• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Billcw

Ultimate Member
    Oct 26, 2008
    Hanover,md
    yep cash an carry .. you still have to do a 4473 and have a nics check .. and you must be 21 to buy the pistol grip .. ask me how i know

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Hm this raises a curious question for me - I understand pistol grip shotguns are not considered "shotguns" because they are not shoulder mounted weapons. Thus, chopping the barrel on a PGO shotgun requires an AOW stamp, and not an SBS stamp.

So, if a chopped down PGO shotgun is an AOW and not an SBS, how is a PGO shotgun without a chopped barrel not also an AOW? It's not shoulder mounted so it's not a rifle or a shotgun, but it's also not considered an AOW because you don't need the tax stamp. Is it considered a handgun by the ATF if it's not chopped? If that's the case, then why would MD be willing to sell it cash-n-carry? Also, if MD allows it to be sold cash-n-carry, then how do they justify requiring the purchase to be 21? Unless of course it's a handgun and thus regulated - but then it wouldn't be cash-n-carry in MD!

I don't get it!!

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Maryland says it's cash and carry.
    Feds say you must be 21.
    Feds say it's not an AOW.

Have to play by both sets of rules, fed and state.

Mark

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Maryland says it's cash and carry.
    Feds say you must be 21.

Have to play by both sets of rules, fed and state.

Mark

For reals? I didn't know the Feds had any laws about age requirements other than being at least 18. And MD is actually *less* restrictive than the Federal government on this specific point? WOW.

Hm this raises a curious question for me - I understand pistol grip shotguns are not considered "shotguns" because they are not shoulder mounted weapons. Thus, chopping the barrel on a PGO shotgun requires an AOW stamp, and not an SBS stamp.

So, if a chopped down PGO shotgun is an AOW and not an SBS, how is a PGO shotgun without a chopped barrel not also an AOW? It's not shoulder mounted so it's not a rifle or a shotgun, but it's also not considered an AOW because you don't need the tax stamp. Is it considered a handgun by the ATF if it's not chopped? If that's the case, then why would MD be willing to sell it cash-n-carry? Also, if MD allows it to be sold cash-n-carry, then how do they justify requiring the purchase to be 21? Unless of course it's a handgun and thus regulated - but then it wouldn't be cash-n-carry in MD!

I don't get it!!

That IS an interesting conundrum. You're not the first person to ponder that, either. Rumor is the Mossberg Cruiser has been a source of consternation on the 5th Floor of HQ-BATFE.

It's not a shotgun, therefore it does not require a +18" barrel. The fact they have have 18" barrels from the factory is beside the point...

It's a pistol, sold as a pistol, recorded as a pistol on 4473's. Pistols have no minimum barrel length.

But it has a bore over .500", so it's clearly an AOW. But it isn't SOLD as an AOW.

It's been in production for years, so that horse is out of the barn, so to speak.

There reportedly have been NO prosecutions to date for shortening the barrels of Mossberg Cruisers without obtaining an AOW stamp. The gun is already an AOW, by ATF's own defintion.

But it's not sold as one.

Doesn't matter to me, though. I'm an 870 guy....

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    That IS an interesting conundrum. You're not the first person to ponder that, either. Rumor is the Mossberg Cruiser has been a source of consternation on the 5th Floor of HQ-BATFE.

It's not a shotgun, therefore it does not require a +18" barrel. The fact they have have 18" barrels from the factory is beside the point...

It's a pistol, sold as a pistol, recorded as a pistol on 4473's. Pistols have no minimum barrel length.

But it has a bore over .500", so it's clearly an AOW. But it isn't SOLD as an AOW.

It's been in production for years, so that horse is out of the barn, so to speak.

There reportedly have been NO prosecutions to date for shortening the barrels of Mossberg Cruisers without obtaining an AOW stamp. The gun is already an AOW, by ATF's own defintion.

Well no shit. So they basically just realized their mistake a little too late and have decided to not enforce the tax stamp requirements for this one particular AOW? I'm guessing the Fed law requires you to be 21 to buy an AOW, hence the age restriction on buying it? Is that true in all states, or just MD? Either way, I guess MD also ignores the fact that it's actually an AOW and is actually exercising some common sense for one by letting it be treated as a regular shotgun (except for the 21yo Fed purchase requirement for an AOW)? Am I getting this mostly correct?

I take it for every ballsy mf'er that's chopped their Cruiser without a tax stamp, there's 50 more that actually do the paperwork? And the ATF doesn't come back and say "It's already an AOW," but rather "$5 please"?

I remember reading something about this a little while back, it's all coming back to me. It made no sense at the time, and now I'm beginning to understand why.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Is it legal for an 18 year old to buy the Persauder then and purchase a pistol grip and install it afterwards?

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    As I understand it the atf started out requiring ALL firearm purchasers to be 21. Then they made exceptions for rifles and shotguns only that the purchaser only had to be 18 years old.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County

Actually they are listed as an "other" on the new 4473's - per the instructions.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    As I understand it the atf started out requiring ALL firearm purchasers to be 21. Then they made exceptions for rifles and shotguns only that the purchaser only had to be 18 years old.

The federal requirement to be 21 for firearms other than rifles and shotguns only applies to purchases from a dealer (FFL).

So basically I can buy a Cruiser walk out the door the same day drive home hack off the barrel and not break any laws?

I wouldn't...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom