• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    Benelli, Versamax, and FN SLP are out of my budget. I want another 12 gauge semi. I have a AK style shotgun (VEPR 12).

I know Mossberg isn't the best quality product. But which model 930 would have the best fit and finish and reliability? I like the 930 SPX because it has ghost ring sights and pistol grip stock. However, if I go with the SPX, it does not allow for interchangeable chokes and the barrel is a little short for trap shooting, plus it doesn't have all the upgrades that the JM Pro comes with. The JM Pro has interchangeable choke capability, various upgrades, larger capacity, longer barrel for trap BUT no ghost ring sights or pistol grip stock. My uses are probably going to be slug shooting at targets, plinking, and informal trap shooting, nothing serious. If there is a difference between fit and finish and quality between the two that would be a big deciding factor.

Now, second question. What about buying one model and purchasing an additional barrel? Like buying the SPX and getting a JM Pro barrel or vice versa? Or a much longer barrel for trap? Does anybody know the extent of interchangeability of barrels mostly between the 930 models?

Thanks-

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    For your expected uses of the gun, does a pistol grip really help much?

asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    Not ideal. But ideal for slugs. But slugs and plinking are probably going to be my primary uses and occasional informal trap shooting. This is why I'm wondering if the barrels are interchangeable. I would buy the SPX and then get another longer barrel with choke tube capability for trap.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have the 930 tactical with the 18" breacher barrel and I love mine. Does fine with slugs and I haven't had one issue out of it.

asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    Yeah im kinda leaning towards the SPX model. However, only thing is it dosen't have the upgrades of the JM Pro model. How thick are Mossberg's Tactical Barrels? If theyre thick enough and have enough "meat", I guess you can have them threaded for chokes. I guess I would have to compare the cost of having that done versus buying a second barrel. I see people on Youtube shooting clays with a 930 SPX and cylinder bore, but you probably gotta get the clay right out of the gate. Ive always wanted a shotgun with ghost ring sights. I do have an 28" barreled 870 Pump-action for clays. I guess I could have a 930 more dedicated for slug and buck-shot throwing, but I got a Vepr 12 for that too. Torn between a pistol-grip and a normal stock. Mossberg puts their safeties on the tang, so not very ergonomic with a pistol-grip. But, on the other hand, I like guns with pistol grips. :cool:

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    The barrel on mine is really think. The breacher choke doesn't come off tho. Also is you threaded the barrel on an spx model it may interfere with the front sight.

jwalter

Jan 12, 2015
    Shenandoah Junction, WV
    I have the 930 SPX that I use mainly for 3gun. Mine does not have the pistol grip but does have the ghost ring sights. I called Mossberg and was able to order the JM Pro barrel for about $180 straight from them. I fit fine and runs just as reliably as it did with the stock 18" barrel.

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    I have the spx as well without the pistol grip an I have to say, I'm not missing it. I love this shotgun. Cycles buckshot,slugs,birdshot without a hiccup yet but I only have about 150 rounds down the tube

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    There's alot of hype about an extensive break in period with a lot of jams and issues with these shotguns. I haven't had any issues with mine at all and neither has anyone I know that owns one. Mossberg direct sales has pretty much every part you could want from any current gun they sell. Good luck with the wait on the phone.... But when you get through they can sell you anything they make.

asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    A break-in period just means shoot it more. Or rack the action hundreds of times while your on the couch watching TV. Or take fine sand paper or steel wool to smooth rough components.

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    There's alot of hype about an extensive break in period with a lot of jams and issues with these shotguns. I haven't had any issues with mine at all and neither has anyone I know that owns one. Mossberg direct sales has pretty much every part you could want from any current gun they sell. Good luck with the wait on the phone.... But when you get through they can sell you anything they make.
    I too have heard the stories but I figured I maybe have just gotten one from the good batch. Probably going to take it spring gobbler hunting in PA this year

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I had a friend with the JM 930 and he was very disappointed on his first outing with the gun. The gun didn't like winchester universals and turned it into a single shot affair with the cartridges getting stuck in the chamber then the extractor ripping a hole in the rim. The bolt face is not fully supported so the cartridge would also bubble out on the back. The cartridges did come out easy with a rod. When fully loading up the mag tube the follower would then get stuck in the mag tube extension and this then cause the gun not to feed from the magazine.

Other than that the gun was fantastic, don't forget the 1hr on hold for customer service and they didn't offer to send the gun back for free since it was brand new.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    I have one. 24 inch 10 shot and its great right out of the box. Put 6 boxes down range without a single problem first time out. I shoot 4 or 5 boxes a week out of it and have never had a problem. I shoot anything from 8 shot to slugs and any brand I can find. At right around $650 out the door you cant go wrong. Got mine from S&J Arms in Sykesville. Again never had an issue and I'm a happy camper with it. Shoot it, clean it and repeat as needed!

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have both a 930 Tactical for home use and a 930 JMP 24" for 3-gun, except my 3-gun shotgun has a 13 rd extended mag for shooting Open division. Both have shot right close to 100% even though I tortured the JMP by not cleaning it for a season to see if it would fail. It didn't as long as I did not use Winchester white box 12ga.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If you don't have to buy new, the FN SLP and Remington Versamax shotguns come up on the used market at pretty decent prices. One guy in Richmond is selling his FN SLP Tactical, unfired (!) for $850.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    True but you can get a Mossberg JMP 24" from places like PSA for $599. Both shotguns would still need to have the carrier welded and the mag tube opening machined for 3-gun. The FN SLP is a tactical version of the old Browning Gold Hunter which I had 2 of at the time. Big reason I did not convert one for 3-gun is barrels for the FN/Browning cost more than the entire Mossberg JMP so it was not practical. Sold both and got enough to buy 2 930s and some of the gear I needed for 3-gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom