• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • soco

May 21, 2012
    I used to shoot steel cased 308 through my AR-10 until it deformed the lip on the extractor enough it wouldn't remove any cases. I ordered a replacement, and have put probably an additional 500 rounds through the gun with no failures but I will not shoot anything other than brass cased out of any of my guns. I don't shoot often enough that 10 CPR will make a huge difference on my bottom line.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    If your criteria for trusting your life to a gun is "can never suffer mechanical or material failure", you're not trusting your life to any gun. They will all fail if you shoot them enough, and there is no manufacturing process that has zero defects.

Would you say that there are some pistols with better track records than others?

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    I used to shoot steel cased 308 through my AR-10 until it deformed the lip on the extractor enough it wouldn't remove any cases. I ordered a replacement, and have put probably an additional 500 rounds through the gun with no failures but I will not shoot anything other than brass cased out of any of my guns. I don't shoot often enough that 10 CPR will make a huge difference on my bottom line.

In this case, the OP had never run steel cased ammo through this particular gun.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Would you say that there are some pistols with better track records than others?
    Sure. I guess I'm just surprised that everyone's surprised that the Ruger is using a cast extractor in this pistol. Ruger uses castings for damn near everything they possibly can as a cost savings mechanism.

(Personally speaking, I'd never use a Ruger semi-auto pistol in any activity where I needed 100% reliability... but the cast parts thing isn't the whole reason.)

In this case, the OP had never run steel cased ammo through this particular gun.
    Steel-cased ammo causing extractor failures is about 99% Internet myth. Another thing we can thank Jeff Cooper for.

CAS_Shooter

Jan 24, 2012
    Because I have had a pretty good stockpile of Speer Lawman in 380 , that is what has been predominantly shot through this LCP. I also have some Magtech in 380 interspersed in various range trips. Both brands are brass casings. Sometimes I would shoot a few mags of Speer Gold Dot or a some version of a defensive Hornady round. Don't think 380 steel has ever been through it. Most important to me is that the responses led me to what I hope will be a resolution. I also do agree that I wish there was an aftermarket solid billet milled version, as this particular MIM job does look suspect. I know there are many MIM parts out there that have never had any issues.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    CZ75 P01.

Exceeds NATO requirements.

Must be able to complete the following without failure:

4000 dry firings
    3000 De-cockings
    Operator level disassembly 1350 times with out ware or damage to components.
    Complete disassembly 150 times, this is all the way down, pins, springs etc.
    100% interchangability, any number of pistols randomly selected, disassembled, parts mixed and reassembled with no failures of any kind including loss of accuracy.

Safety requirements:

Drop test
    1.5 meter (4.9”) drop test, this is done 54 times with the pistol loaded (blank) and the hammer cocked. Dropping the pistol on the butt, the muzzle, back of the slide, sides of the gun, top of the slide, in essence, any angle that you could drop the gun from. This is done on concrete and 0 failures are allowed! A failure is the gun firing.

3meter drop (9.8”) 5 times with the pistol loaded (blank) and the hammer cocked, This is done on concrete and 0 failures are allowed! A failure is the gun firing.

After these tests are complete the gun must fire without service.

The factory contracted an independent lab to do additional testing on guns that previously passed the drop tests. These pistol were dropped an additional 352 times without failure.

The pistol must also complete an environmental conditions test:
    This means cold, heat, dust/sand and mud.
    The pistol must fire after being frozen for 24 hours at –35C (-36F).
    The pistol must fire after being heated for 24 hours at 70C (126F)
    The pistol must fire after being submerged in mud, sand and combinations including being stripped of oil then completing the sand and mud tests again.

Service life:
    The service life requirement from the Czech police was 15,000 rounds of +P ammo!
    The pistol will exceed 30,000 rounds with ball 9mm.

Reliability:
    The reliability requirements for the P-01 pistol are 99.8%, that’s a .2% failure rate.
    This equals 20 stoppages in 10,000 rounds or 500 “Mean Rounds Between Failure” (MRBF)
    During testing, the average number of stoppages was only 7 per 15,000 rounds fired, this is a .05% failure rate, a MRBF rate of 2142 rounds! Over 4 time the minimum acceptable requirement.
    The U.S. Army MRBF requirement is 495 rounds for 9mm pistols with 115 grain Ball ammunition.

Sanderson

Dec 29, 2021
    I had a lcp2 doing the same thing. Eventually the extractor flew out and disappeared. I put a new extractor in (given to me by ruger) and shot great for 50 rounds then bam extractor is gone again. 2 trips back to ruger and a new slide, it still the same thing after 150 rounds. I told ruger I dont trust this gun anymore and they actually cut me a check for the full price of the gun and gave me a refund for a magazine I bought. I didnt buy the mag through them so I thought that was good of them. They were top notch on customer support but the products are lacking. I was about to buy a brand new sp101 shortly after that and it had so many issues as well. Damn ruger how do you mess up a revolver? Like they always say, they dont make them lime they used to.

Sloopjonb

Feb 5, 2016
    Glock

Not a full time carry for me, but I guess, up until this last outing, I could. I suppose every reliable pistol is reliable until that one time it isn't. At that point you either get to the source and resolve it or move on.

I'll have to decide, after a few hundred rounds post extractor replacement, if it appears as reliable as it was prior to the point it wasn't. As we know, all things are fallible. We just aren't provided the prewarning as to when that inevitable fallibility will show itself. Life, and gun reliability, is a risk game that we try to manage, taking in all the data points we have at our disposal.

I'll have to decide about this after extractor replacement, some time, and rounds.

My son in law worked with the law where I live for a few years used a Glock 40 cal so that's what he wanted for Christmas one year so we all chipped in an got it for him, same one he carried. We were at the range after Christmas the next year shooting our new guns myself and my daughter a Glock 42 both had issues with fail to eject, both guns. While we were reloading my son in law was shooting his when I got up to watch because he shoots pretty good his slide blows parts everywhere. The ammo manufacture had the gun fixed after he sent them all the ammo he was using. I traded my 42 and got me a 9mm EZ S&W and the 380 EZ because being 75 isn't fun on the fingers. I have a 9 Taurus slim for about 8 years never clean it and its never failed its all the luck of the draw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom