MSP Got one... Instructor caught cutting corners, permits invalidated.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TRON 2.0

Free light cycle rides
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 13, 2011
    PG county
    Is there a list of who is being investigated by the MSP for cutting corners on training?

I have seen rumors around about companies, but I haven't seen actual sources or evidence presented showing that companies are being investigated.

ICW2019

Mar 8, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    Is there a list of who is being investigated by the MSP for cutting corners on training?

I have seen rumors around about companies, but I haven't seen actual sources or evidence presented showing that companies are being investigated.
    Not seen any list but R/mdguns says somewhere between 35-40 instructors currently have or will be contacted. MM from Fruitland has already been contacted but evidently his course material was sound enough and just skirted some of the time. They currently won't be making the applicants redo another certification.

I purposely only added initials as you can go search MSP website yourself for the instructor. Trying not to completely dox someone.

TRON 2.0

Free light cycle rides
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 13, 2011
    PG county
    Not seen any list but R/mdguns says somewhere between 35-40 instructors currently have or will be contacted. MM from Fruitland has already been contacted but evidently his course material was sound enough and just skirted some of the time. They currently won't be making the applicants redo another certification.

I purposely only added initials as you can go search MSP website yourself for the instructor. Trying not to completely dox someone.
    If they have contacted instructors, are those instructors required to notify their students?

I am under the impression that those who attended the class at the location that had their license revoked, were required to retake the classes to obtain another certification before their applications could be processed. one of the 2A lawyers i contacted after hearing the rumor about my training said that MSP could revoke a permit if an instructor's training was found to be an issue.

ICW2019

Mar 8, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    If they have contacted instructors, are those instructors required to notify their students?

I am under the impression that those who attended the class at the location that had their license revoked, were required to retake the classes to obtain another certification before their applications could be processed. one of the 2A lawyers i contacted after hearing the rumor about my training said that MSP could revoke a permit if an instructor's training was found to be an issue.
    i Believe it's purely discretionary at this point. I know two people that went through his class that got their permits this last weeks and the instructor was contacted back late July or early August. They asked if he covered required materials and did actual live fire quals. The instructors that MSP is cancelling applicants for is large formats of a required content that was omitted or crazy amounts of hours being cut.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I am astounded that there are instructors that do not know the required subjects to be covered, but I guess there are some people who thought that they could just teach whatever they felt like teaching with no knowledge of the fact that there are required subjects. As part of the beginning presentation of the class, so the students know what the expectations of the class are, I mention that there are four areas that are required by the state and that is why they will receive instruction in each of the different subjects.

Ap5fan

Sep 26, 2022
    Cockeysville

wonder how they know how many are being looked into.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    I am astounded that there are instructors that do not know the required subjects to be covered, but I guess there are some people who thought that they could just teach whatever they felt like teaching with no knowledge of the fact that there are required subjects. As part of the beginning presentation of the class, so the students know what the expectations of the class are, I mention that there are four areas that are required by the state and that is why they will receive instruction in each of the different subjects.

What are the four areas required by the state?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I bet a lot of instructors are leaving out either mechanisms and actions or home firearm safety or both.

If your class did not cover these it was defective.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    I bet a lot of instructors are leaving out either mechanisms and actions or home firearm safety or both.

If your class did not cover these it was defective.

There's plenty of time to get to that, I should hope they don't leave this out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom