MSP Website Now Shows "New" Policy on HQL Requirement On Pre Oct 1 Purchases....

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    This is more of an FYI. The MSP has now posted the info about not needing an HQL if you complete a 77R before Oct 1. Take what you will about the legal ramifications if you do so, but you may want to print out the letter, or "print screen" the memo as evidence in the event you have an issue.

This is what the website states:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    9/24/2013

FIREARM PURCHASE APPLICANTS WITH APPLICATIONS PENDING ON OCTOBER 1 WILL NOT NEED TO OBTAIN A HANDGUN QUALIFICATION LICENSE

(PIKESVILLE, MD) – Marylanders who have submitted handgun purchase applications on or before September 30 will not be required to obtain a handgun qualification license, as required by the new law that is set to take effect on Oct. 1.

The new law that takes effect in Maryland on October 1 states that a handgun may not be sold, rented, or transferred unless the purchaser, lessee, or transferee has a valid handgun qualification license.

The Maryland State Police (MSP) will not enforce the requirements of the new law with respect to applicants whose applications are pending as of October 1. It was widely understood that the new requirements would not be enforced as to applications that were pending before October 1. In light of the number of currently pending applications—resulting from the unprecedented spike in new applications in recent months—it is a fair, reasoned, and appropriate result for those who are waiting for their pending purchase applications to be processed.

Persons who submit purchase applications on or after October 1, 2013, unless otherwise exempted by law, will be required to apply for and obtain a handgun qualification license before attempting to purchase a handgun.

MSP is working diligently to process all pending firearm purchase applications as expeditiously as possible. A record level of firearm sales in Maryland that began last fall—and which has only intensified in recent days—has led to an unparalleled number of pending purchase applications. MSP’s Licensing Division commenced 21-hour-a-day, seven-day-a-week operations last December—more than doubling the staff in the division—in order to process the spike in applications. MSP has also used additional State Police personnel, who worked more than 24,000 hours of overtime in the past year. Despite those efforts, the number of pending purchase applications continued to grow.

The members of MSP’s Licensing Division will continue to work diligently to process pending applications as quickly as possible, without jeopardizing public safety for speed. MSP greatly appreciates the patience of both the licensed firearms dealers holding the weapons, and Marylanders awaiting approval to receive their guns.

Greg Shipley

Office of Media Communications & Marketing

410-653-4236 (Office) 410-653-4200 (through Headquarters Duty Officer

Here is the link to the posted letter.

https://www.mdsp.org/News/PressRele...tail/mid/1088/xmid/21998/xmfid/4/Default.aspx

Im not sure if most FFL's recieved this memo or not. Perhaps some of the IP's or FFL holders, could chime in if they did.

Also the FAQ on the MSP website now reads the following:

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How do I apply for a Handgun Qualification License?

A. Prior to October 1, 2013, the application process will be automated on the Maryland State Police Licensing Division webpage.

Q. How will a firearms dealer know that I have a Handgun Qualification License?

A. The Maryland State Police will issue a Handgun Qualification License to present to the dealer.

Q. How do I register to instruct the Firearms Safety Training Course?

A. Prior to October 1, 2013, the registration process will be automated on the Maryland State Police Licensing Division webpage.

Q. How does a new resident register a regulated firearm?

A. Prior to October 1, 2013, the registration process will be automated on the Maryland State Police Licensing Division webpage.

Q. Are shotguns or rifles regulated firearms?

A. Although most shotguns and rifles are not regulated, some are, based on their characteristics. Specific questions regarding the registration can be emailed to msp.firearmsregistration@maryland.gov

Q: Will I be required to possess an HQL by October 1, 2013, if I submitted a 77R prior to October 1 and have not yet received approval to retrieve my firearm due to the MSP backlog?

A: The Maryland State Police will not enforce the requirements of the new law with respect to applicants whose applications are pending as of October 1. In light of the number of currently pending applications, resulting from the unprecedented spike in new applications in recent months, it is a fair, reasoned, and appropriate result for those who are waiting for their pending purchase applications to be processed. Persons who submit purchase applications on or after October 1, 2013, unless otherwise
    exempted by law, will be required to apply for and obtain a handgun qualification license before attempting to purchase a handgun.

Here is the link to that FAQ section:

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...irearms/HandgunQualificationLicense/FAQs.aspx

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The funny thing, the MSP is proposing an unlawful act. The police do not have the luxury of making law.

There is nothing to stop an investigation 6 months from now when an FFL is audited, in your arrest.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    The funny thing, the MSP is proposing an unlawful act. The police do not have the luxury of making law.

There is nothing to stop an investigation 6 months from now when an FFL is audited, in your arrest.

Im aware of that - Im just passing the info on whats posted on the MSP site now.

Just a couple of days ago the FAQ under the HQL section read the following:

Will I be required to possess an HQL by October 1, 2013, if I submitted a 77R prior to October 1 and have not yet received approval to retrieve my firearm due to the MSP backlog?

A: The Maryland State Police is currently seeking advice regarding this answer. Once a response has been received, an MSP Licensing Division Advisory will be issued.

anil

Sep 28, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    Q: Will I be required to possess an HQL by October 1, 2013, if I submitted a 77R prior to October 1 and have not yet received approval to retrieve my firearm due to the MSP backlog?

"due to the MSP backlog".

What if you don't have the transfer based on the 7 day wait, and not based on the backlog?
    for a handgun purchased in the final week of September.

This FAQ raises as many questions as it answers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom