• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    If you're OAL is above 29" and you otherwise comply with the copycat rule's feature test, you're fine to put an actual stock on it once you get the stamp. If it's under 29" or you have too many evil features you'll need to keep it braced while in MD since those rules don't apply to handguns.
    If you’re over 29” and have submitted your form 1 you can put a stock on it. The ATF sees the brace as a stock so there is no difference. The only reason to use a brace would be to comply with the MD braced pistol being less than 29”.

Staccato2011

Jan 18, 2023
    Dunkirk
    Just submitted my first <29 inch pistol via SilencerShop after reading this thread. I also attached the MSP letter. I've gotten a previous >29 inch submission approved, so let's see how this goes.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I'm nervous for one of mine too. First was a 10.5 AR in 5.56. No big deal, easily makes the 29" rule. Second was a HK 22 mp5 pistol. Yeah, I know rimfire doesn't count in MD for the 29", but the dealership with the SilencerShop kiosk told me it doesn't matter, anything under 29" WILL be disapproved. We'll see.

Anyone know where I can find an actual stock (a2 or A3 style that fits the HK .22 mp5?

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    I just submitted my Bren 2Ms 11 Inch 7.62 it is 30 inches long at the end of the barrel with the dead air micro break removed, also have more than the 5 requisite US Made parts on it so it is 922r compliant as well. My B&T and PTR are in pistol form Since they will not make 29 inches. Need to look a at submitting them with the letter if I ever want to put pistol braces on them.

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    If you’re over 29” and have submitted your form 1 you can put a stock on it. The ATF sees the brace as a stock so there is no difference. The only reason to use a brace would be to comply with the MD braced pistol being less than 29”.
    Since mine is 30” I will put a real stock on it after the form one comes back

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    Just submitted my first <29 inch pistol via SilencerShop after reading this thread. I also attached the MSP letter. I've gotten a previous >29 inch submission approved, so let's see how this goes.
    Let us know what the silencer shop says on that <29 inch pistol. I have 2 I would like to submit if Silencer Shop will submit it.

gunsnswords

Feb 15, 2023
    Rockville
    I have another question about this b******* law, I called MSP today to get some clarification and the representative was as clueless as you can be. I wanted to know that since I registered my firearm with ATF as a SBR can I put the four grip on it or not?

Also what happens that the registered firearm as SBR with ATF be changed from 26 in overall to 29 in overall by changing the upper barrel, now would it be considered as svr in state of Maryland as well and if yes do I need to go and get the stamp again or since my lower receiver is registered as we are I can replace the upper part to comply with the Maryland law?

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    Anyone know where I can find an actual stock (a2 or A3 style that fits the HK .22 mp5?

HKPARTS. They sell the correct stocks for the MP5-22. An A2 stock can be fitted but the receiver dimensions of an MP5 vs. MP5-22 are different so you'll need to modify the stock to fit and add material to it for a solid connection. Tried it. Works ok but buying a stock designed for the .22 is a better investment of time.

Matt

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    I have another question about this b******* law, I called MSP today to get some clarification and the representative was as clueless as you can be. I wanted to know that since I registered my firearm with ATF as a SBR can I put the four grip on it or not?

Also what happens that the registered firearm as SBR with ATF be changed from 26 in overall to 29 in overall by changing the upper barrel, now would it be considered as svr in state of Maryland as well and if yes do I need to go and get the stamp again or since my lower receiver is registered as we are I can replace the upper part to comply with the Maryland law?
    You can absolutely put a vfg on your SBR.
    If you lengthen your SBR's oal to 29", dump that pos brace.

I am not a lawyer.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    How did you submit your application? Was if fairly straightforward?
    I just did 3 last night, first one took me 20 mins, the next 2, maybe 5 mins each. But I have done other form1s so I know how it works.

if you would like a hand message me

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I used silncershop for the application It was kinda easy, but the main reason I did it was to use the kiosk for fingerprints. They charge $50 for the process.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    HKPARTS. They sell the correct stocks for the MP5-22. An A2 stock can be fitted but the receiver dimensions of an MP5 vs. MP5-22 are different so you'll need to modify the stock to fit and add material to it for a solid connection. Tried it. Works ok but buying a stock designed for the .22 is a better investment of time.

Matt
    Thanks. I was hoping to find an A3 or A2 stock. Hkparts has some B&T sticks and a new proprietary telescoping stock. Red army airsoft used to make a decent a2 stock that fits the hk 22, but it’s out of stock everywhere.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    What do you use for your photo ID and fingerprints?
    I took my pic with my cell phone, and I have the etf file. But the finger prints are easy, for my older stamps I did my own. The atf will send you as many cards as you want for free.

Two sets of paper prints in an envelope with as many cover letters as you want is fine as well.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Ok in the last 20 mins, I filed another form 1 for a braced ar15. I smoked a cig, and screen shotted and saved every step. So real time was probably 7-8 mins.

Now I am going to edit out any personal info and make another thread with the pics.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I used silncershop for the application It was kinda easy, but the main reason I did it was to use the kiosk for fingerprints. They charge $50 for the process.
    so, there is a cost for their rule change..... shocked, I tellya

gunsnswords

Feb 15, 2023
    Rockville
    You can absolutely put a vfg on your SBR.
    If you lengthen your SBR's oal to 29", dump that pos brace.

I am not a lawyer.
    Thanks.

When I applied for SBR , on the form , oal is 26.5. if I need to change the upper for a different length, according to ATF I have to contact them. So that means I have to pay tax stamp to change the oal from 26.5 to 29 inch ?

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Ok in the last 20 mins, I filed another form 1 for a braced ar15. I smoked a cig, and screen shotted and saved every step. So real time was probably 7-8 mins.

Now I am going to edit out any personal info and make another thread with the pics.
    Link the thread please.
    Thanks.

When I applied for SBR , on the form , oal is 26.5. if I need to change the upper for a different length, according to ATF I have to contact them. So that means I have to pay tax stamp to change the oal from 26.5 to 29 inch ?
    star-wars-admiral-ackbar.gif

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks.

Only if you change the length permanently do they ask you to notify. I have different uppers for my SBRs. I always keep the original length upper just because.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom