• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeip24

Jan 14, 2012
    Baltimore
    I picked up a used mossberg 500a with a gold trigger a few months ago. I thought I wouldnt mind the gold trigger but I just cant live with it. Has anyone taken apart their trigger assembly? Also if any one would prefer the gold trigger I would be willing to trade.

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    It's the one place on a gun where gold plating is functional.
    Obviously you touch it with your sweaty, oily, acidic finger and it's a part you can't keep a heavy layer of lube on.

I like gold triggers and find them a nice looking practical feature.
    If it's too much "bling" for you, just paint it flat black, you'll retain the practical value of the plating.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I didn't much care for that shiny gold trigger when I bought my Mossberg several years ago either, but, you know what I learned... you can't see it when you're shooting at things.

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    "Hey!!!":bullhorn:

"Everybody look at me, over here. My shotgun has a gold trigger"!!:bigwhoop:

"That makes me better than you".

Seriously?

Gold plated triggers are functional and generally do indicate a higher level of quality and materials on a firearm.
    It's not like Saddam's plated AK's or a Mexican drug lord's pimp piece.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    can someone explain to me the benefits of a gold trigger? Ill be honest I just thought it was for looks lol.

It is. Today.

It's sort of why car makers put their logo emblem on their cars. So when you see it you know what it is.

It also reminds me of when Radio Shack started selling all of their connectors in Gold Plated. This is a simple marketing ploy to be able to sell the same Chinese crap for 3 times more. "It's Gold Plated that makes it awesome"... Not. It's still the same old crap just a different color.

The gold trigger is a time honored tradition that is supposed to say, Hey this is a super duper nice product. The fact is if they wanted to impress me with some serious quality from Mossberg they would design their shell tubes to not rust because their shotguns are so unbalanced and you have to carry that way.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    If you don't like it, you can buy a used non-gold trigger or trigger assembly off eBay for $5 to $65 respectively, then recoup some of the cost by selling your original.

That or try to trade on the classifieds or Craigslist... Good luck! --JB

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    It is. Today.

It's sort of why car makers put their logo emblem on their cars. So when you see it you know what it is.

It also reminds me of when Radio Shack started selling all of their connectors in Gold Plated. This is a simple marketing ploy to be able to sell the same Chinese crap for 3 times more. "It's Gold Plated that makes it awesome"... Not. It's still the same old crap just a different color.

The gold trigger is a time honored tradition that is supposed to say, Hey this is a super duper nice product. The fact is if they wanted to impress me with some serious quality from Mossberg they would design their shell tubes to not rust because their shotguns are so unbalanced and you have to carry that way.
    Boy you are clueless. Gold contacts are on there for a reason. Lower internal resistance means clearer audio and less noise especially at high power levels. And lower noise is why all computer parts use gold connectors also, as the faster the frequency the lower the resistance is needed to reduce noise. As for triggers gold was used because it is inert to things you can get on your fingers like sweat and other fluids. Browning and Mossberg have used gold plated triggers for a long time.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    It is. Today.

You need to stick to your Krylon Spray Paint because you don't know shit about Electronics or Gold triggers.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Boy you are clueless. Gold contacts are on there for a reason. Lower internal resistance means clearer audio and less noise especially at high power levels. And lower noise is why all computer parts use gold connectors also, as the faster the frequency the lower the resistance is needed to reduce noise. As for triggers gold was used because it is inert to things you can get on your fingers like sweat and other fluids. Browning and Mossberg have used gold plated triggers for a long time.

I never said gold "contacts" I am speaking about "connectors" and the gold plating on the outside of a connector has nothing to do with the conductivity of the connector on the outside when it is screwed to something using the threads on the inside. When you screw those gold plated Zinc connectors to something like a TV antenna channel box or a DVD or anything else it grinds the thin gold plating down to the Zinc it is made of and there is no gold plating to anything of value except make you pay more for it. The gold plating on the outside of a Connector is a completely different game versus a gold plated contact on a circuit board...

Now pay attention to what I am talking about. Here is your E for effort. Have a Great Day !

Last edited:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "I never said gold "contacts" I am speaking about "connectors" and the gold plating on the outside of a connector has nothing to do with the conductivity of the connector on the outside when it is screwed to something using the threads on the inside. When you screw those gold plated Zinc connectors to something like a TV antenna channel box or a DVD or anything else it grinds the thin gold plating down to the Zinc it is made of and there is no gold plating to anything of value except make you pay more for it. The gold plating on the outside of a Connector is a completely different game versus a gold plated contact on a circuit board...

Now pay attention to what I am talking about. Here is your E for effort. Have a Great Day !"

Having a great day here.

Anyway, the whole connector is dipped because of cost to isolate a surface for and also corrosion works from an unprotected surface to under a plated protected surface application. All those air bag systems use gold contacts in strategic location of the circuit. The whole connector or contact is plated.

Find a plated pistol, bumper, bike handle bar or whatever with a rust spot or two. The plating around the rust will be loose to some degree.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    "I never said gold "contacts" I am speaking about "connectors" and the gold plating on the outside of a connector has nothing to do with the conductivity of the connector on the outside when it is screwed to something using the threads on the inside. When you screw those gold plated Zinc connectors to something like a TV antenna channel box or a DVD or anything else it grinds the thin gold plating down to the Zinc it is made of and there is no gold plating to anything of value except make you pay more for it. The gold plating on the outside of a Connector is a completely different game versus a gold plated contact on a circuit board...

Now pay attention to what I am talking about. Here is your E for effort. Have a Great Day !"

Having a great day here.

Anyway, the whole connector is dipped because of cost to isolate a surface for and also corrosion works from an unprotected surface to under a plated protected surface application. All those air bag systems use gold contacts in strategic location of the circuit. The whole connector or contact is plated.

Find a plated pistol, bumper, bike handle bar or whatever with a rust spot or two. The plating around the rust will be loose to some degree.

Thanks I was going to mention that to clueless myself. Knowing something about a contact or connector does not mean you have any knowledge about how they are made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom