• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Now that NYSRPA v. Bruen has been decided, the US Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit is no longer holding MSI v. Hogan in abeyance (on pause). Yesterday, plaintiffs filed a 28(j) letter to the Court informing them of the NYSRPA opinion, and today, the 4th Circuit issued a scheduling order on briefing. You can find these filings and everything else at the link here: https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/counselor-s-corner/hqlsuit

You might recall, but the 4th Circuit ordered the case to be held in abeyance over objections from the State. The Court granted plaintiffs' motion to hit the brakes anyways.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It would be great if the HQL could die the death it deserves.

Question - how would Bruen affect the overly-restrictive laws MD has on the books regarding the additional MSP investigation and prohibitions in place for non-violent misdemeanor crimes with potential sentences 2 years or greater?

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    It would be great if the HQL could die the death it deserves.

Question - how would Bruen affect the overly-restrictive laws MD has on the books regarding the additional MSP investigation and prohibitions in place for non-violent misdemeanor crimes with potential sentences 2 years or greater?
    The problem with the 2 year things is thats actually in our favor at least when it comes to common law crimes. Annapolis tomorrow could change all common law crimes to a 2 year max sentence and it would make a whole lot more people prohibited. Other wise the 2 year for non common law crimes is federal and its one year not two, as again its a little bit of a gift to us for the common law crimes to be like they are.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have a personal stake in this - I currently own and keep a pistol that is supposed to go to my adult son, but he hasn't made a point to get his HQL, so I can't transfer it to him until he does that. I'm somewhat frustrated by that - he keeps saying he's going to get it done, but then never actually manages to get it done.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I have a personal stake in this - I currently own and keep a pistol that is supposed to go to my adult son, but he hasn't made a point to get his HQL, so I can't transfer it to him until he does that. I'm somewhat frustrated by that - he keeps saying he's going to get it done, but then never actually manages to get it done.
    Not that we want you to go anywhere, but he can inherit it without an HQL, and I believe that you can still loan it to a family member in the meantime.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Not that we want you to go anywhere, but he can inherit it without an HQL, and I believe that you can still loan it to a family member in the meantime.
    True, but it would be nice if he'd get on board and get it done, or it would be even better if in light of Bruen, the HQL requirement goes buh-bye. He enjoys shooting, and he wanted to get a pistol when he moved into the city (about a year ago at this point) as a means of home protection - he lives in a house he and his GF rent in Fells. (completely HER idea - he wanted to rent a place in the burbs)

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    True, but it would be nice if he'd get on board and get it done, or it would be even better if in light of Bruen, the HQL requirement goes buh-bye. He enjoys shooting, and he wanted to get a pistol when he moved into the city (about a year ago at this point) as a means of home protection - he lives in a house he and his GF rent in Fells. (completely HER idea - he wanted to rent a place in the burbs)
    So there is many thing he can do to get the hgl and barely leave the house. He can take the texas hunter safety on line, do everything online but the finger prints.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    HQL aside, are we going to see good and substantial turn into SHALL issue?
    if it hasn’t happened already, they are taking too long.

There is no choice in the matter. They either go shall issue, or we are Constitutional Carry.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I guess those folks that need/want renew the HQL next year should wait.
    For the moment, I'm telling my son to hold off - there's no sense spending money and jumping through hoops if he doesn't have to. As for mine, when I re-joined the National Guard after a 10-year break, my Military ID card superseded the need to have an HQL. Soon that ID card will turn into a retiree ID card, and that will also supersede it - there's no reason for me to ever renew it. (which is beside the point that in 5 years I sincerely hope to no longer be residing in this state.)

Last edited:

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    And here I've been going hiking and camping for decades thinking marlandistan was constitutional carry........oops! Oh well, head up and carry on.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Muskets held one round.

“Motherfvcka, imma say it. Puckle gun”.
    cant have more than one round for self defense. Unless you live in Ukraine then you get 60 billion of military grade arms.

on a historical note.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom