• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Houndkeeper

Gardez Bien
    So, since hanging around this place has definatley NOT been good for my wallet however, I do feel that I will now be protected from any wild/agressive/PMS'ing groundhogs or volatile squirrels in my yard. Decided that I wanted to add a .22 LR as my first non-handgun and after reading many threads and observations on many of them I went with one not much talked about.

A Savage Arms Mark II. Came with a scope (that'll be fine for me), walnut stock, thumb hole (I love how this helps my small hands grip) and blued barrel. This is a picture of a Mark II with stainless barrel and without the scope. Weird I can't find a picture of the actuall rifle on their site.
    markiibtvs.jpg

Came with a 5 round mag and I also picked up a 10 round mag.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Awesome! Never seen one before, know nothing about it, but awesome none the less.

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    welcome to the world of savage-great rifles-great prices what more do you want. I play with a 900tr for match practice

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'm also hereby starting the "How long until Houndkeeper buys an EBR poll" I call 2 weeks.

armedsks

Feb 27, 2007
    Sharpsburg, MD
    Is this the one with the heavy barrel?? I've held a few of these at gun raffles they are nice rifles. I think savage and mosssberg make great firearms for the price. Do you have a scope in mind yet?? This rifle would be great for bench shooting of from bipod. I would not want to have to carry that one around to shoot small game.. My arms would look like popeye's.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Another plus, along with all .22 rimfires, is that you can shoot that at Continental if you want.

Just don't damage the barrel trying to clean it too much.

Enjoy. Next comes a .22 handgun.

Houndkeeper

Gardez Bien
    I'm also hereby starting the "How long until Houndkeeper buys an EBR poll" I call 2 weeks.

Bite your tongue!

A pink one.

Jeeeeez, come on! Just cause I'm a girl doesn't mean I like pink.....normal colors only, thanks.;)

Is this the one with the heavy barrel?? I've held a few of these at gun raffles they are nice rifles. I think savage and mosssberg make great firearms for the price. Do you have a scope in mind yet?? This rifle would be great for bench shooting of from bipod. I would not want to have to carry that one around to shoot small game.. My arms would look like popeye's.

Yes, heavy barrel....came with a scope (package deal).

+1:thumbsup:

if she goes to the shoot this weekend, she'll have at least a downpayment on an EBR within 2 weeks.

I will be there.....and I'm not speaking to you.

My thoughts exactly.

You to.

Did you get the accutrigger also? They are suhweet!

Yes, comes with the Accutrigger. Never fired a rifle before so don't have anything to compare it too but I have heard really good things about it.

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    A good choice. I've been looking at similar models in .17 HMR, just waiting on a sale.

If they didn't mount the scope at the store, you might want to have a smith/shop do it and watch. I've yet to put glass on one of my own guns yet, but it can be tricky the first time by all accounts.

After that, you'll want to zero the scope, which can be a somewhat boring affair until the woohoo moment when it's done. A spotting scope/binoculars at an outdoor range or an indoor range with automatic target distance adjustments would be ideal for quick feedback on how close you're getting (though an indoor range might be too small for really good results. Still, it'll get you in the ballpark before spending time outdoors at longer distances). Oh, and you'll want to do this from a benchrest of some sort, whether a full on rifle rest or sandbags on top of a surface.

Houndkeeper

Gardez Bien
    A good choice. I've been looking at similar models in .17 HMR, just waiting on a sale.

If they didn't mount the scope at the store, you might want to have a smith/shop do it and watch. I've yet to put glass on one of my own guns yet, but it can be tricky the first time by all accounts.

After that, you'll want to zero the scope, which can be a somewhat boring affair until the woohoo moment when it's done. A spotting scope/binoculars at an outdoor range or an indoor range with automatic target distance adjustments would be ideal for quick feedback on how close you're getting (though an indoor range might be too small for really good results. Still, it'll get you in the ballpark before spending time outdoors at longer distances). Oh, and you'll want to do this from a benchrest of some sort, whether a full on rifle rest or sandbags on top of a surface.

I plan on bringing it to the shoot this weekend......already told Alucard I would be bugging him to help me accomplish getting it zero'd.....poor guy.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I plan on bringing it to the shoot this weekend......already told Alucard I would be bugging him to help me accomplish getting it zero'd.....poor guy.

no problem at all, I like to work on guns and tinker almost as much as I like to shoot;)
    Zeroing is kinda fun, and can help teach some of the basics of elevation and windage adjustments for shooting at longer ranges, with most scoped 22s, you can sight it in for 1" high at 25 yards, and be pretty close at 100 where the bullet is dropping back through the scope axis, giving you a + or - 4" zero from 0 to 130 yards, basically the bullet will hit within a 4" vertical area anywhere out to that distance, basically a "battle 0", and depending on the scope, you can find where to hold the recticle to hit within a couple inches out to 200 yards without moving the adjustments, anything furter than that, and the bullet is likely to just bounce off anything that you are trying to hit. You can also come up with a chart that tells you how many "clicks" up you have to go to hit dead center at various distances, and pick off a fairly small target at most any distance out to 200+ yards.

So when are you getting an AR?:D

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    You started with evil black pistols, you now have an evil semi-auto rifle. The EBR is not far behind. I'm thinking belt-feds by the time tax returns get here.

I tried luring you down the path of revolvers and lever guns. Could have had a nice Mossy 500 someday, but nope, it'll be a Benelli with a pirate motif painted on it's evil black stock. Very sad... ;)

Houndkeeper

Gardez Bien
    You started with evil black pistols, you now have an evil semi-auto rifle. The EBR is not far behind. I'm thinking belt-feds by the time tax returns get here.

I tried luring you down the path of revolvers and lever guns. Could have had a nice Mossy 500 someday, but nope, it'll be a Benelli with a pirate motif painted on it's evil black stock. Very sad... ;)

All not lost, Joppa, don't give up on me.......I have already told Dan I am getting a 686 or Ruger GP100 for Thanksgiving (we give ourselves presents at Turkey time, right?). Belt fed? Now where am I gonna hide than from hubby.......?;)

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Recently I learned two things. One is the .22 rifle I bought that came from Walmart maybe five years ago is a Savage. I knew nothing at the time about guns really and since I thought the thing was cheap ($100) and because it came from Walmart, I always thought it was probably bottom of the line and so til a month ago I never bothered looked to see who made it.
    The other thing I learned is it is made in Canada. I think all Savages are made in Canada nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom