• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    So I recently got an AR-V lower/upper/bcg to take advantage of my many scorpion mags. The upper needs to be built out, I've never done this before.

I've got a spare 10.5" 9mm barrel. Have a torque wrench 10-100ft-lb, have a magpul wrench. Have a vise with insert for holding the upper.

With blowback and no gas system, would a handguard/barrel nut kit contain all I need for barrel and handguard attachment? Is there a particular handguard I need, or does a normal 9" AR handguard work? Are there other parts for the barrel I'm not thinking of?

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    So I recently got an AR-V lower/upper/bcg to take advantage of my many scorpion mags. The upper needs to be built out, I've never done this before.

I've got a spare 10.5" 9mm barrel. Have a torque wrench 10-100ft-lb, have a magpul wrench. Have a vise with insert for holding the upper.

With blowback and no gas system, would a handguard/barrel nut kit contain all I need for barrel and handguard attachment? Is there a particular handguard I need, or does a normal 9" AR handguard work? Are there other parts for the barrel I'm not thinking of?
    Most hand guards come with their own wrench head if it is proprietary.
    Sounds like you have everything you need there. :thumbsup:

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Most hand guards come with their own wrench head if it is proprietary.
    Sounds like you have everything you need there.
    Ok then I'm excited, just ordered a normal handguard.

I did learn that non-stanag magazine ARs are cash and carry even when buying a stripped lower, so that's pretty cool. Also halves the transfer price :)

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    No gas tube lets me go very slim on handguards. Midwest Industries and Leapers UTG make some very nice, slim, light, and well priced handgards. Barrel nuts normally go with the handguards since many of them have specific methods for mounting the handguards.

Its also nice not needing to think about clocking the nut for the gas tube.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    No gas tube lets me go very slim on handguards. Midwest Industries and Leapers UTG make some very nice, slim, light, and well priced handgards. Barrel nuts normally go with the handguards since many of them have specific methods for mounting the handguards.

Its also nice not needing to think about clocking the nut for the gas tube.
    Love both of those rails. All I use.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom