• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    Friendly reminder to renew/join MSI. Until I checked, I didn't realize mine expired last year. I'm not sure if MSI sends out reminders, but regardless renewing is on me.

marylandshallissue.org

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Friendly reminder to renew/join MSI. Until I checked, I didn't realize mine expired last year. I'm not sure if MSI sends out reminders, but regardless renewing is on me.

marylandshallissue.org
    No, I have never received any notice. They don't do a good job on membership renewal in my experience. OTOH, I just got a notice reminding me to renew my fishing license. WTF?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie

marylandshallissue.org
    I'm good with my MSI Membership until August.

Question - is there any meaning to the various levels of membership? What is an executive membership, or a Corporate membership? Are there any perqs to the upgrade, or is it mostly just a bigger monetary donation?

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I'm good with my MSI Membership until August.

Question - is there any meaning to the various levels of membership? What is an executive membership, or a Corporate membership? Are there any perqs to the upgrade, or is it mostly just a bigger monetary donation?
    I asked last June. No difference other than how generous you're feeling

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Now that the case is in the hands of the judges, what's the timeline we're looking at? Does anyone think that the case will get remanded back down to the next lower court?

King of COD

Jul 24, 2022
    Baltimore
    I been pending forever it’s bout to be a year

Attachments

• 5F3333A5-9482-4547-9926-571245F5A418.png
      5F3333A5-9482-4547-9926-571245F5A418.png
      31.9 KB · Views: 96

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Months at least

No one asked for remand so unlikely
    Judge Barbara Milano Keenan was the female judge on the panel today - she seemed to think that the case should be remanded back down.

Based on what I heard today, I think it will be 2/1 in our favor - she seemed to be working to try to help counsel for Maryland make his argument.

If the HQL is overturned, that's an awesome step forward, but sad that it took a full decade and precedent of a major SCOTUS decision to undo it.

When it gets overturned, I'm going to ceremoniously burn my HQL card.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Judge Barbara Milano Keenan was the female judge on the panel today - she seemed to think that the case should be remanded back down.

Based on what I heard today, I think it will be 2/1 in our favor - she seemed to be working to try to help counsel for Maryland make his argument.

If the HQL is overturned, that's an awesome step forward, but sad that it took a full decade and precedent of a major SCOTUS decision to undo it.

Well yes she kept bringing it up. But the state and MSI counsel did not

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo

Was thinking the same thing, but then I realized I have some youngsters in the family who are currently too young to understand, so I'll be hanging on to my card to show them tyranny can be beaten back.

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    Excellent hearing. Clearly Justice Keenan was guiding the State's attorney Dietrich. (sp?) It looks like those that oppose the 2nd Amendment protected civil right to self-defense in and outside the home are going to try to hitch their wagon to the fictional star called the "Footnote 9 Exception" or "Footnote 9 Test". I'm glad justices Agee and Richardson pointed out the other 50 pages of Bruen decision, and the very clear prescriptions contained therein.

I'm also glad that the MSI attorney pointed out that the concurring opinion input from Kavanaugh and Roberts does not control. Those two justices signed onto the majority opinion; and the majority opinion is what controls Bruen, not the concurrences. Waldstreicher and the Bloomberg funded and mal-practicing "expert" from Everytown tried the same argumentation while testifying during the SB-1 public hearing.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    I'm also glad that the MSI attorney pointed out that the concurring opinion input from Kavanaugh and Roberts does not control. Those two justices signed onto the majority opinion; and the majority opinion is what controls Bruen, not the concurrences. Waldstreicher and the Bloomberg funded and mal-practicing "expert" from Everytown tried the same argumentation while testifying during the SB-1 public hearing.
    So I was not imagining things. TY.

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    Excellent hearing. Clearly Justice Keenan was guiding the State's attorney Dietrich. (sp?) It looks like those that oppose the 2nd Amendment protected civil right to self-defense in and outside the home are going to try to hitch their wagon to the fictional star called the "Footnote 9 Exception" or "Footnote 9 Test". I'm glad justices Agee and Richardson pointed out the other 50 pages of Bruen decision, and the very clear prescriptions contained therein.

Excellent observations and comment.

You had the AAG’s name right in today’s argument.

My bad, I was expecting AAG Scott to argue for MD this morning, and phonetically misspelled Dietrich’s name In my post.

Instead it was:
    RYAN R. DIETRICH
    Assistant Attorney General

789C0D2B-B936-4118-A630-1BBAF83CFAC0.jpeg

I wonder if AAG Scott got benched after his disrespectful argument to the 4th Circuit panel in “Bianchi.”

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

My bad, I was expecting AAG Scott to argue for MD this morning, and phonetically misspelled Dietrich’s name In my post.

Instead it was:
    RYAN R. DIETRICH

View attachment 405334

I wonder if AAG Scott got benched after his disrespectful argument to the 4th Circuit panel in “Bianchi.”
    Where'd you gather his argument in Bianchi was disrespectful? Curious

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    So I was not imagining things. TY.
    No indeed, you were not imagining anything. I think when listening to Everytown funded testimony, both in court and in the legislature, we must all be prepared to hear about Bloomberg's bizarro universe where "comparative time-space burdens" bend reality to conform to the fiction of his and his underlings' warped interpretation of reality.

This is me listening to the State's attorney today, and to Waldstreicher during the past week:

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    Where'd you gather his argument in Bianchi was disrespectful? Curious

I criticized AAG Scott in a post in the “Bianchi” thread here:

In addition to the irritated discovery schooling Scott gave the appellate panel (time stamped) I noted his disingenuous and sophomoric argument that purchasing and keeping a Modern Sporting Rifle did not constitute using it for self-defense if you hadn’t displayed it or discharged it in self-defense.

The “Four Boxes Diner” interview here (next post) explains the Scott/Frosh tactics:

And yes, I am biased.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I really wish when asked about just filling out a finger print card and handing it over when you buy a handgun, would it be accepted if when you showed up to vote you had to hand over a fingerprint card.

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017

Instead it was:
    RYAN R. DIETRICH

View attachment 405334

Thanks.

Irony: Dietrich is an anagram for "Tried Chi". I think this poor fellow Dietrich went to court today hoping that the state's argumentation could stand by using positive, vital energy and force (Chi / 氣) to defend the regulation's legitimacy, and then carry the day. I believe he was attempting a rhetorical and legal version of this:

Yang-single_%28restoration%29.jpg

Unfortunately, the law and it's defender attorney was ill-equipped for the response, which from all appearances included a deft "monkey steals the peach" maneuver from MSI's attorney, as well as more than a few peach steals from the bench. Ouch.

shelford3.png

I don't think these Maryland laws are as robust as one Buck Shelford. I believe today we all learned that if one wishes to avoid the courtroom Monkey Paw, Tiger Claw Fist and Iron Hand and subsequent theft of the regulatory peach, it might just be a lot easier to defer to the clear text meaning of the 2nd Amendment when crafting and defending laws. Only create laws that can withstand Monkey Steals the Peach. When in legislative chambers and in the courts, don't wade into history and tradition. Keep it simple to the plain text meaning; and keep the peach.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Thanks.

Irony: Dietrich is an anagram for "Tried Chi". I think this poor fellow Dietrich went to court today hoping that the state's argumentation could stand by using positive, vital energy and force (Chi / 氣) to defend the regulation's legitimacy, and then carry the day. I believe he was attempting a rhetorical and legal version of this:

Yang-single_%28restoration%29.jpg

Unfortunately, the law and it's defender attorney was ill-equipped for the response, which from all appearances included a deft "monkey steals the peach" maneuver from MSI's attorney, as well as more than a few peach steals from the bench. Ouch.

shelford3.png

I don't think these Maryland laws are as robust as one Buck Shelford. I believe today we all learned that if one wishes to avoid the courtroom Monkey Paw, Tiger Claw Fist and Iron Hand and subsequent theft of the regulatory peach, it might just be a lot easier to defer to the clear text meaning of the 2nd Amendment when crafting and defending laws. Only create laws that can withstand Monkey Steals the Peach. When in legislative chambers and in the courts, don't wade into history and tradition. Keep it simple to the plain text meaning; and keep the peach.

That was a peach of a post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom