Most reliable handgun right out the box?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Les Baer 1911 with some Chip McCormick Powermag + magazines is as reliable as anything.

As I recall that gun doesn't suffer from an accuracy issue either based on the ragged holes I recall it making

Would love one of those

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    Revolvers malfunction and go out of time WAY more than people realize. Colt Revolvers are the worst, S&W Revolvers are next.

Rugers Revolvers are TANKS.

Also, if you shoot revolvers a lot, the frame of the gun will stretch and can cause light primer hits; this happened to me with a 50 year old S&W model 14 no dash on double action. I had to add shim washers to get rid of the cylinder end play before the problem went away.

Last edited:

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Very lubricant sensitive in my experiences with them. I have never been impressed with XD or the XDM platform.

Seen this first hand in a CCW class (early on in the class the gun ran fine, 200 plus rounds later failures left and right), buddy of mine ditched his XD40 right after the class was over!

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    As for reliability, ALL manufacturers CAN have/produce a 'lemon' or two.

There have been some issues with the Gen4 Glocks and the late Gen3 Glocks.

I've not had any problems with any of my Glock pistols, from my G21 Gen2, to the G19 Gen3, G23 Gen3, G30SF, to the G26 Gen4.
    All have been 100% reliable. Not one malfunction. (I'd carry any one of them into war.)

I can't/won't comment on HK. I've never held one, much less shot one.
    (Not interested it, either. They just don't 'float my boat'.)

My Colt Gold Cup National Match has been a fantastic pistol.
    Not one hiccup, and I SHOOT that pistol!!! It is no safe queen!!!

Revolvers....... Pre-lock Smith & Wesson revolvers are second-to-none.
    (I'd love to get my hands on a mdl 625JM without that _ _ _ _ 'glory hole'!)

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    As for reliability, ALL manufacturers CAN have/produce a 'lemon' or two.

There have been some issues with the Gen4 Glocks and the late Gen3 Glocks.

I've not had any problems with any of my Glock pistols, from my G21 Gen2, to the G19 Gen3, G23 Gen3, G30SF, to the G26 Gen4.
    All have been 100% reliable. Not one malfunction. (I'd carry any one of them into war.)

I can't/won't comment on HK. I've never held one, much less shot one.
    (Not interested it, either. They just don't 'float my boat'.)

My Colt Gold Cup National Match has been a fantastic pistol.
    Not one hiccup, and I SHOOT that pistol!!! It is no safe queen!!!

Revolvers....... Pre-lock Smith & Wesson revolvers are second-to-none.
    (I'd love to get my hands on a mdl 625JM without that _ _ _ _ 'glory hole'!)

I just got a 442 with no lock from Engage... should be shipping it to a VA FFL this week. I know it's an Airweight but I'm going to shoot the crap out of it. That's why they have a warranty right? :D

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    As I recall that gun doesn't suffer from an accuracy issue either based on the ragged holes I recall it making

Would love one of those

I'm glad I got mine when I did. The Baers are still nice guns and a pretty good value, but not the bargain they were a few years ago. I paid $1250 for mine brand new a little less than 10 years ago. The same gun now is about $1600.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    I'm glad I got mine when I did. The Baers are still nice guns and a pretty good value, but not the bargain they were a few years ago. I paid $1250 for mine brand new a little less than 10 years ago. The same gun now is about $1600.

Yep

I think if I had a choice I would pick an HK USP tactical in 45 if I had the cash and inclination

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Sgt Preston here...

I'll take a S&W 686 or Ruger GP 100 Revolver in 357 Mag for ultimate reliability when TSHTF...

Going with the Sargent's recommendation, specifically the Ruger GP100. I've got it with the 4" barrel and full lug. First time out, there was a couple of other folks on the range who wandered over after I fired about 30 rounds. 1 of them commented that "you seem to obviously believe in gun control" referring to the tight groups. I am by no means a good shot, but that is how good the Ruger made me look as it was just out of the box.

The sound alone of the 357 is enough to stun an intruder and if I can't dump a speed loader in fast enough, it will serve well as a bludgeoning weapon.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    I have had four handguns that I cannnot ever recall having a jam, misfeed or other failure:

S&W 686
    Ruger SP-101
    Beretta 92F
    Browning Hi Power

(your results may vary)

tvng22

May 9, 2013
    Biased towards Glocks... 15 years ,10,000 + rounds and my G26 from 1998 still performs like it did the day I picked it from Sports Authority in G'Burg. Never ever ever had one FTF/ FTE using any and all types of ammo. Glock 30 I just picked up so far has also been flawless.

Terphunter

Jul 25, 2012
    My first handgun...a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in 44...has gone through a lot of ammo over the past 19 or 20 years with not one issue of any sorts but my Glock (yes its a dreaded gen 4) has probably gone through the same amount just recently because its so darn fun to shoot! So what defines "reliable"...i have about 1200 rounds in mine...mind you I got it May...but how many more rounds with ZERO problems qualifies as reliable? I know HK makes a GREAT weapon (friend has one and its SWEET)but how many are out there compared to a Glock or M&P?? More of anything on the street you are bound have some with an issue....just a numbers game.

Just curious what most people consider the threshold amount of rounds through a weapon for it to be considered reliable?

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    I have 5 pistols that have never had any issue:
    1st gun ever purchased 32 years ago - Ruger Security Six .357 Mag 6" Stainless
    SecuritySix_zps4312fb21.jpg

The remaining 4 are all H&Ks:
    USPc .45
    USP Tactical .45
    P7 PSPs ( I own 2)
    Reliability and dependability with 4 different pistols, H&K is definitely on top.
    The Security Six has a positive review from many including S&W owners as being ultra dependable. I read many postings on the S&W forum of owners who love S&Ws that think the Security Six does not have the smoothest DA trigger(which can be improved) nor the most pleasing elegance, but are capable of shooting full house .357 loads more reliably, accurately, and consistantly better than any S&W that they own; quite a complement on the S&W forum....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom