• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thanks to all who replied, MD laws are twisted though,
    MSP could't give an answer on penalties for missing 90 day
    deadline, so I will go ahead and register 2 guns, before I forgat about it again, at least I will be in compliance.
    An important thing to understand as a new resident is Maryland gun laws are very vague and confusing. Many of us agree this is by design. CA, NY, NJ, HI, et al have very strict, but clear gun laws. Maryland is the only state that has laws such as (paraphrased)- "AR15 rifles must have heavy barrels if chambered in .223 or 5.56". There is no legal definition of what a heavy barrel is, so MSP says it needs to be stamped HBAR or marketed as HBAR by the manufacturer. Also note the law doesn't apply to .300AAC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, .450 Bushmaster, etc.
    Now for the funny part... At least one manufacturer took an exact same AR15, changed the SKU and has it on their website as a heavy barrel. Viola, it is now Maryland legal.
    On a side note, MD banned Everclear 190 proof grain alcohol by name and Everclear fought back.
    17630085_1531414673560295_480231712381436566_n.jpg

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    My father is up in years and I may inherit handguns, rifles (no "assault" rifle) and shotguns from him. What, if any, must be registered should I take ownership. He is not and never has been a Maryland resident.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    My father is up in years and I may inherit handguns, rifles (no "assault" rifle) and shotguns from him. What, if any, must be registered should I take ownership. He is not and never has been a Maryland resident.
    Silly.

He gave you those decades ago.

He was only holding them for you because you had no room at your own house.

Now enough of this foolish talk.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Then to muddy the waters as my mind pores over more scenarios.

How do all the above scenarios get affected if someone gets the training, pays the tax, and gets printed, the whole 9 yards to get the W & C permit?
    With a permit, none of the restrictions apply to TRAVEL.

There's NO REASON why anyone should not apply and obtain the Handgun Permit. Everyone on MDS should have a permit by July 4- if only to PISS OFF Mr Frosh and Anthony BROWN.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

If he owned them prior to 10/1/13 and specifically leaves them to you in his will then it would be legal to have them transferred to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    I would recommend that you edit your original post. Maybe say, I moved to Maryland about six months ago. Thats enough information to put out in public.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    With a permit, none of the restrictions apply to TRAVEL.

There's NO REASON why anyone should not apply and obtain the Handgun Permit. Everyone on MDS should have a permit by July 4- if only to PISS OFF Mr Frosh and Anthony BROWN.
    Thanks Mike.

I mostly asked to have the other side of the coin answered for the OP, new residents and long time residents who need to see it in writing, the pro's and cons. The letter of the law, and how we can use what is left of our freedoms to fully exercise our rights. It may cost us time and money and really suck, but as we know with Bruen, IT IS POSSIBLE for what is RIGHT to prevail. To have Good and Substantial, HGRB, and all the other infringements we used to have to battle just to live free the way the Forefathers intended.

At least the door is now open so that we can arm and protect ourselves without begging the KING.

evicen2

MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2020
    Odenton
    Hi all,
    Been reading this forum for a while and find a great deal of information for someone like myself - gun enthusiasts.

I moved to Maryland about 6 months ago with 4 handguns, I knew that MD has 90 day for time span "voluntarily" register guns. I did register online 2 handguns with no problems, but somehow between my travels in last few months forgot to register the other 2. ( I know dumn of me) So my questions is - if I do online application to register 2 other handguns, I know I missed 90 days deadline, - from member opinions: I there penalties involved ? What worse case scenario that could happen ? Not planning to buy any new guns for a few years
    All your feedback appreciated

I registered my handgun when I moved to Maryland. Couple days later I got a confirmation email. I believe it was past 90 days when I did mine. Also if you plan on getting HQL to purchase more regulated fire arms, you can apply under training exempt as long as you have a registered regulated firearm in Maryland.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I registered my handgun when I moved to Maryland. Couple days later I got a confirmation email. I believe it was past 90 days when I did mine. Also if you plan on getting HQL to purchase more regulated fire arms, you can apply under training exempt as long as you have a registered regulated firearm in Maryland.
    There is absolutely no requirement in State Statute that the regulated firearm used for the training exemption, be previously registered.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Hide your dogs!

Now that the MSP knows you have unregistered handguns, they will be busting down your door any moment!!!

just kidding

Register your handguns on the portal

evicen2

MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2020
    Odenton
    There is absolutely no requirement in State Statute that the regulated firearm used for the training exemption, be previously registered.
    I didnt say it was a requirement. just didnt have to take the safety class to get your HQL if you have a registered regulated pistol in MD.

Last edited:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I didnt say it was a requirement. just didnt have to take the safety class to get your HQL if you have a registered regulated pistol in MD.
    You stated "you can apply under training exempt as long as you have a registered regulated firearm in Maryland."

It doesn't need to be registered. Is that simple enough for you?

evicen2

MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2020
    Odenton
    You stated "you can apply under training exempt as long as you have a registered regulated firearm in Maryland."

It doesn't need to be registered. Is that simple enough for you?

I think we have a little misunderstanding here. What I mean to say is, if you have a Maryland registered handgun, you can apply for HQL under training exempt.

***edited***
    I see what your saying now! that if you own one it doesnt need to be registered. Learn something new everyday

Last edited:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I think we have a little misunderstanding here. What I mean to say is, if you have a Maryland registered handgun, you can apply for HQL under training exempt.

***edited***
    I see what your saying now! that if you own one it doesnt need to be registered.
    The gun doesn't need to be registered to use it for a training exemption.But if you do use it you have voluntarily given the state the serial number of a previously unregisterd gun. I wouldn't do that. I'd buy an AR15 stripped lower and use that first.

evicen2

MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2020
    Odenton
    The gun doesn't need to be registered to use it for a training exemption.But if you do use it you have voluntarily given the state the serial number of a previously unregisterd gun. I wouldn't do that. I'd buy an AR15 stripped lower and use that first.

You guys are right. Lawfully owned gun would do it. I always thought it needed to be registered here since thats how I did mine. But like I said you learn something new everyday lol Thank you guys for the info!

For OP Sorry for the confusion!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There's NO REASON why anyone should not apply and obtain the Handgun Permit.

Other than $$ , and at least 2 days out of your life ( and probably part of another one ) .

Yes , it's worth it , and most people can swing it . But there are people for whom $500 ‐ ish is not insignificant, and some people have tight lifestyles with work , family, and church/ volunteer obligations .

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    This is why I try to stay away from the Maryland 2A forum:

As far as the penalty is concerned, here you go, direct from Esqappellate some 3+ years ago:

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    Thanks to all who replied, MD laws are twisted though,
    MSP could't give an answer on penalties for missing 90 day
    deadline, so I will go ahead and register 2 guns, before I forgat about it again, at least I will be in compliance.
    Just a friendly tip since you are registering them, if you move to a free state later in life and sell the guns keep all the paper work proving you sold that gun including a copy of their liscense, because the SN will come right back to you if it's used in a crime and left behind.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I will repeat what was posted above as far as the Statute. I got this first part off a Lawyer's website.

by Baltimore firearms possession defense attorney Brandon Mead.

It is hard to argue that Maryland’s jurisdiction is one with some stringent laws on transporting firearms. The need for owners to have a legitimate need when transporting them, coupled with transportation provisions, is somewhat confusing. Suffice to say; it is legal to transport firearms and to an extent illegal. Therefore, legal issues arise during the transportation process, and you might find yourself facing trial in court.

Here is what you need to know about transporting firearms in Maryland.

Section 4-203 of Maryland’s criminal law – firearms transportation laws.

Maryland Gun Laws​

Section 4-203 of Maryland’s criminal law makes it illegal to wear, carry or transport a handgun regardless of whether it is concealed or in the open. However, there are exceptions relating to transporting firearms, which, as provided in section 4-203 of the statute, allow individuals to transport them. Those exceptions among others include:

• Transporting a gun to or from a legal purchase or sale
    • Bona fide gun collectors provided it is unloaded and enclosed
    • If you are transporting a gun for organized military activities:
    • Target shooting
    • Hunting
    • Sporting events
    • Formal or informal target practice
    Otherwise, failure to meet the exceptions provided in the statute relating to firearms’ transportation is a subversion of the law, and you risk arrest.

What Amounts To Legal Transportation?​

To avoid violating the law, you need to ensure that you do the following as part of the best practice:

• If you purchase a gun, ensure you go home directly.
    • If you intend to go to a gun range, it is imperative to head home after doing so.
    • If you are going to fire a weapon, the law provides that you must not drink or do drugs while at it. Additionally, the statute prohibits driving under the influence with a firearm in the vehicle.
    An important fact to note is that the law requires that Maryland gun owners keep receipts to show where they are coming from. Also. If you intend to use public means, you need to be aware of the prohibitions regarding the transportation of firearms in public transport. It is unlawful!

How To Legally Transport Firearms​

The safety of both the gun owner and the firearm is paramount. Therefore, measures to ensure you comply with the regulations regarding transportation include:

Ensure you store the firearm in a compartment. In such a case, you should store the firearms separately from the ammunition. If you intend to put it in a trunk, ensure that the truck has a safe or locked box for storage. Essentially, you should store it away from any individual’s reach in the vehicle. This prevents intruders or anyone from accessing it while driving.

Restricted Persons​

A previously convicted felon is not qualified to transport firearms. If found to be transporting firearms unlawfully, such persons are prosecuted based on the violation of the law relating to transporting firearms and by virtue of being disqualified from doing so.

Out- of- State Residents​

The law in Maryland is not relaxed even on out-of-state residents. The majority of persons found to be transporting firearms are usually residents from other states. Often, their firearms laws in their states are reasonable; thus, they go by the assumption that they can invoke a permit in other states where necessary. However, in Maryland, conceal licensing permits are distinct from other states. Therefore, it is hard for them to evade arrests when found transporting firearms.

The Penalties​

Tough criminal sanctions back the stringent laws. Therefore, offenders might find themselves facing criminal convictions with a minimum mandatory jail sentence of thirty days and a maximum sentence of up to 3 years.

However, those persons with previous convictions under section 4-203 are subject to imprisonment for not less than one year or not exceeding ten years.
    So transporting to the range each gun has to be in a locked container now? I’ve heard this recently but Md state police website still says unloaded and in an enclosed case or holster with a flap. No mention of “locked”. Has the transportation laws changed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom