• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Loader

Jan 5, 2013
    Not to derail this topic too much, but since the topic of collectors was brought up... Has anyone here successfully obtained their designated collector status prior to the background check coming back on their first regulated purchase? I'm basically wondering whether I should submit now or wait until after my BC comes back on my first purchase.

Yes, me. I submitted for DC while waiting for my XDM to show up. I found an M&P 40 two days later, so bought that. DC came back well before the M&P, my first regulated purchase. See dates in sig

sino26

Mar 5, 2013
    Columbia
    Finally got the call yesterday.
    2/23 purchase at HoCo gunshow
    2/24 fax sent to MSP
    4/16 ND
    Called MSP on 4/19 and was told fax would be sent over the weekend
    Called FFL on 4/23 - no fax received
    Called MSP morning of 4/24 - they said they would look into it. FFL called a couple of hours later saying it was ready.

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    Finally got the call yesterday.
    2/23 purchase at HoCo gunshow
    2/24 fax sent to MSP
    4/16 ND
    Called MSP on 4/19 and was told fax would be sent over the weekend
    Called FFL on 4/23 - no fax received
    Called MSP morning of 4/24 - they said they would look into it. FFL called a couple of hours later saying it was ready.

Since they are changing the laws around here so willy nilly, they should have a law that prohibits MSP from delaying the process. If I will have to pay for a license, give up prints, and still do a background check, I want my purchase the same day. In New York State, even though you have to go from the store, to the county, to the court and pick up your purchase the next day, it's better than this. Guys in GA, TX, and CO tell me the store calls the state and the state checks and most purchases get taken home within 30 mins. If you have a concealed carry, there is no additional check when you buy. Speaking of concealed carry, our state sucks when it comes to 2nd amendment rights.

david2260

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 7, 2012
    Ocean View DE
    I purchased a lower and had it shipped to my FFL. That was Feb 26. I just picked it up Tuesday, but the FFL was notified on April 20 that it was not Disapproved. FFL told me that he has some items that went in BEFORE mine and still haven't come back.

R1125

Apr 11, 2013
    Frederick
    Day 52 with multiple emails and VMs and haven't heard squat from MSP! Would like to think it's because they are so hard at work trying to catch up BUT......................#$^*&!)(&$(!*&(*&$(*&(*&@!(!!!(!*&!(_)(+!_)+!^&*(@^!%$(&!^%$(&^!

I am day 51, I talked to MSP today at 1410 pm She said they are working on 3/2. that They will start 3/5 on May 1st. She told me they have over 600 apps. for 3/5. I have sent emails and have called numerous time. I was surprised she pick the phone up. My faxed date is 3/5. If you go to review it will be longer she told me.

I am day 51, I talked to MSP today at 1410 pm She said they are working on 3/2. that They will start 3/5 on May 1st. She told me they have over 600 apps. for 3/5. I have sent emails and have called numerous time. I was surprised she pick the phone up. My faxed date is 3/5. If you go to review it will be longer she told me.
    My last name is SMITH so i'm FU$*ED! I HATE MARYLAND anymore.

Dichotmist

Dec 17, 2012
    California, MD

This is BS as I am still waiting for a Feb 26th app... FFL says they just got Feb 22nd today. :mad54:

ironcity

Feb 6, 2013
    Taneytown
    Just received this response:

Good afternoon, we are currently processing applications dated March 1st & 2nd for "Not Disapprove" and February 19th for applications placed on "Review"

I filled out my paperwork on 1 march so hopefully they are working on it now.

Maxsplat

Apr 11, 2013
    Westmonster
    Since they are changing the laws around here so willy nilly, they should have a law that prohibits MSP from delaying the process. If I will have to pay for a license, give up prints, and still do a background check, I want my purchase the same day. In New York State, even though you have to go from the store, to the county, to the court and pick up your purchase the next day, it's better than this. Guys in GA, TX, and CO tell me the store calls the state and the state checks and most purchases get taken home within 30 mins. If you have a concealed carry, there is no additional check when you buy. Speaking of concealed carry, our state sucks when it comes to 2nd amendment rights.

And you're just now realizing this?:lol2:

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis
    I'm curious why stuff gets placed on review, and if people that got placed on review the first purchase got placed on review again. They shouldn't have a record, but you know secretly they do!

scottp999

Feb 11, 2008
    I'm curious why stuff gets placed on review, and if people that got placed on review the first purchase got placed on review again. They shouldn't have a record, but you know secretly they do!

They must destroy a prior review. If you bought a gun in Dec 2012 (for example NICS check on a shotgun) and were placed in review/delay, then got called back as approved 3 days later. They review work gets destroyed and the next time you go through it you will likely be reviewed again.

There is a process to voluntarily give them the ability to retain the records and help speed up the process. Voluntary Appeal File (VAF).

Here is the FBI video on the VAF. I have no idea if this helps with buying regulated in MD, but would hope it would.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTqeeWb1pPw

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom