Moving (maybe) to MD - source for gun laws?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArmyDoc

May 15, 2009
    Elsewhere
    I lived in MD a lot of years ago, left, and swore I'd never come back. Well, life happens, and it's looking like I might come back after all. Career opportunities, and all. Trying to decide if it's worth it, and if it's worth it to live in MD rather than suck up a long commute from VA.

Piecing through the MD gun laws is an exercise in frustration - it seems almost like they're written to cause just enough confusion to create accidental felons. Possibly more complicated since I won't be a MD legal resident (military).

Anyone know a good resource for plain-language gun law summaries? And any advice on things to buy/stockpile before moving? Should I just store stuff out of state for the duration? I am a rule-follower in general, want to bring my guns but definitely don't want to flirt with felon status.

My current takeways (are these correct?):
    1. Anything on the handgun list is legal as a handgun, braced or otherwise, with a short barrel, long barrel, any mag capacity, any configuration. Anything not explicitly on the handgun list cannot be owned as a handgun in MD, even if it is one everywhere else.
    2. Any SBRs are ok but must be over 29" with the stock fully extended.
    3. Any non-SBR long guns are fine as long as they're not explicitly listed on the banned list.
    4. Any ARs owned pre-2013 are fine in any legal configuration.
    5. Any mags (any capacity) can be brought into MD, just not necessarily bought there.

My confusion:
    1. Is a post-2013 AR (a "copycat") OK if it is manufactured into an SBR and is over 29"? Not eager to NFA my stuff, but willing to.
    2. Does an AR SBR still need a heavy barrel (is a short HBAR barrel even a thing?) or is it exempt from that because it is an SBR?
    3. Can you still temporarily mount a 16" upper to a registered AR SBR as long as you still have the short upper?
    4. Does a collapsible stock count as "folding?" (probably doesn't matter, since I don't own any grenade launchers)
    5. Any restrictions on/issues with suppressors?
    6. If braces get banned again, are MD PCC owners just screwed since they would become SBRs <29" in length?
    7. Am I correct in thinking that no registration/fired shells/etc are needed for guns I already legally own and bring into MD? That all is just for new purchases?

Thank you, all!

shiza

Oct 16, 2020
    Carroll County
    I lived in MD a lot of years ago, left, and swore I'd never come back. Well, life happens, and it's looking like I might come back after all. Career opportunities, and all. Trying to decide if it's worth it, and if it's worth it to live in MD rather than suck up a long commute from VA.

Piecing through the MD gun laws is an exercise in frustration - it seems almost like they're written to cause just enough confusion to create accidental felons. Possibly more complicated since I won't be a MD legal resident (military).

Anyone know a good resource for plain-language gun law summaries? And any advice on things to buy/stockpile before moving? Should I just store stuff out of state for the duration? I am a rule-follower in general, want to bring my guns but definitely don't want to flirt with felon status.

My current takeways (are these correct?):
    1. Anything on the handgun list is legal as a handgun, braced or otherwise, with a short barrel, long barrel, any mag capacity, any configuration. Anything not explicitly on the handgun list cannot be owned as a handgun in MD, even if it is one everywhere else.
    2. Any SBRs are ok but must be over 29" with the stock fully extended.
    3. Any non-SBR long guns are fine as long as they're not explicitly listed on the banned list.
    4. Any ARs owned pre-2013 are fine in any legal configuration.
    5. Any mags (any capacity) can be brought into MD, just not necessarily bought there.

My confusion:
    1. Is a post-2013 AR (a "copycat") OK if it is manufactured into an SBR and is over 29"? Not eager to NFA my stuff, but willing to.
    2. Does an AR SBR still need a heavy barrel (is a short HBAR barrel even a thing?) or is it exempt from that because it is an SBR?
    3. Can you still temporarily mount a 16" upper to a registered AR SBR as long as you still have the short upper?
    4. Does a collapsible stock count as "folding?" (probably doesn't matter, since I don't own any grenade launchers)
    5. Any restrictions on/issues with suppressors?
    6. If braces get banned again, are MD PCC owners just screwed since they would become SBRs <29" in length?
    7. Am I correct in thinking that no registration/fired shells/etc are needed for guns I already legally own and bring into MD? That all is just for new purchases?

Thank you, all!
    1. Yes
    2. No, HBAR rules do not apply to SBR's
    3. Once it's an SBR it can have any length barrel attached as long as it doesn't make the OAL less than 29in
    4. No
    5. No, but suppressors do count as flash hiders. So they cannot be used in conjunction with a folding stock or grenade launcher
    6. No, during the initial amnesty period MD owners were allowed to register their rifle as an SBR under 29in as long as a brace is used and not a stock. I'm sure someone on here can pull up the MSP document. This will probably be the case again.
    7. Long guns do not need to be registered but MSP requires you register your handguns.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Mostly correct.

1. ...Anything not explicitly on the handgun list cannot be owned as a handgun in MD... False. If purchased elsewhere, no problem. Handguns must be on the Roster to be TRANSFERRED in MD.

Partially correct. If you owned them prior to 10/01/2013, they remain lawful to possess and use.

4. Any ARs owned pre-2013 are fine in any legal configuration. And AK's.

For the best resources -Join MSI.

www.marylandshallissue.org

Last edited:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Doc, if you can avoid moving to Maryland and avoid the headache of dealing with the myriad of gun laws that don't make any sense whatsoever, you should, IMO.

I guess it just depends on the situation, and how much you care about guns.

Ultimately most gun laws are never enforced unless one somehow runs afoul of law enforcement for some reason, and it's pretty easy to stay within compliance, but some of the laws are purposefully designed to make things difficult, such as the 10 round magazine BS - essentially, it's all good provided you go somewhere else to obtain them.

I plan to retire elsewhere, so I'm biding my time in this $h!th0le until it's time to leave.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You only need to register handguns if you intend to become a resident.

You said "...I won't be a MD legal resident (military)," so you shouldn't have to register anything.

ArmyDoc

May 15, 2009
    Elsewhere
    Doc, if you can avoid moving to Maryland and avoid the headache of dealing with the myriad of gun laws that don't make any sense whatsoever, you should, IMO.

I guess it just depends on the situation, and how much you care about guns.

Ultimately most gun laws are never enforced unless one somehow runs afoul of law enforcement for some reason, and it's pretty easy to stay within compliance, but some of the laws are purposefully designed to make things difficult, such as the 10 round magazine BS - essentially, it's all good provided you go somewhere else to obtain them.

I plan to retire elsewhere, so I'm biding my time in this $h!th0le until it's time to leave.
    Yeah, I swore I wouldn't move back for a number of reasons, but seems like I may need to eat my words on this one. End of the day, I don't have complete control over where I live! I see your point, though.

ArmyDoc

May 15, 2009
    Elsewhere
    You only need to register handguns if you intend to become a resident.

You said "...I won't be a MD legal resident (military)," so you shouldn't have to register anything.
    Interesting point - I hadn't realized that was a residency thing. No, I have no intention of moving my residency to MD even if I live there for a few years.

ArmyDoc

May 15, 2009
    Elsewhere
    Thanks, guys! That helps a lot. Seems like I can probably find legal ways to navigate this. Might not be able to add to the collection easily while in MD, but probably won't need to get rid of anything either.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If you're military, you should have a "state of residency" that doesn't change. If that state has decent gun laws, you can visit and buy guns in that state same as any other resident.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Thanks, guys! That helps a lot. Seems like I can probably find legal ways to navigate this. Might not be able to add to the collection easily while in MD, but probably won't need to get rid of anything either.
    Get a C&R FFL. You can have all sorts of firearms* delivered to your door, Maryland doesn't have to know, and it's perfectly legal. Just as if a piece of America slipped through the cracks into MD.

*Handguns and long guns. They have to be 50 years old, or otherwise approved to be on the BATFE Curio & Relic list. Thirty bucks for three years.
    The list:

The whole story:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In addition to Burkett clarifications , the Roster only applies to Handguns manufactured after Jan 1 , 1985 . 1984 & earlier is categorically good to go .

The thing with certain things being on the Handgun Roster while Banned as Rifles has no logic or pattern , and don't attempt to extrapolate very far beyond " If something specific is on the Handgun Roster , it's legal as a Handgun " .

The whole Maryland thing about ( most ) SBR being simultaneously a Rifle And a Pistol is also with minimal logic in interpretation.

In the absence of Case Law or direct Attorney General Letter , I will thereby call the question of HBAR or Not for Post 2013 Direct Impingement, .223/ 5.56 caliber SBR as " Ambiguous " .

Damn Auto Correct ! That was Burke M to who's post I referred, but auto correct won't let me write that without a space .

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    In addition to Burkett clarifications , the Roster only applies to Handguns manufactured after Jan 1 , 1985 . 1984 & earlier is categorically good to go .

The thing with certain things being on the Handgun Roster while Banned as Rifles has no logic or pattern , and don't attempt to extrapolate very far beyond " If something specific is on the Handgun Roster , it's legal as a Handgun " .

The whole Maryland thing about ( most ) SBR being simultaneously a Rifle And a Pistol is also with minimal logic in interpretation.

In the absence of Case Law or direct Attorney General Letter , I will thereby call the question of HBAR or Not for Post 2013 Direct Impingement, .223/ 5.56 caliber SBR as " Ambiguous " .

Damn Auto Correct ! That was Burke M to who's post I referred, but auto correct won't let me write that without a space .
    SBR's are treated as a rifle for transport and ownership.

SBR's are only treated as pistols in the event of a Form 4 transfer and require a 77r for the transfer to occur.

This next part is for those who don't know NFA stuff. A Form 4 is used to transfer ownership of an NFA item that was made on a Form 1 by an individual or licensed manufacturer (Daniel Defense, LWRCI, LMT, Silencerco, Gemtech, etc...). A Form 1 is used if you are the manufacturer of an NFA item, e.g. you take a Aero Precision AR-15 lower and want to make it into an SBR.

Tapper

MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2024
    Pasadena
    If you're military, you should have a "state of residency" that doesn't change. If that state has decent gun laws, you can visit and buy guns in that state same as any other resident.

Question about this (out of curiosity). Could he go to his “home state”, buy a handgun not on the roster, and bring it to MD while he’s here temporarily?

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    Is working in MD and paying insane taxes, housing costs, and anti-2A laws really worth it to you? Do you have kids? Want them learning DEI and possibly anti American ideologies all while you serve America in your uniform?

Lots more to think over besides what firearms you can bring here.

ArmyDoc

May 15, 2009
    Elsewhere
    Unfortunately, mine is a multi-day drive from MD and has enacted rather more restrictive gun laws than it had when I lived there. Should probably move my residency to a more sane state at some point...

ArmyDoc

May 15, 2009
    Elsewhere

Hm. Got it. Probably worth gambling on, for the moment, I guess.

ArmyDoc

May 15, 2009
    Elsewhere
    SBR's are treated as a rifle for transport and ownership.

SBR's are only treated as pistols in the event of a Form 4 transfer and require a 77r for the transfer to occur.

This next part is for those who don't know NFA stuff. A Form 4 is used to transfer ownership of an NFA item that was made on a Form 1 by an individual or licensed manufacturer (Daniel Defense, LWRCI, LMT, Silencerco, Gemtech, etc...). A Form 1 is used if you are the manufacturer of an NFA item, e.g. you take a Aero Precision AR-15 lower and want to make it into an SBR.
    That helps, thank you!

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Question about this (out of curiosity). Could he go to his “home state”, buy a handgun not on the roster, and bring it to MD while he’s here temporarily?
    Yes, as MD law ends at the state line.

Federal law requires purchase be legal in your state of residence and the state where the purchase occurs.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    He could per the letter of the law, same with long guns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom