• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • This morning I spoke to Tom Vondersmith at the management analysis division of MSP in Annapolis concerning the 90 day expiration of form 77. He said that the 90 day time limit has not been addressed and he was forwarding my concern through channels to get an answer. As the regulation is written if the 77 is not stamped within 90 days it gets returned and the applicant has 7 days to resubmit it. I have little confidence that the state will extend this deadline. They have already refused to allow the 30 day period to begin after 37 days regardless if you take possession of the firearm or not..

He also said they were hiring 20 more people to do background checks but those people will not be in place until July.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    This morning I spoke to Tom Vondersmith at the management analysis division of MSP in Annapolis concerning the 90 day expiration of form 77. He said that the 90 day time limit has not been addressed and he was forwarding my concern through channels to get an answer.

He also said they were hiring 20 more people to do background checks but those people will not be in place until July.

Good way to get the HQL requirement in play. Wait until July, hover on the just below 90 day limit and force us all to get printed...

raff696

Nov 1, 2008
    just use FFl's that will transfer on the 8th day! like On target and Shooters Discount! once business dries up at other FFL's they will follow suit and things will get better wait time wise!

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    just use FFl's that will transfer on the 8th day! like On target and Shooters Discount! once business dries up at other FFL's they will follow suit and things will get better wait time wise!

On target does not do transfers. I'm not sure about SD, but at least with OT, if you want it and its not in the store, keep checking back.

madness3120

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 4, 2012

I havent been following that thread but what if when MSP finally gets to that person app that has already taken possession come to find out there disqualified ?

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    On target does not do transfers. I'm not sure about SD, but at least with OT, if you want it and its not in the store, keep checking back.

Terminology clarification here:

Transfer: release of firearm to rightful owner
    Transfer: moving item from one FFL (or vendor/manufacturer) to another; frequently used for Internet purchases.

All FFL's do the first one, or they wouldn't be in business

Some FFL's don't do the second one, their policy or safe is full at this point.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    I havent been following that thread but what if when MSP finally gets to that person app that has already taken possession come to find out there disqualified ?

SD is only releasing on time to those with a designated collector's permit, a LEO or someone with a CCW; three things that would require a background check to have already been processed.

On Target has a release form that say should you be found disapproved, its between MSP and you to clear up or choose someone to transfer the Regulated purchase to. No returns, no refunds.

patdale86

Mar 1, 2013
    Finally got the call for my 3/2 purchase. NICS check runs out the 24th so I need to pick it up right away or it would have to go through NICS again. I'm sure others will be dealing with that soon.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    Good way to get the HQL requirement in play. Wait until July, hover on the just below 90 day limit and force us all to get printed...
    It was my understanding that any paperwork submitted prior to 10/1 was not subject to the new regulations.

Finally got the call for my 3/2 purchase. NICS check runs out the 24th so I need to pick it up right away or it would have to go through NICS again. I'm sure others will be dealing with that soon.

I am almost expecting this with my FFL. Actually I'm expecting them to notify me that they forgot to call me when my paperwork came in and the date is now expired since I did not know to come pick up my handguns. This is an FFL that told me I could not come in to fill out the paperwork for an internet transfer until a week after it arrived to give them ample time to inventory it.

Engage and A1 both told me come in same day for comparison.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I just came from the store that holds my paperwork. I have been waiting 10 weeks now. I was told that the paperwork for background check expires in 90 days from the date of purchase (NOT the date the paperwork is sent) I purchased my firearm online and had it shipped to the FFL which took an additional 5 days. So right now I am looking at 79 days.

The store clerk said that if the paperwork is not returned within 90 days it must be resubmitted and I go back to the end of the line. He is still getting paperwork back from February so the chances of mine coming back in the next 11 days might be slim. Does anyone know if this is accurate and do I have any recourse short of hiring a lawyer?

This is not correct. Look at the form yourself. It states that the form is valid for 90 days once MSP gives the ND (in my own words)

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    SD is only releasing on time to those with a designated collector's permit, a LEO or someone with a CCW; three things that would require a background check to have already been processed.

There is a fourth as well: If purchasing a regulated long gun, he will run NICS instead of waiting for MSP.

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011

There is a fourth as well: If purchasing a regulated long gun, he will run NICS instead of waiting for MSP.

I love Lou. Never met him, love him just the same.

S.M.I.B

May 21, 2013
    Calvert County
    Waiting since March 4th. Called today and officer told me they are on March 2nd for second review. TWO DAYS TO GO! (Which will probably be another week of processing)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom