• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Great question, while the .22 is always cheaper to make, not 6 times cheaper. I have to believe it is because everyone wants a real MP-5 and HK knows it.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The .22 one is a molded plastic and pot metal straight blowback made by Umarex under license. Umarex makes such .22 repros and air guns.

The 9mm SP5 is a stamped steel, hardened forged steel, and CHF barrel delayed blowback made by H&K with Aubert & Duval steel on the MP5 production line.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    The .22 one is a molded plastic and pot metal straight blowback made by Umarex under license. Umarex makes such .22 repros and air guns.

The 9mm SP5 is a stamped steel, hardened forged steel, and CHF barrel delayed blowback made by H&K with Aubert & Duval steel on the MP5 production line.
    Ken would know, good points on build quality. I wonder though why the Mp5-9mm weighs almost 2 lbs less than the Mp5-22.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Ken would know, good points on build quality. I wonder though why the Mp5-9mm weighs almost 2 lbs less than the Mp5-22.
    The pistol version of the .22 is 5.9lb while the SP5 is 5.2lb, so not that far off. I wonder if they put weights in the .22 to give it the same weight as the real thing when fully loaded. The receiver is also ZAMAK, so it’s probably thicker and heavier than the stamped steel.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    The pistol version of the .22 is 5.9lb while the SP5 is 5.2lb, so not that far off. I wonder if they put weights in the .22 to give it the same weight as the real thing when fully loaded. The receiver is also ZAMAK, so it’s probably thicker and heavier than the stamped steel.
    Don't know but they should have left the .22 as light as possible. Anyway my nephews enjoy shooting the .22 version. Maybe I'll pull the trigger on the 9 one day. ;)

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Don't know but they should have left the .22 as light as possible. Anyway my nephews enjoy shooting the .22 version. Maybe I'll pull the trigger on the 9 one day. ;)
    ab28a35ba61c3310ed6341b09dbbafab.jpg

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I'll bet there is a 6x cost differnce in making the two. The hardened parts in the roller delay are MUCH more complicated to make than simple (and mostly cast) 22 blowback parts.

That said, MKE makes the Century Import MP5s which can be had for $900-1200 (roughly). The 22LR version is comparatively overpriced.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Previous posts covered it, the 22lr mp5 is a "replica", and for lack of a better term, toy of the 9mm one, weaker materials, direct blowback since it's adapted for just 22lr. The HK SP5 is the civilian version of the hk mp5, which I strayed away from due to the high price for what it is.

You can be like me, and consider the mp5 clones in the market today, i.e. the century arms MKE AP5, turkish made, but with licensed HK machinery, which is the closest you would get with a clone. Parts interchangeability with german made OEM ones, such as the ejector bar and extractor components just drop right in with little to no fitting.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

Ehh . The point of such .22lr versions is too match the centerfire original reasonably closely, not make an optimal stand alone .22lr.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    True enough for some owners . For others , they want as close as reasonably possible. As understudy for real thing , to get understanding of use , and operation of real thing without $$ or hassles of real thing , and so forth .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom