• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tarundlejr

Jun 28, 2013
    Talbot County
    It you factor in the current pace, where the MSP is, the fax overhead (sometimes more than one week) and the fact there are 9 weeks to go to Oct 1st, looks more and more like the bulk of the purchases done between May 15th and May 31st will get their ND's back only after Oct 1st. Purchases after May 31st are pretty much guaranteed to see an ND after Oct 1st. I am like you, back in May 21st, when I did my last purchase with an FFL who is waiting for the ND's, I never thought the transfer could possibly happen after Oct 1st. Back then the wait was 10 weeks, not 15-16 weeks.
    Pardon me if this has been covered before...What happens if October 1st passes and I still haven't been "ND" approved? Are those that had their paperwork in before October 1 "grandfathered" in?

Publius

Mar 18, 2013
    Ellicott City
    Pardon me if this has been covered before...What happens if October 1st passes and I still haven't been "ND" approved? Are those that had their paperwork in before October 1 "grandfathered" in?

Handguns and banned rifles are grandfathered in. On the banned rifles SB281 explicitly says the banned rifles purchased before Oct 1st can be transfered after Oct 1st. I guess the only debate in the banned rifle realm is whether or not you can buy a banned rifle out-of-state before Oct 1st and have it transferred to Maryland FFL after Oct 1st. That situation probably will affect a small set of people. On the handgun realm, the big question is whether a handgun purchased before Oct 1st will require from the buyer a handgun qualification licence for a transfer after Oct 1st. The law isn't explicit on that point. People say we will only really know when the regulations implementing SB281 come out.

xcoastie

May 10, 2013
    What happens if October 1st passes and I still haven't been "ND" approved? Are those that had their paperwork in before October 1 "grandfathered" in?

Depends. The law specifies that previously-available (but soon to be banned) long guns that are ordered before October 1 are allowed to be delivered. There is no such grandfather clause in the law for handgun purchases that are in progress on October 1. So, it's not clear whether those whose handgun transactions that cross October 1 will be required to apply for a Handgun Qualification License. If it's decided exclusively by the law, my personal understanding (and I'm not a lawyer) is that an HQL application will have to be processed. If it's decided by MSP processes and regulations, it's possible that the HQL process may be avoided.

In this situation, it might be that the lawsuit results will actually hurt those of us who are dealing with the late-release FFL dealers: the MSP can honestly say that the MSP didn't cause the transactions to cross that October 1 boundary---the dealers "chose" not to transfer the merchandise, and the pre-October 1 law (and lawsuit) gave the dealers the opportunity to "choose."

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If I read 281 correctly, the only way a MD FFL can transfer a banned weapon after Oct 1 is to have it in his possession before Oct. 1. Guess MSP will decide if it comes up.

jkerm3

Jul 17, 2013
    Sunderland
    102 for me and would like the nightmare to be over, and my ffl says there doing 8 day releases! I must be on the wrong list or something. :(

I would seriously ask your FFL where you stand at this point. If they are doing 8 day releases and even if they claim are working through their backlog, you should be at the very top of the list at this point no matter what.

Peartree

May 25, 2013
    Mt Airy
    105 today!

I'm calling today.....

I received this at 9:16am this morning:

"In reference to your inquiry your application was processed on 7/26/2013 and placed on Secondary Review. We are currently processing applications for Secondary Review dated 4/12/2013. Thank You."

Application was submitted on 4/16. So from then to 7/26 = 101 days.
    Second review, 7/26 to now, day 4. Wonder how long it will take to get out of review? Hopefully, next week! What a bunch of crap!!!!!!:mad54:

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    I received this at 9:16am this morning:

"In reference to your inquiry your application was processed on 7/26/2013 and placed on Secondary Review. We are currently processing applications for Secondary Review dated 4/12/2013. Thank You."

Application was submitted on 4/16. So from then to 7/26 = 101 days.
    Second review, 7/26 to now, day 4. Wonder how long it will take to get out of review? Hopefully, next week! What a bunch of crap!!!!!!:mad54:

Looks like it is taking them 2 days to do each day on the secondary review list. Maybe they will get to mine (April 13) tomorrow. Can't imagine my FFL will get the fax before next week. Just so I can pick it up before I go out of the country for 2 weeks the end of August.

xref

May 9, 2013
    I just rescued my gun with a "DC Letter" from the dealer. No more waiting for an ND. I submitted a "DC Letter" in early June and was able to beat the regular process. Victory.

BlackInjun

Jun 7, 2013
    sure does and sorry was excited

bought 04/17/13
    msar faxed 04/19/13
    ND in the AM 08/01/13

You know what's funny I called in early may and the trooper I talked with said 04/17 you will probably be in August. I thought he was being pessimistic and knew I would get it late June early July.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom