• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clump

Sep 19, 2008
    Felton, DE
    Congrats on the new place.. Is that a natural gas line I see going into the side of your new home? If so did you read how they got natural gas to that area and the route it took? plus not to mention the time table? For a long time their was no natural gas line going to Lewis/Rehoboth Beach and down Rt 1.

We have natural gas. We're in Felton/Kent County. Our gas company is Chesapeake Utilities. I remember 1 development we looked at near Lewes had a propane distribution system for the community.

I found a couple articles about new pipelines in Sussex, but didn't see anything too interesting. Got any links?

After living 30+ years with a heat pump the gas heat is fantastic!

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    We have a place in Oceanview for past 14 years. Dramatic influx of NY and NJ people has changed the personality of the area. Going to look farther south for our retirement home.

Yes I have second beach house in Ocean view. Settled on that on about 1 1/2 years ago. The number of escapes from NY and NJ is dramatic. I settled on Bethany Area because off the layback family lifestyle. I am wondering how long that will last.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Yes propane is King or should I say was King in Sussex to use to heat your home and cook but a few years ago I read where the pipeline came down rt 113 to rt 9 then made a right at rt 1 plus crossing over rt 1 as well. I do not know how far down it has traveled yet but as more and more new homes are being built the demand for natural gas is growing to replace propane. Wife and I are looking around the Lewis and or Rehoboth Beach area to retire to when she can retire from NOAA in 9 yrs.

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    Anything we need to know?

We currently live in Frederick, MD.

My partner is being forced to retire (corporate BS) by the end of 2021. She turned 62 a couple of weeks ago.

I would like to work for 5 more years and keeping my current job would be really good. Since Covid I work 100% at home, with occasional visits to Rockville.

We're looking at the Milford area. According to Google it's about 2 hours to Rockville, which is doable. Right now it looks like once a week maximum. If we went back to the office full time I could do it for a little while, but would need to make some kind of change. The chances of that appear low. My current Rockville to Frederick record is 3 hours, 10 minutes.

We really like Lewes, but $$$$.

Delaware housing, at least in areas we're interested in seems comparable to Frederick prices, but property tax is less than half.

We have a few goals:
    1. Reduce cost of living.
    2. Keep my job for at least a few years.
    3. Friendlier retirement tax situation.
    4. Get closer to water.
    5. Escape the People's Republic of Maryland.

I don't own any class 3 items, so no worries on that front.

I've read about the transfer of vehicles into DE, inspection ,etc.

Any insights would be appreciated!

If you have to go to the office once per week, then you work from home 80% of the time, not 100%. Be honest about the drive and its costs. It will take you 3 hours each way, not 2. That means you're working 6 hours per week for free. Driving your car costs more than the gas. Use an app for an accurate picture of depreciation, wear and tear, etc. Do that trip 50 times per year, and you've effectively deprived yourself of thousands of dollars.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I agree that drive from Milford is more like 2hr 45 min to 3hrs depending on the bay bridge as well. You have to figure in the cost tolls on the BB and Rt 200 aka ICC also. True you can take Rt 198 which runs off Rt 32 and turns into Rt 28 but you have all those stoplights plus stop and go traffic also. Goggle is not taking into account i bet crossing the bay or if they are then not taking in the morning commute across the BB. Rush hour starts around 3:30am to 4am to get across the BB. I drove a commuter bus from Kent Island every morning starting at 3:30 to go into DC and by then the amount of traffic at that time of the morning is just unreal.

Clump

Sep 19, 2008
    Felton, DE
    If you have to go to the office once per week, then you work from home 80% of the time, not 100%. Be honest about the drive and its costs. It will take you 3 hours each way, not 2. That means you're working 6 hours per week for free. Driving your car costs more than the gas. Use an app for an accurate picture of depreciation, wear and tear, etc. Do that trip 50 times per year, and you've effectively deprived yourself of thousands of dollars.
    I'm fortunate that mostly I don't have to do a whole shift in Rockville and can pretty much make my own hours. I've done it a couple of times, non rush hour and been right around 2 hours, even a little less.

I understand the bridge can be a BIG problem and have had that joy a few times.

Have not done the ICC so far, but it looks like a decent alternative, but a bit out of the way for me.

We were looking in the Carolinas and I had a few job offers that all came with big pay cuts, 30%-50%+. Keeping my current job really helps.

The other aspect of this has been that damn near everything is way more expensive than planned. That would have happened anywhere. It's offset by the Frederick house selling so high.

Overall, it's been very positive so far.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I agree that drive from Milford is more like 2hr 45 min to 3hrs depending on the bay bridge as well. You have to figure in the cost tolls on the BB and Rt 200 aka ICC also. True you can take Rt 198 which runs off Rt 32 and turns into Rt 28 but you have all those stoplights plus stop and go traffic also. Goggle is not taking into account i bet crossing the bay or if they are then not taking in the morning commute across the BB. Rush hour starts around 3:30am to 4am to get across the BB. I drove a commuter bus from Kent Island every morning starting at 3:30 to go into DC and by then the amount of traffic at that time of the morning is just unreal.

Whoa, are you retired now? You are the unsung hero to many working people. I wonder how many of them saying thanks to you over the year sitting comfortable on the bus dozing off while you navigated crazy DC traffic!

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    My apologies for reviving a slightly older thread, but I'm reluctant to start a new one when there's one near my topic.

We just bought a house in Bethany. I'll be doing a lot of remote work there. I have both MD W&C and UT CFP. Any idea if that gives me reciprocity in DE? I'm guessing MD's bs does nothing for me.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    My apologies for reviving a slightly older thread, but I'm reluctant to start a new one when there's one near my topic.

We just bought a house in Bethany. I'll be doing a lot of remote work there. I have both MD W&C and UT CFP. Any idea if that gives me reciprocity in DE? I'm guessing MD's bs does nothing for me.
    Utah covers you. I have Maine to cover DE as I visit family there as well and chose over Utah due to simpler application process.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Which state will you be resident of officially? If it is DE, I'm afraid your Utah CCW will become useless in DE. Utah will only issue you a non-resident permit if you live in MD. In DE, you will need to get DE permit in order to get Utah non-resident permit.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    Which state will you be resident of officially? If it is DE, I'm afraid your Utah CCW will become useless in DE. Utah will only issue you a non-resident permit if you live in MD. In DE, you will need to get DE permit in order to get Utah non-resident permit.
    I'm remaining a MD resident for the forseeable future. Thanks
    Utah covers you. I have Maine to cover DE as I visit family there as well and chose over Utah due to simpler application process.

Thanks for the details. I appreciate fellas!

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    Best Shot. Opening this summer I hear. Their current gun shop is in Rehoboth. Staff was really friendly. Currently shoot at Range Time, but will check out Best Shot’s, when they open.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Outstanding. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom