• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I'm not going to comment on the Zoom meeting part because I was in the room live but the attorney candidate also intrigued me but just the resume and no bio with a reason why he wanted a seat on the board meant that he didn't get my vote. He might have been a huge asset to Mark but.....

Assuming (I have nothing to do with this) that MSI gave him every opportunity to produce a bio and not just a lengthy resume.

There's a story, no doubt.

I'll stick with "puzzled", and leave it there.

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    I didn't do my homework that well since i couldn't vote. But if we needed an additional lawyer (and the resume was fabulous) I'm surprised the BoD and Pres didn't think to add seats on their own. Or create another officer position.

I thought of making a motion to that regard, but since I couldn't vote I kept my trap shut. That whole RRO thing.

The current bylaws are on the website

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    I'm not going to comment on the Zoom meeting part because I was in the room live but the attorney candidate also intrigued me but just the resume and no bio with a reason why he wanted a seat on the board meant that he didn't get my vote. He might have been a huge asset to Mark but.....

Assuming (I have nothing to do with this) that MSI gave him every opportunity to produce a bio and not just a lengthy resume.
    No knock intended toward anyone who made the effort, and a great gesture for those of us who couldn't attend. But the Zoom meeting was largely and sadly inaudible. I tried to piece comments together until I simply couldn't anymore.

I too was surprised with what seemed to be the lack of voting. And though I know absolutely nothing about the individual, I was also somewhat puzzled that the lawyer with the (ok perhaps too long) resume drew only 27 votes. I say that only because, given an organization so very heavily involved in the legal arena, Mark seemingly pretty well stands alone. His unique background and skillset no doubt accounts for much of that. Those attributes notwithstanding, and not to diminish the contributions of others, such a reality could seemingly prove to be unsustainable.
    I have to agree with the inauble part. I really wanted to just about everything Mark was saying, but I couldn't understand any of it.. so I turned onclsed captioning to see if I could read the comments... It was so bad as to be laughable. Almost as is if random words were being throw out. I was really disappointed.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have to agree with the inauble part. I really wanted to just about everything Mark was saying, but I couldn't understand any of it.. so I turned onclsed captioning to see if I could read the comments... It was so bad as to be laughable. Almost as is if random words were being throw out. I was really disappointed.
    And that's why these types of threads are valuable. I'm sure the people who are responsible for the technical portion will see this and make adjustments going forward. At least I hope so.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    If someone wasn't able to make the meeting, how would they learn the results? I haven't gotten an email (I did check!) and can't find anything on the website.

ETA: catching up on the OC at Mission BBQ thread let me infer what I needed to know... :(

KN won her positions. You better be nice to her!

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    DoD and multibillion dollar corporations struggle with the same thing. Unless the building is wired with a great mic system (not an Elks Lodge) a "runner" takes the one and only mic to each speaker. And still sounds like Charlie Browns teacher

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    No knock intended toward anyone who made the effort, and a great gesture for those of us who couldn't attend. But the Zoom meeting was largely and sadly inaudible. I tried to piece comments together until I simply couldn't anymore.

I too was surprised with what seemed to be the lack of voting. And though I know absolutely nothing about the individual, I was also somewhat puzzled that the lawyer with the (ok perhaps too long) resume drew only 27 votes. I say that only because, given an organization so very heavily involved in the legal arena, Mark seemingly pretty well stands alone. His unique background and skillset no doubt accounts for much of that. Those attributes notwithstanding, and not to diminish the contributions of others, such a reality could seemingly prove to be unsustainable.

It was a nice resume for a lawyer. But NO information on what he's done for the Maryland gun community.. No information that he's walked the bricks, been in the committee hearings, or participated in lawsuits.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Burke is an expert in Maryland and Federal firearms laws. Then read this thread attacking him, so it seems. I searched his posts to investigate and see in the very recent thread about Maryland and Federal gun laws and he is called out. At first he seems to stand firm. Then he kinda melts away. What do MSI members really know about him or any other board member? A padded resume?

Sent from an undisclosed location.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    DoD and multibillion dollar corporations struggle with the same thing. Unless the building is wired with a great mic system (not an Elks Lodge) a "runner" takes the one and only mic to each speaker. And still sounds like Charlie Browns teacher
    Very True.

Lest I inadvertantly communicate a message that I didn't and don't intend, past MSI Zoom meetings that I have attended were much better. No doubt, today's larger hall played a major role with today's issues.

Last edited:

sd40ve

Oct 31, 2017
    wherever i'm sent
    been MSI member for a little over 3yrs...

got the email August 10th about upcoming election stating that ballots would be sent to eligible members... i never got one.

i was unable to attend the zoom session, but sounds like i didnt miss much.

my arms-length feeling is that if Mark ever discontinues his service to the group, its a wrap. my entire opinion of (and confidence in) the organization rests on his dedication and outstanding efforts, and to a lesser degree the efforts of the website maintenance admin(s).

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    The biggest problem seemed to be the microphone. Whether it was a lack of sensitivity, or needing a puff shield (don't know what those things are really called), the amplified audio in the back of the room was unfortunate. I had a friend watching on zoom bail out because it was difficult to make out the audio. Perhaps MSI can invest in some better equipment. Kudos to Danny and the team for working with what they have.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    We had microphone issue students from the get go

Danny is all too keenly aware

What sruck me about the other attorney was his seeming lack of interest in posting his resume and bio on the MSI page. but sent a link to another site. Too lazy to put it on our web page?

Padding your resume seems plausible

No thanks no effort no vote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The other issue is now more in front of us.

The answer is blowing in the wind

H/T P,P.& M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    been MSI member for a little over 3yrs...

got the email August 10th about upcoming election stating that ballots would be sent to eligible members... i never got one.

i was unable to attend the zoom session, but sounds like i didnt miss much.

my arms-length feeling is that if Mark ever discontinues his service to the group, its a wrap. my entire opinion of (and confidence in) the organization rests on his dedication and outstanding efforts, and to a lesser degree the efforts of the website maintenance admin(s).

Respectfully, MSI has been larger than one man for some time, even though that was not always the case.

Once upon a time, I was an officer of MSI. I worked directly with two past presidents who put in time, effort and energy that were far, far above the call. They did truly outstanding work given the constraints that existed during the time of their service. They were most certainly the driving force behind the continued success of the organization, but they did in fact have help behind the scenes, even if that help was less than it should have been. MSI might have folded some 10ish years ago if not for the efforts of less than a dozen people at the right time. Most of them are still around today, though most of them are loathe to take any credit for it.

Mark is unquestionably MSI's largest single asset. The membership owes him a debt that cannot be repaid, to say nothing of those that are exercising newly found rights without even a clue as to what January will bring. He, and the rest of the officers and the board need members to step up and do more. Time and/or money is the name of the game.

If you (or anyone else) is not happy with something MSI is or isn't doing, take direct action to change it. MSI has been grassroots for 20 years. Hopefully that will never change.

The organization is only as strong as its membership.

Last edited:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    And that's why these types of threads are valuable. I'm sure the people who are responsible for the technical portion will see this and make adjustments going forward. At least I hope so.
    They no doubt will. To reiterate, past ZOOM meetings were much better. The difference today...I think...was the setting.

Looking only to make aware by my mention, not to criticize. And before I forget again, thanks for the effort with the ZOOM option being made available!

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Burke is an expert in Maryland and Federal firearms laws. Then read this thread attacking him, so it seems. I searched his posts to investigate and see in the very recent thread about Maryland and Federal gun laws and he is called out. At first he seems to stand firm. Then he kinda melts away. What do MSI members really know about him or any other board member? A padded resume?

Sent from an undisclosed location.
    Funniest thing I’ve read all week

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I've been an MSI member, or not, for years. Even simple things, like is membership based on the calendar year or an out-of-synch fiscal year of which I am no aware, vex me, I don't know if my membership is current or not. My goal is to help!

Membership is rolling 12 months from join/ renew date

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom