Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Link the thread please.

star-wars-admiral-ackbar.gif
    Just finished it.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I have another question about this b******* law, I called MSP today to get some clarification and the representative was as clueless as you can be. I wanted to know that since I registered my firearm with ATF as a SBR can I put the four grip on it or not?

Also what happens that the registered firearm as SBR with ATF be changed from 26 in overall to 29 in overall by changing the upper barrel, now would it be considered as svr in state of Maryland as well and if yes do I need to go and get the stamp again or since my lower receiver is registered as we are I can replace the upper part to comply with the Maryland law?
    First never call or write a letter to the MSP or the atf unless you have no choice. For several reasons, one you probably wont get an answer, two if you do it may be wrong. It also brings things to their attention they dont know about, example all the idiots who wrote asking the atf about braces.

Next, once it has the stamp you do not need to re do it. And yes once it has the stamp put a vert grip on it if you want. If you do a permanent change to caliber, barrel length or oal length your supposed to notify the atf of the change. But you can temporarily change uppers or calibers all you want.

gunsnswords

Feb 15, 2023
    Rockville
    First never call or write a letter to the MSP or the atf unless you have no choice. For several reasons, one you probably wont get an answer, two if you do it may be wrong. It also brings things to their attention they dont know about, example all the idiots who wrote asking the atf about braces.

Next, once it has the stamp you do not need to re do it. And yes once it has the stamp put a vert grip on it if you want. If you do a permanent change to caliber, barrel length or oal length your supposed to notify the atf of the change. But you can temporarily change uppers or calibers all you want.
    Thanks. It's kind of sad and embarrassing that we answer each other better on this forms compared to elected officials who their job is to create the law and enforce them. I really don't understand how some of these people in the state and federal level is still have a job.

s58

May 3, 2023
    Maryland
    I am a lawyer and I'm confused. Have an APC9 Pro. Technically a pistol that has a Form 1 as it has a stock. On the form one, I put OAL of 29". I use an extra long buffer tube and collapsible stock to get to 29."

Currently, I have no freaking clue. Have not yet looked at all the various titles or COMAR or case law so any pointers would be appreciated. The answer to that question, however, will say whether I can put a law folder and flash suppressor or suppressor on my APC9 (still OAL >29) or go with the B&T collapsible stock (OAL < 29) and not have a copycat weapon. In my professional opinion nothing in the MSP advisory addresses the copycat issue that I can see.
    Hi. I am in a similar position with my hk sp5k-pdw. I'm slowly getting my way to 29" OAL for the form 1 submission. I ended up purchasing the B&T telescoping stock for my gun to get form 1 OAL measurements and am 3d printing an adapter that replaces the end to have a vertical pic rail. I plan to attached a small fixed stock to that pic rail (NOT folding because that would potentially be considered a copy cat with my suppressor attached).

I am unsure if the APC9 telescoping stock has the same width but B&T's site shows a similar design. If you get the APC9 stock and need a similar adapter I might be able to help.

Attachments

• 20230430_192125.jpg
      20230430_192125.jpg
      139 KB · Views: 54

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    I did it through Silencershop. I did upload it but I think the certified version went in with just the pic of the serial number
    Yea, looked at the eform Site and mine all went through with just serial numbers. Not seeing the letter attached. ‍♂️ not really worried about it.

SigNerd

Feb 24, 2015
    Why would the Federal ATF care about the “MSP letter”?
    Because the ATF normally doesn't allow <29" OAL SBRs to be registered in MD because of a state law that requires rifles to be >=29". They are simply applying the state law on MD's behalf.

The MSP letter says that braced firearms are handguns under state law, even if registered as SBRs with the ATF. Therefore the 29" rule doesn't apply to braced firearms and the ATF shouldn't enforce it on the state's behalf. This has been confirmed to work in practice a few times in this thread.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Just had three amnesty form 1s come back approved. Filed as an individual on March 20th. Got my own fingerprint EFT from printscan. Cell phone pic.

For what it’s worth… “approved with conditions”…
    6EA812A8-0D0C-4D4D-B67D-729D34B1C0E5.png

EF082D41-E0D2-4671-B299-A4043B9B2331.png

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Because the ATF normally doesn't allow <29" OAL SBRs to be registered in MD because of a state law that requires rifles to be >=29". They are simply applying the state law on MD's behalf.

The MSP letter says that braced firearms are handguns under state law, even if registered as SBRs with the ATF. Therefore the 29" rule doesn't apply to braced firearms and the ATF shouldn't enforce it on the state's behalf. This has been confirmed to work in practice a few times in this thread.
    Gotcha. I haven’t seen that letter, can you post a copy of it?

Titanmax

Apr 3, 2008
    Eastern Shore of Maryland

"Therefore the 29" rule doesn't apply to braced firearms"

Has this actually been confirmed with MSP or is this just an interpretation of the advisory that was issued. I've read this over at least 10 times and it's still confusing to me. It states that braced handguns are still considered handguns (with the brace removed), but nowhere does is state we can turn a <29" handgun/pistol into an SBR and still be MD compliant.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    "Therefore the 29" rule doesn't apply to braced firearms"

Has this actually been confirmed with MSP or is this just an interpretation of the advisory that was issued. I've read this over at least 10 times and it's still confusing to me. It states that braced handguns are still considered handguns (with the brace removed), but nowhere does is state we can turn a <29" handgun/pistol into an SBR and still be MD compliant.
    You can't turn a <29" pistol into a MD defined SBR (with a normal stock) and still be MD compliant. You can register a MD defined pistol as an ATF defined SBR. The advisory has been interpreted by MSP to say that braced pistols are still pistols under MD law for the purposes of the copycat definition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom