• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SgtKope

Nov 7, 2009
    Crofton, MD
    I am looking to change the rubber on my Harley Night Rod. I dont want to take it to the dealer to pay more for them swapping out tires than the tires cost themselves. I used to have my own equipment but I dont have a garage anymore. Does anyone have a lift/equipment that would be willing to either change my tires (I have them)or let me use the equipment? I am willing to pay for either. I am in Anne Arundel Co but dont mind driving an hour or so to do this. Thanks in advance.

Matt

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Since I no lOnger have access to a lift I've been price shopping. There is a new place over in Odenton on the circle. I don't remember the actual price for tire changes but it was far below anywhere else I checked. Might be worth a call.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    I use spoons in my garage along with a front and rear stand. I'm guessing the harley could be lifted on jack stands if need be (how I did it before I bought proper stands).

Swapping a tire is pretty easy with three spoons. :)

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    If you have tires, my buddy in Havre de Grace can probably do it for you. He used to own his own bike shop in Aberdeen and now does it on the side. PM me and I can get you his number.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I just stopped by the place on odenton. It's not as cheap as I thought. $65 front & $65 rear but that's cheaper than a lot of dealerships. If you bring them just the wheel it's $25

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Deleted original reply.... just saw in your post above; where it's still 25.00 per wheel at MCR (MotorCycleRiders) in Odenton....

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    I just stopped by the place on odenton. It's not as cheap as I thought. $65 front & $65 rear but that's cheaper than a lot of dealerships. If you bring them just the wheel it's $25

$65 isn't great but not bad either. $25 is a good price. The extra $40 to mess with chain or belt adjustment is worth it to me. All the dealers I deal with charge more if you buy your own tires so those prices are pretty reasonable.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    $65 isn't great but not bad either. $25 is a good price. The extra $40 to mess with chain or belt adjustment is worth it to me. All the dealers I deal with charge more if you buy your own tires so those prices are pretty reasonable.

The issue with that is many dealers screw that up; it is a lot better to do it yourself and you know it's been adjusted correctly.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    The issue with that is many dealers screw that up; it is a lot better to do it yourself and you know it's been adjusted correctly.

Perhaps. But I haven't had that problem (yet). I usually go to JT Motorsports in Frederick. They have great prices on tires as well. One of their guys post here on this forum.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I have a Harbor Freight tire changer with the motorcycle attatchment. I use it on my sons dirt bike tires. I don't know if I would use it on nice aluminum rims though.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA

Agreed. The ONE time I let a dealer aligned my rear wheel, that tire wore faster than any other. Much faster.

My dealer charges me $25 if I just bring in the wheel, which when added to the free shipping cost of the tire from Motorcycle Superstore, is about the same as if I bought the tire from them.

My way, I get the tire I want, and I take care when aligning my wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom