• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mattjans

Feb 19, 2017
    Rockville, MD
    Hi folks...My first purchase was a 1957 (or so) Mossberg 295 12ga bolt action. Identical to this one: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/761703115

I want to use it for turkey hunting this year, and was recommended to get a full choke. Warning, I'm new to shotguns, so don't know more about chokes than what I read about today :) My shotgun has something screwed on the end just like the one at the link above. I assume this is the choke, or a choke cap or something. I have the same one as in that GunBroker ad, and when I unscrew it, there's nothing inside or in the barrel. It doesn't look like the poly choke I've been reading about.

So is this my choke, or just part of it? It doesn't seem to reduce barell diameter much if it all.

I've found some stores online, but 295 parts seem hard to come by. Anyone know of a good local shop or collector who might have other chokes for this?

Anyone know if a 185, 195 choke fits on a 295?

Thanks!

-Matt

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    You might want to call havlin sales. I have used them for parts before for some of my older Mossberg 22 rifles and they are pretty good to work with.

If it is a factory installed choke I would guess it is a c-lect choke system and if you are missing the adjusting sleeve they will have it if anyone will (call if not on the website to see if they have it). I have one on one of my old Mossberg bolt action shotguns. As far as it not looking like it reduces the diameter much, it won't. You have to look very carefully to notice the difference.

https://havlinsales.com/bolt.htm

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I was about to recomend the above source.

These are NOT C-Lect choke units . These are individual chokes of Full, Mod , or IC . Think of them as the mirror image of choke tubes , but external instead of internal .

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    Look very closely at your choke tube, maybe with a magnifying glass. Somewhere it will have markings to indicate full, mod (modified) or ic (improved cylinder). I had a 295 years ago. It came with only a full coke. I know that there is a test with a dime to determine choke size, but I just can't remember what size it indicates. Maybe someone will remember and post it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There was a folklore test involving a dime , but alas there is enough variation in basic bore diameter that is essentially meaningless.

Look closely on the choke attachment. If there are no words or letters, there is also a system of stars . 1 star = full, 2 stars = modified, 3 stars = improved cylinder.

When all else fails actually measure . Gunsmiths and advanced hobbyist have special tools to take readings up to 6in or so back from muzzle or breech . But failing that , use your measuring device of choice that can read 0.001in ans measure the narrow( id) of the attachment, and the end of bbl with the device screwed off.

OR just pattern it .

Use a #7.5 1 1/8oz standard trap load , of first quality brand name , ie Win AA or equiv , not bulk promotional loads .

( Shoot at large piece of paper @ 40yds . Draw a 30in circle to enclose the densest part of the pattern. Count the holes inside the circle . Look up the number of pellets per oz , and divide . Repeat several times, up to 5 .)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom