• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Ok...so alot of ffls have stopped doing transfers....shelves are generally empty...so yet again, where the **** is all this overload msp is getting?

I've been wondering this for a few days. Local shops are essentially dry. I doubt anyone is selling now at the volume they were twelve months ago. They have probably been super busy from November through January. But that gives MSP 5-6 weeks to have caught up with a backlog. Sure, I bet there have been more transfers, even given that some FFLs are no longer doing them. But enough to equate to last year's volume? And enough so that wait times are still not coming down? In fact, I think wait times are going up, aren't they?

The whole thing is fishy.

WiseOldMan53

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 5, 2013
    Frederick MD
    Wow, you are clearly not a gun dealer.

This situation does dealers great harm in that storing and securing hundreds of customer guns is a HUGE pain in the a## and gun storage while taking up expensive space, time and resources makes us ZERO, ZIP, NADDA.

That is why lots of dealers simply refuse all transfers these days. Most shops are not huge places with tons of storage, and you can't just put customer guns in a broom closet, you need a vault room or lots of big expensive safes.

Add to that that it takes very little time for customers to start turning on the dealers because of MSP shortcomings, and it is a big no-win for gun dealers. I cannot tell you how many angry calls I have fielded in the last few weeks from pissed customers.

I don't blame them for being mad, and I won't get shi$#y with any of them, no mater how angry they get at me, because I took their money and I owe them what they paid for, polite quality service, but man oh man, it wears on you by the end of the day...

Back on point, the MSP wait matters to dealers big time. Regardless of whose fault it is, a dissatisfied customer will have a bad taste in their mouth about us, and that means they may not want to come back.

I still welcome transfers and work hard to sell my inventory too, yes, because I want to make a living, but also because we care about responsible gun owners in Maryland and want to get them as much of what they want as quickly we can.

Cut the middle man a little slack. ;)

:thumbsup:

Dave67

Oct 31, 2012
    I have had my new G17 for a month and can't find enough ammo to break it in. The whole shortage of weapons and ammo smells of something.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Because they already have people's money. Firearms waiting for MSP approval are usually fully paid for already. As long as they have the room to store the firearms that are waiting for MSP approval and inventory, they can keep buying stuff to sell. The MSP wait doesn't matter to them unless they run of room to get more inventory in.
    Yeah, but dealers typically have limited lockup space. The more "in jail" guns they have to hold, the less space they have for retail stock to sell to new customers.

Bigstorm87

Jan 22, 2013
    Today is day 40 for me and still no gun.

Same here. Reached the 40+ club today! I am EXPECTING a call this week...but then again, I EXPECTED a call at week four (since that was what I was told when I bought it). Then at week five nothing. Tuesday will be week six exactly...GRRRR!!!!!

Mar 10, 2013
    Wicomico County
    MD Handgun Wait

My frustration is growing. I completed my handgun paperwork on Jan 27, and I am still waiting for approval for MSP . Today is March 10th. 6 weeks roughly so far? FFL estimated it would be 4 weeks, to the best of his knowledge, when I did the paperwork. This is my first handgun, and I am itching to take it target shooting with my brother and my dad. I hope I will have it by April. :sad20: I have lived in MD all my life, and I have never wanted to move out of here more than I do now.

Last edited:

zmayhem

Feb 2, 2012
    Today is day 45 for me. Called and spoke to MSP Friday morning to make sure my application wasn't lost. After not being able to locate it for a little while, somebody found it on their desk. It was "number 4 in a short stack that will be finished soon and faxed over before the close of business today." I thanked them and told them I knew they were swamped and didn't want to bother them but being over 40 days into my 7 day wait I just wanted to make sure they actually had my paperwork. They said no problem, I would definitely be able to pick up my gun that evening. Which would have been great, but here we are two days later and that paperwork that was #4 in a short stack and was definitely going out that day has still not been faxed...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Today is day 45 for me. Called and spoke to MSP Friday morning to make sure my application wasn't lost. After not being able to locate it for a little while, somebody found it on their desk. It was "number 4 in a short stack that will be finished soon and faxed over before the close of business today." I thanked them and told them I knew they were swamped and didn't want to bother them but being over 40 days into my 7 day wait I just wanted to make sure they actually had my paperwork. They said no problem, I would definitely be able to pick up my gun that evening. Which would have been great, but here we are two days later and that paperwork that was #4 in a short stack and was definitely going out that day has still not been faxed...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

There seems to be a 4+ day lag in MSP notifying dealers of approvals. When you do pick up your paperwork, look at the NTN # and date written in the margin.

Last edited:

marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    Just picked up a toy yesterday ( private transfer). Paperwork filled out 1/15, received by MSP 1/22, checks finished 2/22 (yep, 30 days!), stamped NOT DISSAPROVED 2/28' mailed to seller 3/1. So roughly 7 days from FFL to MSP, 5 weeks, @ MSP, one week in mail to seller=almost 7 weeks, ~47 days

parrothead

Mar 4, 2013
    Hagerstown
    It's killing me reading these posts. I did my paperwork on 2/22 so I have quite a wait yet. On the upside, it's giving me a chance to try to find ammo. I'm buying it whenever I see it.
    Purchased a Beretta Storm .40 cal.....First handgun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom