a straight shooter for me. I've purchased many C&R hand and long guns from them. I also have a retired sniper that I pan to restore to full sniper status including a authentic scope. I'll post pictures tonight if I can find my camera.

Like he says,
    They took the rifles apart during refurbish just like any other mosin refurb with the [x] on the barrel. sometimes they strike through the old serial number, sometimes they grind them down, but then re-serialize them.
    Good thing is they replace the glass on the scope and refurbish them so they hold zero better than if they had not.

Shoot it, and see how well it holds zero. Let it cool a couple minutes before shots. If it does not meet your expectations, look at the Finn Canvas wrap tips. With the Snipers, you can tell the accuracy difference between surplus, factory and reloads.

My Sniper had a REALLY clean and tight bore. It actually measured a 1 on my 308 gauge it was so tight.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    I believe it's the old serial number on the left side of the receiver --- which means --- the rifle was selected to be a sniper rifle at the factory, because of it's inherent accuracy. I also have a beautiful Mosin 1943 "Izzy" sniper, with all matching numbers except for the scope.

My old serial number was crossed-out with a single chisel slash mark --- which means --- the sniper rifle was converted back to an infantry rifle, and Century converted it back into a sniper.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Legit sniper.

AIM was selling legit refurb snipers and the "NN" prefix is a known serial block for '43 Izhevsk PU snipers.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    4c81f2b9e78953155ad992293780cf1f.jpg

So I took a closer look at mine. I noticed that yours does not have the scope number along the barrel as can be seen in the above picture (xxx'd out). Maybe yours was scrubbed? I thought that Izhevsk did this on all snipers, but with anything Mosin, who knows? Interestingly, my scope base has both the original xxx'd barrel number EP'd as well as the serial number and scope serial number. Other than the butt plate, the rest of my rifle matches the serial number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DundalkSmithy

May 12, 2009
    Dundalk, MD
    Thanks for the replies, compliments and info, you guys are awesome! My first thought upon inspection was that the original serial # for the scope was definitely scrubbed. Turns out that the rifle came from Tulsky(I think I may have spelled that wrong) and scrubbing is common with them. The scope mount has the rifles serial# and scope serial# EP'd. Now to get her out and see what she can do!

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Thanks for the replies, compliments and info, you guys are awesome! My first thought upon inspection was that the original serial # for the scope was definitely scrubbed. Turns out that the rifle came from Tulsky(I think I may have spelled that wrong) and scrubbing is common with them. The scope mount has the rifles serial# and scope serial# EP'd. Now to get her out and see what she can do!

Tula was the plant location. Tulsky is the way the Russians would pronounce the adjective describing something from Tula.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom