• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • powder in the air

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
    Jun 18, 2011
    smithsburg
    Any one on here an avid mountain bike / trail rider. I'm looking to get into mountain bikeing / trail rideing could any one suggest a good entry level bike.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    what's your budget, experience level, anyone you know ride frequently? What type of riding are you interested in.

I rode for a few years, got back into it, out again with new baby. I am trying to get back in this year again. I started using elliptical to get back in shape, Just haven't pedaled yet...

powder in the air

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
    Jun 18, 2011
    smithsburg
    I use to ride bmx and trails like water shed then got hit by a car while on a tractor(I live in a one horse town) gained almost 150 lbs was over 300 needed money and sold what bike I did have plus my bmx gear now i am down to 260 and want to get to my goal weight of 200 by my wedding on 9/21/13 I do lose some during my firefighter training but I loved bikeing and thought it be a good way to drop the extra weight. I had an old trek a guy gave me but sold it for cash. Looking for around 300 - 350 if there is any thing in that range worth buying. Also do some trails in morgantown when I visit my brother at school. Sorry for the long drawn out explanation.

CPT Ethanolic

Gun Packing Liberal
    As somebody who used to race bikes and work in bike shops, I can tell you 'go used'. The average mark up in shops is 100%. For under $500 a new bike will have shiate bearings/bottom bracket/cranks/etc. Look on craigslist. For around $400 you can find some decent used.

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    that is actually good advice. In that price range your best bet is used for something thats worth while.(IMO) Find something with a decent fork and hydraulic discs. most bikes with these features have quality components to match. you do not want a low budget full suspension bike, nor do you want a low budget 29r. I really don't think a 29r would be great for out where you live anyway. Most major brands put out decent stuff, its really personal preference. (giant, specialized, trek, gt, etc...)

Eddie Van

Dude
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hollywood Star Lanes
    As an avid rider ( I commute by bike and ride trails when I can), the above advice is excellent. Go used if you are good with your hands and mechanically inclined.

If you want good service (by someone else), then find a good shop near you and buy from them. A good shop will support their products...

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    If you do buy new, make sure you test-drive a few and don't forget to look at the 29'ers (29" tire). That's sort of the craze right now, but the idea is a sound one.

I am in the process of updgrading my Trek 6700. Good bike, but I want some of the newer components since mine is +10yrs old. I'll be looking at Kona and Trek. With my trade in, I'll be looking at $500-$700.

offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    I mountain bike. The more you spend, the better. Especially if you want to do decent trails. But then thats kind of an opinionated subject. Shaeffer in Germantown is my favorite trail locally. It's 90% of what I do and anything easier I dont consider real mountain biking.

I initially bought a 300 dollar bike and the first day i took it to a trail the wheels bent. The store took it back, and I bought something better for around 500. I still have the 2nd bike but after 2 summers of riding it needs an over haul. I'm getting a new shock(fork), sprockets, chain, and buttom spline, and im looking at 400 bucks for parts. It's about how much I bought the bike for, but they are much higher end parts than what the bike came. So even if you do spend 500 bucks like me you'll end up spending more, which is kind of invevitable. Things break...

Make certain the bike comes with double wall rims. This is why that first bike I bought had the rims bent. Single wall rims are weaker, and heavier than their double wall counter part. Disc brakes are really nice as well, especially when you go through water and mud so look for something with disc brakes.

As far as 26 vs 29ers go I understand how with the larger tires obstacles will be easier to over come but honestly, I have 26 tires and Im happy with it. I've heard 29ers are starting to take over the market, I'm not sure on this since I dont keep up. But I wouldnt rule out 26" tires.

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    $350, hmmm. I'd go single-speed 29er (or 26) for that price. I franken-biked a rigid, singlespeed 29er for a little more than that. If you're going cross-country riding, a SS 29er is where it's at. If you want to hit 4-6'ers or more, you'll need a full suspension 26 or 29er. You don't need much mechanical skills to keep a single speed going - pump, lube and gear. That sounded bad....

I scoffed at the idea of both 29er and single speed. I lived in Europe, no one rides a 29er there (26 singlespeed in France is HUGE tho, but not so much in Belgium where I lived)....One bad Jamis Dakar Pro frame after I moved home and here I sit with 2 29ers now. I have the Niner Jet9 with XT/XTR/Stans I built up (collecting dust bc my rigid SS is a blast to ride). I ride Schaeffer. I also ride the Muddy Branch trail which is .5 miles from my house and offers hours of riding identical to what Schaeffer has. If you have a set of shoes and want to try out 29er before you make the jump, I'll offer you my rigid 29er which runs like a raped ape. There's lots of great riding in MD and NOVA. Depends on what you want/like/prefer. I can talk all day about what/where I've ridden.

26 v 29 is subjective. rigid vs front sus vs full sus is subjective too. I'm 40 and not in the best shape. I thought rigid 29er would wreck my shoulders and knees, but as long as I ride loose and pick the right lines, I'm okay. Kind of like being a kid on a bmx bike all over again. PM me and we can chat as I have some parts to get rid of.

Jun 30, 2010
    Churchton
    I'll be keeping my eye on this thread. I've also been eyeballing some mountain bikes myself. I used to ride BMX (not competitively) in my younger days, and I miss having a bike. I'm still recovering from a broken femur so I think it could help me get back in "fighting shape" since I'm still not able to run yet. I'm also on a budget and probably not looking to spend more than $700 for a bike that's decent on the street and light trails.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

CPT Ethanolic

Gun Packing Liberal
    WARPIG [USMC];1614619 said:
    I'll be keeping my eye on this thread. I've also been eyeballing some mountain bikes myself. I used to ride BMX (not competitively) in my younger days, and I miss having a bike. I'm still recovering from a broken femur so I think it could help me get back in "fighting shape" since I'm still not able to run yet. I'm also on a budget and probably not looking to spend more than $700 for a bike that's decent on the street and light trails.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

For around $700 you can find very nice used bikes. Even at around $500 craigslist has some nice deals.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    I've been riding for years, though not as much lately as I like. Lots of wise advice above -- If you can't go Titus, start with something used. I've had a couple of Specialized bikes and loved them. Beat the hell out of the first one (Rockies, Moab) but replaced it only after it got stolen. The technology is advancing very rapidly, so don't be intimidated if you can't get this year's brakes and shocks -- 3yo is still gonna be very decent.

Try some different bikes and see what you like. Make sure you get a good fit. My first bike had a top bar 2" shorter than it should have, and got me into a bad crash (faceplant over the top: broken nose etc). Successor bike (stock bike but custom ordered) fits like a glove and is much safer, more stable, maneuverable. Cannot overestimate the importance of proper fit.

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    If you're doing cross-country riding and aren't taking huge hits, a rigid or front suspension single speed is what you need. And that can be had for the $700 mark. I'd say pick something up, name brand frame from craigslist/ebay and build it up yourself.

Wreck

Mar 9, 2012
    Bethesda
    I've done a lot of mountain biking, I like Specialized and still ride an old Stumpjumper. The key is to know what size bike frame you should be riding, for that I'd go to your local bike shop and look at their bikes and have them fit you to ind out what size frame is best for you. Once you know that you can buy new or find used ( best bang for your buck) on Craigslist or elsewhere. After you get the bike, The most important thing is to just go out and ride it.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Any one on here an avid mountain bike / trail rider. I'm looking to get into mountain bikeing / trail rideing could any one suggest a good entry level bike.

What size? I have two Treks I may sell. One (Trek 930 single track) is in great shape the other (Trek 820 I think) needs new pedals. Both have been hung up in the garage for several years.

powder in the air

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
    Jun 18, 2011
    smithsburg
    What size? I have two Treks I may sell. One (Trek 930 single track) is in great shape the other (Trek 820 I think) needs new pedals. Both have been hung up in the garage for several years.

Not sure on size or how to size them I'm about 6' and have a 34"-35" inseam if that helps

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    $350 isn't going to get you fitted in a shop as per OP price range. $700 may get you an entry level rig which you'll taco the rims on within a month or two. I'd PM Redcobra and see what he's got. Old Treks are tanks. Great bikes to build from for sure. And if you're in MoCo and need a hand with putting it together, taking them apart; let me know. I'll help as I have all the tools to put together/strip down a bike.

50bmg

Sep 24, 2011
    Towson, MD
    Is also check out bikesdirect.com. Some may scoff because they don't carry the high dollar brands, but they sell great bikes at great prices, free shipping and best of all no tax.

I bought one one of the higher end 29er hardtails a cpl years back and love it. All the components are name brand and depending on which model and budget you get some primo gear.

Lastly, their frames are made in the same manufacturing facilities that make many of the main bike brand frames. All quality aluminum and or ti frames.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina

I was not so much anymore I had a Giant 640se and right now I have a Trek 850 its just like a gun buy the good stuff to start with and you will be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom