• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ridethemessiah

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2012
    Cecil County
    I have read over article 4-203 and i understand the following to be true;

I would be legally carrying a firearm on my motorcycle if the unloaded handgun was in the underseat storage area which stays locked once latched and will only unlock once i get off the motorcycle and insert the key. I would also be legally carrying the firearm if I had a loaded magazine on my person, seperate from said firearm.

The purpose of this would be to have the handgun with me and ready to load and holster once i cross over into the the states that allow it (by virtue of my utah cfp).

If anyone see's a reason why this would not be legal, please let me know. This is something I would be doing quite often and i wanna make sure it is legal.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    I have read over article 4-203 and i understand the following to be true;

I would be legally carrying a firearm on my motorcycle if the unloaded handgun was in the underseat storage area which stays locked once latched and will only unlock once i get off the motorcycle and insert the key. I would also be legally carrying the firearm if I had a loaded magazine on my person, seperate from said firearm.

The purpose of this would be to have the handgun with me and ready to load and holster once i cross over into the the states that allow it (by virtue of my utah cfp).

If anyone see's a reason why this would not be legal, please let me know. This is something I would be doing quite often and i wanna make sure it is legal.

The Utah permit doesn't mean bupkis in MD, so toss that notion out. If you're going interstate, read up on FOPA, where (IIRC) the mag must/should also be inaccessible and separate from the firearm (but I'm willing to be corrected on that).

Now, as for the premise (within MD), you are correct, provided:

1 - you are going to/from an allowed place (range, gunsmith, etc.), or
    2 - you are a Designated Collector going to "show" all or part of your collection

ridethemessiah

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2012
    Cecil County
    The Utah permit doesn't mean bupkis in MD, so toss that notion out. If you're going interstate, read up on FOPA, where (IIRC) the mag must/should also be inaccessible and separate from the firearm (but I'm willing to be corrected on that).

Now, as for the premise (within MD), you are correct, provided:

1 - you are going to/from an allowed place (range, gunsmith, etc.), or
    2 - you are a Designated Collector going to "show" all or part of your collection

I see. So the method of carrying the firearm and magazine on my bike are legal in maryland as long as I'm taking the gun on one of MD's approved trips. I don't think "I'm going to my girlfriends house in Newark then we're off to christiana mall" is one of those approved trips. And while we're on the subject, "i'm going to drum at my brother's place in PA" prob not on the approved list either.

ridethemessiah

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2012
    Cecil County
    Aha! I have been known to pop off a few rounds at my frequent out of state destinations...
    (b) This section does not prohibit:
    (4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot,formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources–sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    You found the pertinent laws. As long as you follow the limits on destinations, you can "technically" carry it unloaded in an enclosed holster with ammo stored separately. I used to transport on my bikes with pistols in cases in my backpack and ammo in another compartment. Once you get to a free state, just carry it in a good retension holster, when riding I prefer a full size OCed in thumb break holsters with belt loops, or I CC compacts in a pocket holster in my jacket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom