• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    Someone asked the other day about how to tell which rifles to pick out of a crate of refurbs. The following is a rough guide with values but will help you pick out a good one. This applies to the refurbs only, otherwise would be too difficult and long. I have seen examples of all of these.

Tikka 91/30 - This would obviously be a Finn barreled rifle captured by the Soviets - $500 +
    US made Remington or NEW - $300
    Hungarian 02 marked - $350
    SA marked denotes Finn capture then Soviet recapture - $300
    1945 or later date only made by Izhevsk - $250
    Imperial markings 1917 or earlier - $250
    Ex Sniper - Tulas have CH mark, Izhevsk scope numbers on barrel - $175
    MO Marked, double or triple date - $170
    DDR marked 1,2 or 3 in triangle - $170
    Any hex receiver - $150

Hope this helps

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    How much for a one-of-a-kind Mosin with a rear sight that is angled to the length of the rifle? :innocent0 The dovetail under the sight is angled about 2-3 degrees from the barrel. When I first got the rifle, I noticed the front sight was tapped out far to one side. I thought that it had worked loose and no big deal. It wasn't until I started fiddling with the rear sight that I noticed how off it was.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    What are they listed under in the Blue Book? I seem to recall multi-manufacturer military firearms like the M1 are in their own section but I can't remember where they hid them. Haven't tried to wade though the Standard Catalog of Firearms yet to see if they did something similar.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    Nice post.

Anything like this floating around here for mauser 98ks? Search didnt work to well.

if you want any info on k98's feel free to PM me, if i dont know it off the top of my head i have a copy of "backbone of the wehrmacht" sitting a few feet away which is the bible for K98 info.

most of the important info with K98s is gonna be the codes, if you know the codes, you can spot rarer productions that might be under priced.

here's a good cheat sheet on the codes and production totals, gives you a good basic idea of rarity, if you go to a gunshow shopping for a k98 it can help to have a copy in your pocket.

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=126&t=42375

of course there are tons of other markings and other factors with k98's that can effect the value as well.

if you're interested in collecting k98's i highly recommend you get yourself a copy of backbone of the wehrmacht, its a fantastic book with more information than you can possibly remember on k98s and lots of high quality pictures.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Interesting guide.
    How about non hex from either factory.
    Does this list assume all matching, forced match or no matching?
    People who are impatient, don't have a C&R or are not traveling to a gun show are paying more I think. Pulling the one I wanted out of a crate of Mosins and looking at all of them before I did was worth the extra $30 I spent over the prices listed. I guess it all is a bit of perspective, but your relative pricing you show is enlightening. I keep beating myself in the head for passing up a Finn in January before I realized it was a good buy. Fun stuff learning about this it is.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    they didnt make alot of them post war

I have a Hex/Tula that seems to say 1951 on it (looks a lot different that the other "3"s I am seeing).

Follow up: What kind of markings would indicate an Izhevsk? Just the lack of the Star?

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    Look this guide does not factor the panic factor in when people are scared that they can't get firearms, but since it was made for refurbished rifles they should be all stamped matching, electropencil sinks desirability about $15-$20 per rifle. Post 1944 Mosin 91/30s are very hard to find, but I have seen pictures of some as late as 1950 ones, the Izhevsk logo is much bigger on those. Tula never made Mosin rifles or carbines after 1944. The vast majority of post 1944 Mosins that have turned up have actually been ex-snipers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom