• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Clearly they aren't capable of performing the task, so let's get rid of it. It's anti-American anyway. (yeah, like that's going to happen :rolleyes:)

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    did a private transfer on the 15th and the paperwork didnt come back until the 28th

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    I don't mind the 7 day wait for your 1st handgun purchase but anything after that is just silly.
    They say there is no actually gun registration but we all know there is. They know I have X amount of regulated firearms, I don't need to wait 7 days for my 10th AR-15. :rolleyes:

Cpl. Cornbeef

May 22, 2007
    Frederick
    Now we actually have proof that the shell casing database does not work and is a waste of money.

DSP did not ensure that shell casings were received and entered into the database for all qualifying handguns sold in the State, and DSP discontinued using the Maryland Integrated Ballistics Identification System (IBIS). Specifically, our review disclosed the following conditions:

• DSP did not reconcile shell casings received at the crime lab and entered into DSP’s internal shell casing database to related handgun registrations recorded on MAFSS for all but one month during the audit period. As a result, there was a lack of assurance that a shell casing was received for all qualifying guns sold and recorded in the database. In this regard, our test of 12 new handgun sales during the period from January 2008 through January 2009 disclosed that 5 handguns’ shells were not recorded in DSP’s internal shell casing database. DSP management could not readily determine the disposition of these shell casings.

• In April 2007, DSP discontinued scanning shell casings from new handgun sales into IBIS and discontinued entering shell casings from crime scenes into IBIS in September 2008. Since this time, DSP maintained a listing of the shell casings in an internal database and retained the original shell casings.

IBIS is an image analysis system that was intended to acquire, store, and analyze the images of spent cartridge casings for use in criminal investigations. DSP management advised us that it discontinued using IBIS because it did not perform as intended. For example, IBIS failed to recognize
    a match when the same shell casing was intentionally scanned into the system twice. As a result, DSP is attempting to recover approximately $2.3 million paid to the vendor to install and maintain IBIS.
    State law requires handgun manufacturers that ship or transport a handgun to the
    State to include with the handgun a shell casing of a projectile fired from that
    handgun, which is to be forwarded to DSP by the dealer upon the sale of the
    handgun. The law further requires DSP to establish a database of these casings for use in subsequent criminal investigations. This law became effective October 1, 2000, and the term of the contract with the IBIS vendor began August 15, 2000. According to DSP personnel, as of April 2009, approximately 26,800 new shell casings have been catalogued into the internal database since April 2007.

Recommendation 3
    We recommend that DSP
    a. establish adequate procedures and controls to ensure that all required
    shell casings are received and entered into a database as required by
    State law; and
    b. with the assistance of the Attorney General’s Office, resolve the pending
    contract issues with the IBIS vendor.

jaywade

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2009
    Leesburg, VA
    I don't mind the 7 day wait for your 1st handgun purchase but anything after that is just silly.
    They say there is no actually gun registration but we all know there is. They know I have X amount of regulated firearms, I don't need to wait 7 days for my 10th AR-15. :rolleyes:

yeah this too makes no sense to me, I mean I look at how many firearms I own why in the hell do I have to wait 7 days for teh next one and it never really 7 days it's more like 10 casue of saturday and sunday.....makes no sense, don't even start me on the 1 gun per 30 days thing... I sent my app for collector status back in nov still haven't heard a thing

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    ...unless your first handgun purchase is because someone is determined to kill you without delay.
    1) I'd buy a pistol grip shotgun :D

2) I totally understand you point Don, but I'm trying to think of ways to loosen up the laws a bit since there is no way in hell it will go away completely. I'd love for them to have cash and carry like VA and PA.

What is their justification for that again?

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Now we actually have proof that the shell casing database does not work and is a waste of money.

DSP did not ensure that shell casings were received and entered into the database for all qualifying handguns sold in the State, and DSP discontinued using the Maryland Integrated Ballistics Identification System (IBIS). Specifically, our review disclosed the following conditions:

• DSP did not reconcile shell casings received at the crime lab and entered into DSP’s internal shell casing database to related handgun registrations recorded on MAFSS for all but one month during the audit period. As a result, there was a lack of assurance that a shell casing was received for all qualifying guns sold and recorded in the database. In this regard, our test of 12 new handgun sales during the period from January 2008 through January 2009 disclosed that 5 handguns’ shells were not recorded in DSP’s internal shell casing database. DSP management could not readily determine the disposition of these shell casings.

• In April 2007, DSP discontinued scanning shell casings from new handgun sales into IBIS and discontinued entering shell casings from crime scenes into IBIS in September 2008. Since this time, DSP maintained a listing of the shell casings in an internal database and retained the original shell casings.

IBIS is an image analysis system that was intended to acquire, store, and analyze the images of spent cartridge casings for use in criminal investigations. DSP management advised us that it discontinued using IBIS because it did not perform as intended. For example, IBIS failed to recognize
    a match when the same shell casing was intentionally scanned into the system twice. As a result, DSP is attempting to recover approximately $2.3 million paid to the vendor to install and maintain IBIS.
    State law requires handgun manufacturers that ship or transport a handgun to the
    State to include with the handgun a shell casing of a projectile fired from that
    handgun. The law further requires DSP to establish a database of these casings for use in subsequent criminal investigations. This law became effective October 1, 2000, and the term of the contract with the IBIS vendor began August 15, 2000. According to DSP personnel, as of April 2009, approximately 26,800 new shell casings have been catalogued into the internal database since April 2007.

Recommendation 3
    We recommend that DSP
    State law; and

Incredible. They don't even do anything with the shell casings. They admit that it doesn't work. Yet they still require us to submit them meaning either we can't get some of the handguns we want or we have to pay an extra $40 or so and get a MD dealer to do it for ABSOLUTEY NO REASON! :mad54:

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD

Recommendation 3
    We recommend that DSP
    State law; and

Arrest MDSP firearms branch for conspiracy to violate MD firearms law?
    File a lawsuit?

What would they do if the positions were reversed? What would they do if a dealer transferred a new firearm but failed to supply the shell casing?

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    I try to explain this MD BS ('waiting period', fired shell casing, etc) to my brother-in-law in AZ and he looks at me like I'm speaking latin...:sad20:

mh53gunner

Dec 17, 2009
    The main questions that needs to be answered in my opnion is:
    1. HOW MANY CRIMES HAVE BEEN SOLVED BY THE BALLISTIC FINGERPRINTING OF SHELL CASES?
    2. NOW MUCH FREAKING MONEY IS BEING WAISTED ON THIS REQUIREMENT?

Even the Peoples Republic of Kalifornika decided the cost was prohibitive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom