• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jun 24, 2023
    Easton, MD
    I have a vortex 1-6 and mount that I would like to place on one of my ARs. I watched some instructional videos on YouTube and such. How necessary is a gun vice and small levels to do this or if I just torque to spec will that work. Dumb question from a red dot guy trying something new. Pic for attention.

Attachments

• IMG_4695.jpeg
      IMG_4695.jpeg
      336.1 KB · Views: 93

TwinTurbskis

professional amateur
    Jun 9, 2020
    Derwood, MD
    Guess it depends on how perfectly level you want your reticle. I've mounted probably a dozen scopes at this point and I just eyeball it. They all seem pretty level to me. Just take your time and I think you can get a good result without a vise etc.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    The upper is square on the bottom, just yank it and rest it on something flat(a book perhaps), supporting the handguard up front. You can use something vertical (street pole, edge of a wall... etc) for a pretty good eyeballing of the y axis reticle.

For boresighting, yank the bolt and telescope down the bore at a small object against a contrasting background 25/50 yds away. I typically rest the upper until the bore is aligned with a road reflector down the street or a license plate. Make sure the object is centered in the opening of the bore and the bore is centered in the chamber when looking down it. Like the picture below, only your object would be visible in the center of the muzzle end of the bore.
    20230619_204107.jpg

Next, make sure the upper doesn't move and adjust the scope to the same object you're viewing down the bore.

20230619_204327.jpg

You'll probably like the strike eagle. It's just about as fast as the red dot up close, but gives you waaaaay more capability far away for target identification, ballistic adjustments, and precision. If shooting fast up close, especially in odd positions, it may take a bit more time getting a sight picture, but we're talking fractions of a second for the first shot and not much difference for the followup shots.

Jun 24, 2023
    Easton, MD
    Guess it depends on how perfectly level you want your reticle. I've mounted probably a dozen scopes at this point and I just eyeball it. They all seem pretty level to me. Just take your time and I think you can get a good result without a vise etc.
    Great, that’s what I was thinking but didn’t want to mess it up either

Jun 24, 2023
    Easton, MD
    The upper is square on the bottom, just yank it and rest it on something flat(a book perhaps), supporting the handguard up front. You can use something vertical (street pole, edge of a wall... etc) for a pretty good eyeballing of the y axis reticle.

For boresighting, yank the bolt and telescope down the bore at a small object against a contrasting background 25/50 yds away. I typically rest the upper until the bore is aligned with a road reflector down the street or a license plate. Make sure the object is centered in the opening of the bore and the bore is centered in the chamber when looking down it. Like the picture below, only your object would be visible in the center of the muzzle end of the bore. View attachment 420516

Next, make sure the upper doesn't move and adjust the scope to the same object you're viewing down the bore.

View attachment 420517

You'll probably like the strike eagle. It's just about as fast as the red dot up close, but gives you waaaaay more capability far away for target identification, ballistic adjustments, and precision. If shooting fast up close, especially in odd positions, it may take a bit more time getting a sight picture, but we're talking fractions of a second for the first shot and not much difference for the followup shots.
    Thank you for the post. Much appreciated.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You will want the ocular end of the scope to end somewhere even with the end of the receiver.

I noticed, in your picture, your Eotech looks like it is half mounted to the receiver and half mounted to the hand guard. You don't want to do that. If I were you, I'd move it back so it is only mounted to your receiver. I understand that the red dot is being replaced by the LPVO, but if you have this going on on other rifles, you might consider the placement I recommended.

300aac.jpg

Proper LPVO placement. ^^^

Last edited:

TwinTurbskis

professional amateur
    Jun 9, 2020
    Derwood, MD
    Great, that’s what I was thinking but didn’t want to mess it up either
    Sure thing, let us know how it turns out. The only way you can really mess anything up is if you way overtighten and start damaging things. But you already mentioned torqueing to spec so you'll be fine - the literature that comes with the package should have the torque specs on it. You can always backtrack and make adjustments if you get it on there and aren't happy with its positioning. I also agree with what outrider said, mine is in the same position and gives perfect eye relief.

I have the 1-8 strike eagle and its great for the price point. Enjoy!

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I tape a flashlight to the objective lens to project the image of the reticle against the wall next to a plumb line.

The surface holding the rifle doesn’t even need to be level since I can spin the rifle around 180 degrees to another plumb line to make sure the reticle is off the same amount in the opposite direction.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    You will want the ocular end of the scope to end somewhere even with the end of the receiver.

I noticed, in your picture, your Eotech looks like it is half mounted to the receiver and half mounted to the hand guard. You don't want to do that. If I were you, I'd move it back so it is only mounted to your receiver. I understand that the red dot is being replaced by the LPVO, but if you have this going on on other rifles, you might consider the placement I recommended.

View attachment 420529

Proper LPVO placement. ^^^
    Screenshot_20230701_115429_Gallery.jpg

Yup. You want to keep the base fully on the upper without bridging to the handguard. Where the rear of thr scope is depends a little on how you fit to the gun. My arms are somewhat short, and I usually have the stock out to the second click when shooting. For me, just a smidgen in front of the charging handle works.

Tighten the rings just enough to allow the scope to slide against friction. Put it where you think it needs to be and then mount the gun with your eyes closed in a natural position. Open your eyes and see if you see the whole sight picture. If you're getting any tunneling or shadow, adjust the scope forward or back until it's at the proper eye relief for you when mounted naturally to the gun.

Once you have the eye relief figured, just adjust level until the y axis is aligned with something vertical like I mentioned before and tighten everything down.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD

For boresighting, yank the bolt and telescope down the bore at a small object against a contrasting background 25/50 yds away. I typically rest the upper until the bore is aligned with a road reflector down the street or a license plate. Make sure the object is centered in the opening of the bore and the bore is centered in the chamber when looking down it. Like the picture below, only your object would be visible in the center of the muzzle end of the bore. View attachment 420516

View attachment 420517

How do you like the Strike Eagle at distance? Is the glass clear? I was considering one. Thanks

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Torqueing the mounting hardware is a requirement, most other tools and procedures just eliminate problems and ease mounting.

I do want the scope to be level relative to the receiver, and sometimes mounts aren't entirely level, a pair of bubble levels makes that really easy, especially given it can shift a little as you torque everything down.

I lap rings or bases. For rings, I align them with pointer tools, then use a lapping bar and compound to check the base/rings. If the finish gets knocked down to an even matte then perfect, it will be nice and clean, if there are high/low spots it's easy to see them and smooth them out before they apply unequal pressure when clamping an expensive scope.

I use a little loc tite on most bases, unless the hardware already has it, or the manufacturer says not to use it.

Mounting the base is relatively easy, the base should be mounted on the receiver rail only, not the handguard. Ideally you want the mount positioned so the scope has proper eye relief with the turrets in the middle of the base, leaving room for small adjustments. Problem is, AR15s have a short receiver and short stock for the proper LOP, so sometimes you have to mount the scope forward in the base, and use mounts with a long offset just to mount in the room you have. Good mounts should sit securely on the rail with lots of contact in the horizontal lugs and clamps on the side.

After mounting the base, I add the rings and lap it, clean it, then add the scope and make sure the ring gaps are equal as the scope is held loose enough to move. I'll set eye relief and level it. That is the point I start torquing the screws slowly, and criss crossing till the wrench clicks, and level/eye relief is verified. A vise block makes this a lot easier than setting it on a flat surface. From there boresight, print out a trajectory chart, and off to the range to sight in, chrono, and verify drop at a few ranges to check my chart and adjust if needed.

As far as scopes go, I do like the Vortex Strike eagle 1-6, and have a few of them. It has decent glass, useable adjustments and reticle for the cost. I don't care for the 1-8 as distortion gets bad above 6X, and for $100 more you can get the excellent PST2 1-6. I have a 1-8 strike Eagle, and can actually hit easier and faster at all ranges with the PST2's slightly less magnification because the image is so much clearer, flatter, better contrast, better field of view, and better illumination/reticle. Where the Strike Eagle 1-6 is a good scope for $400, the PST is excellent for $600, and worth the $200 in most every case. The same could be said for scopes better than that, but Over $1000 budget gets to be a big consideration.

Last edited:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    How do you like the Strike Eagle at distance? Is the glass clear? I was considering one. Thanks
    It's a good value for the money, but it is still largely an entry level optic. The illumination is not true "daylight bright", although it doesn't matter as much since the black reticle is still there when the red is overpowered. There's also some chromatic aberration when cranked fully to 6 and slight fishbowl at 1.

Here's a couple shots comparing it to my much cleaner, and waaay lighter leupold vxr 1.25-4 w/firedot. The leupold has much cleaner glass, and the firedot IS daylight bright. The big drawback there is the 1.25x magnification dicks with me for up-close targets. I find myself just rolling the rifle and point shooting along the 9 and 3 o'clock rail sections for stuff inside of 25 yards if I need to shoot quick. An offset micro red dot would alleviate that, but then price goes up and you give back the weight savings.

The strike fire is a true 1x(or as much as a lpvo becomes a 1x), so it's more natural to find and shoot targets in close once you've got a solid cheekweld to find the eyebox. While 6x has more distortion, at 4x things clean up. I probably wouldn't get the 8x, as I can imagine the distortion just getting worse.

Having looked through alucard's PSTs, I'd likely bump up to a PST if getting another LPVO. The glass is cleaner and the illumination IS daylight bright on the PST line.

Primary arms is also an option, but I have zero in-person experience with them and can't give an informed comparison.
    20210407_190604.jpg
    20210406_200421.jpg
    20210407_191145.jpg

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I have a vortex 1-6 and mount that I would like to place on one of my ARs. I watched some instructional videos on YouTube and such. How necessary is a gun vice and small levels to do this or if I just torque to spec will that work. Dumb question from a red dot guy trying something new. Pic for attention.

When you say “Level” do you mean your want the vertical axis of your reticle to align with the vertical axis of the Rifle?

I had this very same question many years ago. Probably one of my earliest posts.

A knowledgeable member suggested using a very low tech method that was actually quite effective.

Scroll to the bottom and there is a photo of my rifle just clamped into a regular bench vice and I’m using a simple plumb bob to align the projected image of the reticle.

I did use a small machinist level to make sure my actual bench and vice were level beforehand. I still use this method today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sirex