• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    We're relocating to AZ. We already own a home there we purchased pre-Covid. We've been renting it out and now we're going to have it remodeled to suit us so it's move-in ready the way we want it. We're looking at it as the last home we'll have (pre-big dirt nap anyway)...so it's gonna be everything we want for retirement.

Our home goes on the market in about three weeks...here's hoping someone pays too much for it! ;)
    We just signed a contract for a place in Florence, SC. Moving to America. First grandchild is there and the sandwich maker says we're moving closer. Yes dear, like I needed an excuse.

I feel for all my MSI brothers and sisters I'm leaving behind enemy lines. The irony is I recently was certified to teach the wear and carry class, but now moving to a shall issue state that will require I take their one day training. At least no more good and substantial and my p80s and 80% builds can remain unmolested and unknown. F the MGA and pink pony they road in on.

To the OP on this thread: seriously consider the feedback you're getting and whether you want to make this place your long-term residence. Oh, and the property taxes will be one tenth what we're paying now.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    I made my escape out of Frederick to SW Missouri this year. 7 years in MD was enough for me. I can be in 4 different states within 30 minutes, and all 4 are Constitutional carry. Property taxes here are less per year than I paid per month in MD, and the income taxes are less. Personal property taxes on the cars is another question, but overall still less than in MD.

OH! Welcome to the People’s Republic of Maryland.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Already signed a lease in Hagerstown, but I definitely considered it.
    I've become increasingly frustrated with the politics of this state. Even my wife, who is a lifelong resident (I'm a Nebraska transplant) has issues with it now, and although we may not move out of this region, we have a plan in place to move somewhere across state lines. If we stick to this region it will probably be WVa or Southern PA.

Seriously, if you can, consider the penalty cost of breaking the lease - it the long run it may just be worth it.

Or, move to Maryland with the least, DO NOT register your guns, (the likelihood that it will ever be an issue is almost nonexistent, and no one is going to bring the hammer down on you if it ever comes to light) and move out of the state at the end of the lease.

biermkr

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2007
    Almost Heaven
    I'm bailing on MD around September for Free America. My wife put it best..."I'm so over here." Our house goes on the market early next month...looking forward to leaving MD in the rear view mirror. Days like today with snow and sleet (in mid-April!) only reinforces that.
    We are bailing too. House is going on the market in the next few weeks. This past legislative session broke the camel's back. Next stop WVA for a while then south to warmer pastures when we retire.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    We are bailing too. House is going on the market in the next few weeks. This past legislative session broke the camel's back. Next stop WVA for a while then south to warmer pastures when we retire.

The brain dead libs think they are winning, but like California, NJ and New York they're losing their more family oriented, hard working citizens. It will come back to bite them on the a$$ when they start running out of people who want to move here. May take longer than those other states, but it's coming. Every lib controlled state eventually starts sliding into the toilet and Maryland is headed the same way.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The people leaving Lib states are the ones that make things work...and are being replaced by the freeloaders and illegals the government welcomes and/or ships in with the approval of the legislatures. The very wealthy stay because they can afford to hire their own security and domestic help...until the the costs of taxation get too high even for them when they get targeted.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    MoCo residents have been moving to Frederick since at least the 1960s to escape the taxation and welfare state that Montgomery County is and has been...my parents did in 1966 doing from Gaithersburg to here. MoCo residents in general enjoy a higher income than other areas due to the medical/technology/government base there and get many services over time other areas don't generally have...at least not to the same level. They move over the county line to Frederick and commute to their high paying jobs but still want the same services and benefits they got from MoCo...and can afford it. Covid simply made it worse...people can work very effectively remotely (depending on the job) so they want to live where the costs of that living are less. Look at Urbana...it's Montgomery County North.

Frederick has long been a bedroom community for DC. This was back in the '70s so the stats have probably changes (Frederick has grown a lot!)...but at that time it was said that 70% of the working population of Frederick County was heading south on I-270 every morning for work. A significant portion probably still does but demographics have changed...the population has grown here plus transplants from MoCo and B-More have moved in as well. Along with that comes higher taxes...more crime...more development (not necessarily a bad thing)...and the county looks at everything as a fund-raiser for it.

Problem is that there are liberals that leave where they are (whether it’s Montgomery County, New York, or California) to escape the very policies they’ve helped to put into place. When they get to their new home, they do the exact same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dracolithix

Apr 17, 2022
    Hagerstown, MD
    ...To the OP on this thread: seriously consider the feedback you're getting and whether you want to make this place your long-term residence. Oh, and the property taxes will be one tenth what we're paying now.
    I see a lot of comments about living in PA or WV, within commute distance of Hagerstown. I signed for a rental for a year at a place in Hagerstown, so I'm locked in for at least a year. Luckily, no property taxes, though I'm sure that's built into the rental price to a point. After a house becomes a possibility, I will definitely consider moving past the border to a shall-issue state. Either that or find a new job!:D

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I've lived in MD my entire life...as much as the state offers...beaches...the Bay...mountains in the west...it's simply no longer viable as a good place to be unless you're wealthy or Liberal or both. Even the traditionally conservative areas have been gerrymandered into subservience to the state by the prevailing power structure.

I'm leaving the state with my eyes open and a smile on my face. When we leave (the plan is September)...I wish nothing but the best for everyone here who is staying...whether by choice or by necessity.

gm1ll

Apr 7, 2022
    Welcome!

I just did the registration thing a while back when I moved here. Wasn't too painful. If I remember correctly, fill out the info on the website and about a week later you'll get an email saying registration is complete.

Dracolithix

Apr 17, 2022
    Hagerstown, MD
    Welcome!

I just did the registration thing a while back when I moved here. Wasn't too painful. If I remember correctly, fill out the info on the website and about a week later you'll get an email saying registration is complete.
    Great, good to hear! While it is unfortunate that we have to register our firearms, I'd rather not go to prison at this time.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I'm bailing on MD around September for Free America. My wife put it best..."I'm so over here." Our house goes on the market early next month...looking forward to leaving MD in the rear view mirror. Days like today with snow and sleet (in mid-April!) only reinforces that.
    I’m very envious. What region you moving to? I keep thinking about TN. Edit; just read AZ, nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom