• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vetogunban

Apr 30, 2013
    Brooklyn Park
    The Mossberg 930 SPX I have will not load the 7th round in the tube. Mossberg sent me a new extension tube and spring but that did not help. Has anyone else had this problem? Fixes?

Thanks!!

Tmiralle

Jan 29, 2010
    Welcome to the PITA that is the 930 SPX! You need to chop down the mag tube spring and make sure the follower isn't get bound/stuck in the tube.

Don't take off too much spring. Good luck.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Also remember that slugs, for instance, are longer than regular shells and you can only get 6 of those in even if they are 2-3/4". In addition to my 12+1 930 JMP I also have a tactical 930. With the 2 rd. extension it loads 7 Win PDX-12 just fine in the mag. Plus you can ghost load it to a total of 9 if you put one in the chamber and one on the carrier. I installed an aftermarket alloy follower and used the factory spring (I think).

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    My JMP runs great. I didn't even clean it the first year just to see how much it could take. Got guilty after 5 3-gun events and decided to clean it anyway. Except for trying to use Win WB shells, it has run smooth with Fed Value packs from WM.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    My JMP runs great. I didn't even clean it the first year just to see how much it could take. Got guilty after 5 3-gun events and decided to clean it anyway. Except for trying to use Win WB shells, it has run smooth with Fed Value packs from WM.

Same with mine, runs like a champ, got it a couple months ago, have run 100 shells at a time in practice and at the trap range with it, and ran it in a couple 3 gun matches without fail, last one I shared it with my dad for his first match, never skipped a beat. Run a 12rd or the factory 8rd tube depending on division, there is plenty of room in both for full capacity with slugs or slightly longer shells. I use Fed or Estate shells by the case, cheaper, and patterns better than walmart value-packs. I add a couple drops of oil to the carrier rails from time to time, and wipe carbon off the tube and piston whenever I have it apart, and keeps on going.

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    Anyone here every send a 930 to the Aimpro Tactical Performance shop? I've read good things about them tuning 590s on this forum.

vetogunban

Apr 30, 2013
    Brooklyn Park
    Welcome to the PITA that is the 930 SPX! You need to chop down the mag tube spring and make sure the follower isn't get bound/stuck in the tube.

Don't take off too much spring. Good luck.

Thanks. I will start cutting the spring. Since I can get about 3/4 of the seventh round in the tube, could that mean follower is sticking around beginning of the extension?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Thanks. I will start cutting the spring. Since I can get about 3/4 of the seventh round in the tube, could that mean follower is sticking around beginning of the extension?

Be careful, you want about 2lbs preload on the follower in an unloaded tube, usually takes 12-16" of uncompressed spring hanging out the end. Cut too much, and you will need another spring. One thing you can do is drop 8 shells into the tube with the cap off, and measure how far from the end they are, should be around 1"+1" per 4 shells, so around 3" for the spring and follower to compress in a 7rd SPX tube. Usually if something binds it will be with around 5 rounds in the tube when the follower makes the jump between the extension and coupler. I would check the spring for shiny spots indicating binding, the follower for burrs, and the inside of the tube for gouges or burrs.

Dave Greenberg

Oct 24, 2015
    Millersville
    Hasn't started jamming. Is this a problem you had with yours?

Yes. A few years ago I used to compete in 3 gun. I didn't notice anything when I first got it. I like many put like a 100 shells through it, cleaned it and deemed it dependable. It wasn't until I started practicing with it(Actually running the gun and not plinking) that I started having problems with it jamming. I remember right before I ran a stage the damn range officer told me the jm stands for jammomatic. I laughed and thought to myself thanks ******* for telling me that right before a stage. Sure enough it jammed on me twice on that stage. I sold it shortly after.

vetogunban

Apr 30, 2013
    Brooklyn Park
    Be careful, you want about 2lbs preload on the follower in an unloaded tube, usually takes 12-16" of uncompressed spring hanging out the end. Cut too much, and you will need another spring. One thing you can do is drop 8 shells into the tube with the cap off, and measure how far from the end they are, should be around 1"+1" per 4 shells, so around 3" for the spring and follower to compress in a 7rd SPX tube. Usually if something binds it will be with around 5 rounds in the tube when the follower makes the jump between the extension and coupler. I would check the spring for shiny spots indicating binding, the follower for burrs, and the inside of the tube for gouges or burrs.

Thanks for advise. I will be taking a closer look at it.

vetogunban

Apr 30, 2013
    Brooklyn Park
    Yes. A few years ago I used to compete in 3 gun. I didn't notice anything when I first got it. I like many put like a 100 shells through it, cleaned it and deemed it dependable. It wasn't until I started practicing with it(Actually running the gun and not plinking) that I started having problems with it jamming. I remember right before I ran a stage the damn range officer told me the jm stands for jammomatic. I laughed and thought to myself thanks ******* for telling me that right before a stage. Sure enough it jammed on me twice on that stage. I sold it shortly after.

Something I will definitely need to consider. So far just casual use, low round count.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

There are a few big names that run them, and plenty have good luck with them. I have heard the spacer tube can bind with a relatively small amount of fouling in the gas system, couple people make tubes that have added clearance and holes drilled to keep fouling from building up. If I have an issue with mine, I'll probably try one. If not, guess I'll start saving for a Versamax or M2 competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom