Mossberg patriot 308 & MVP patrol 308 - any thoughts ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • josh19

Dec 12, 2013
    While in the range, a fellow shooter was singing praise of the Mossberg bolt action - good price and accurate. I never own a bolt action rifle (all are semi), it pique my curiosity and learned a lot of good thing about bolt action - simple, long lasting and a great survival gun.

I hope I did not make mistake in rushing to order this one.

https://www.mossberg.com/product/mossberg-patriot-walnut-27861/

There is another one, that I am interested in
    Mossberg MVP patrol. I like this one with open sight, in case the optics is damaged you can still have a sight.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/mvp-patrol-rifle-27738/

I appreciate if you can share with me your experiences with these 2 rifle

Lastly a question - it said it can chamber 308 Win and 7.62 (NATO). 308 Win and 7.62X51 are almost the same. I heard it is not exactly interchangeable for some rifle. Is that right ? So can I use both 308 Win and 7.62 X 51 in these two Mossberg rifles ?

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I am also looking to buy a bolt 308, and have considered one of these rifles and im interested in the opinions of people that have one. They seem to be a well made rifle with pretty good price range. Does anybody own one?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You'll be fine with .308 or 7.62x51 in either rifle.

Neither gun is a game-changer in terms of accuracy... about 1MOA. I think your best option is the MVP Scout .308, which, despite the name, has a longer rail, decent irons, and a good barrel profile. It can use SR-25 or M1A mags.

new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    Others will correct me if I'm wrong: I've heard that a rifle chambered in .308 can shoot 7.62x51 ok, but sometimes the reverse can be a problem. I think this is largely said with semi-automatics in mind, and that a bolt action is less likely to see issue either way, due to the mentioned simplicity of the mechanism.

On bolt actions: another potential pro in their favor is potentially higher accuracy. This isn't as true as it once was, but there is still a reason most long range shooters use bolt actions.

On the minus side, there is something fun about firing rapidly with a semi-auto. Working a bolt gets in the way of that.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    .308 can shoot 7.62x51. The other way around is not a good idea. .308 is a little hotter than 7.62x51. AFAIk case dimensions are identical as are loaded lengths. I think chambers are the same size as well.

Opposite of .223 and 5.56. 5.56 is a little hotter than .223 in general though 5.56 chamber IS a different size (case I think is identical). 5.56 chamber is .02" longer than .223 (or .002" can't remember which probably .002").

You can fire .223 in 5.56 and be fine. 5.56 in .223 is not advised but you probably wont break anything. Probably will incur extra wear. 7.62 can be fired in .308 all the live long day, .308 should generally not be fired in 7.62. Same as above, you can do it but are likely causing extra wear.

Me...I like my little rifles in .223 Wylde (which is between .223 Remington and 5.56mm in size and can fire either with no issues) and my medium rifles in .308.

Nottherealfranco

MD Escapee
    Sep 24, 2014
    Savage makes a decent bolt gun. I bought an Axis II XP from Hogsniper last year.. 400 bucks with a weaver 3-9 scope. Not a bad deal, considering the scope retails for $75-100 bucks.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Have to be honest. I am underwhelmed with my 5.56 Mossberg. Had to send it back because of a bad crown on the barrel. Got it back and haven't shot it a ton, but still not ac accurate as I expected. Only shot it out to about 70-100 yrds and lucky if I get 4" groups. I still have to shoot it more to see if it is me, the ammo or gun.

Doug33w

Aug 22, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    I have two Savage Model 10 FCP-Ks. One is chambered and 308 and the other in 223. I'm really happy with both, I've been able to shoot .3-.4 moa out of both with hand loads. Unfortunately Savage stopped making these specific models a couple of years ago but you can still find them used. I don't think you can really go wrong with any Savage bolt gun.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    I just purchased the patriot with the vortex scope package few weeks ago just got the bi pod shipment and a couple of ar style 20 round mags last week at the Fredericksburg show hope to get to the range this coming weekend will advise

josh19

Dec 12, 2013
    ........ I think your best option is the MVP Scout .308, which, despite the name, has a longer rail, decent irons, and a good barrel profile. It can use SR-25 or M1A mags.

I compared (just by studying the pics on Mossberg website), I saw that Scout has longer rail, a side rail. And that is about the only difference between scout and patrol. ( Well, also patrol has bigger rear open sight). The barrel looks about the same. I guess they are about the same.

I expect to get my patriot in a few weeks. So many rifles, so little time to really spend time with each one.

FYI: one sales pitch of the Mossberg MVP series is the inter-exchangeability with AR-15 and AR-10. I have an armalite AR10, I found out armalite magazine is unique, will not work on MVP. Kind of disappointing. But other AR10 mag like DPMS (or mag that mark LR/SR) works fine.

Thanks for sharing the 7.62 vs 308. Very educational. Really appreciate it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    What do you want to accomplish? Why are you getting this rifle?

There are a lot of good bolt action rifles out there. Most shoot well out of the box, some shoot amazingly out of the box.

If you are going to buy and shoot, most will be fine.

If you want to customize over time, the Remington 700 based rifles have the largest aftermarket support, followed by the Savage rifles. The Remingtons are hit and miss, some are amazingly accurate, others are simply reasonable. Savages are known for being very accurate out of the box.

The Tikas are also very nice rifles, but less supported for future customization.

Most any of them will take you out to 1000 yards with decent optics.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I have a Mossberg Patriot in 22-250 and is a tac driver. I was really happy to get really good accuracy with a relatively inexpensive gun.

rickinboots

TEAM GET' UM
    Jun 12, 2011
    Pasadena
    Mossberg MVP LC

I have a Mossberg MVP LC in 308. This is what it looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_7464.jpg
      IMG_7464.jpg
      58.2 KB · Views: 1,050

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have a Mossberg MVP LC in 308. This is what it looks like.

I guess, this feels more like a proper .308 bolt gun to me :D

Besides if that is a .308, what's that on the end of your MVP LC? Something with holes in it???

Attachments

• IMG_2187.jpg
      IMG_2187.jpg
      86.3 KB · Views: 1,051

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Lol. I know. It is pleasant to shoot though.

I'd imagine. My Sako with its slightly hardened butt pad (it is 30 years old) and barely over 8lb with scope weight isn't too much fun after 20 rounds unless you are wearing heavy clothes. After about 30 you'll have a mild bruise the next day and 40 is going to leave a real shiner. Off the bench. Off hand dunno, it would take a lot more I'd imagine. Never shot more than a handful of rounds off hand.

But it is a hunting gun, not a target gun. Something like your MVP is more what I'd look at if I were going to go take 5 boxes to the range for an afternoon of fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom