• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    I am waiting to hear whether this was inspired by "The Following" Will we see a discussion about regulating the 1st amendment for public safety and taking the show off the air?

If you don't know what I am talking check out "The Following" (Fox, I think).

Was also surprised by the stabbing in "The 100" during the last show. Little girl jabs a guy in the juggler while they are sitting there talking, after watching a older member of the group put down a guy who was chemically burned internally and externally.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    i believe thats part of it but there is something different about the way some younger people act than i remember back when i was in school.

it seems there is a general lack of respect for themselves and for older folks and those in positions of authority.

i remember the dont trust anyone over thirty and f the man stuff from the 60's and 70's but i dont remember this kind of violence with that.

there must be an underlying cause.

maybe you are right about the no daddy kids. maybe kids dont get beat for being bad or taught respect or decency. damn if i can figure it out.

There is a total change in our culture. Kids are not taught to be respectful, they are taught to be entitled. Respect is no longer earned, it is demanded. Everyone needs to be famous, and feels the need to be the center of attention. Just look at social media. People "tweet" and Facebook every single aspect of their lives, as if people really give a damn that they woke up this morning and felt grumpy. With the 24 hour news cycle, they can be instant celebrities by doing this kind of stuff.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Believe it or not, a lot of people don't know they've been stabbed until after the confrontation is long over. Few report seeing the knife during the attack itself. There's no telltale gun shot alerting everyone in the vicinity. Just random people screaming. Certainly not the first time many students in the area had heard some people screaming for no alarming reason. Easy to mistake it for something else. Do you go investigate every car alarm you hear in your neighborhood? Me either.

Shit happens faster than you might think. Over before it started a lot of times, so to speak.

Yeah, I was thinking in a classroom environment, but as more news came out it sounds like it could have been in a hallway. Then I realized not only that, but obviously the student is know. By everyone else, and I'm sure a certain amount of shock was the first reaction from some of the kids. A quick run down the hallway slashing and stabbing at people would take a few seconds to register with observers what is happening and a few more to react. Getting to 20 people (and reports now say not all of those wounds are knife wounds) probably isn't that difficult. I'm guessing it went down in under a minute, maybe 2, but I would be surprised if it was drawn out very long. After thinking about it now, I won't be shocked to hear that it was a student(s) that subdued him.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Somewhere along the line, America/Americans is/are at the end of their collective ropes.

There is a deep seated, fundamental shift taking place in our society.

Be it lack of family unity, lack of jobs, lack of money, lack of compassion, lack of empathy, lack of morals, too many deployments, too many dear John letters, etc.....

The past six to ten years has been brutal for some folks and I think these folks are simply past their breaking points. And a lot of these struggles are not only felt by the parents and bread winners of the house, but felt by their children as well.

For all we know, this could have been a straight "A" student with a promising life ahead of him. He could have been told by his parents, last night, that despite all of his hard work and dedication that they can't afford to send him to college.

Obviously I'm just spit balling here. But we are becoming more and more broken as a society each and every day.

When people are tired, and people are frustrated, and people see no light and the end of a very long and difficult tunnel, they snap.

And in a very perverse way, snapping is normal or it wouldn't be an emotion or an act that lives within the human brain.

We need to find out why these people are snapping. And we need to be told the truth.

Unfortunately, our government isn't too keen on that lately.

the more i think about it, the lack of family unity, the lack of fathers at home, a general lack of respect because no one teaches and beats it into them when they are young has something to do with it.

my boy is 28 and the most respectful person i know but if he wasnt he knows damn well i will bash the hell out of him until he is. this is lacking in the country today. parents want to be friends with their children and dont want to upset or correct them. this i fear is part of the problem.

i dont know about the hard times thing. this, as far as i know, didnt happen during the depression and there have been poor folks as long as there has been money and this craziness is fairly recent and in my opinion getting worse all the time. hell i am far from rich and was brought up dirt poor and i was taught decency and respect from the time i was born. it was expected and when necessary, beaten into you.

i believe its the lack of respect and decency that is at the root of this but damn if i know how to fix it.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    I have heard the recidivism rate for violent criminals in China is zero.

They're on to something.

For sure. There is nothing more disgusting than seeing someone be victimized by a person who has a history of committing violent crimes. We pat them on the back of the hand and send them right back out into society so that they can rape, rob and pillage some more.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    There is a total change in our culture. Kids are not taught to be respectful, they are taught to be entitled. Respect is no longer earned, it is demanded. Everyone needs to be famous, and feels the need to be the center of attention. Just look at social media. People "tweet" and Facebook every single aspect of their lives, as if people really give a damn that they woke up this morning and felt grumpy. With the 24 hour news cycle, they can be instant celebrities by doing this kind of stuff.

yep, a general lack of respect and decency.

the entitlement part well thats a fairly recent thing i think and it is wrong and sure isnt helping things. parents should make their kids work for everything they get.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    the more i think about it, the lack of family unity, the lack of fathers at home, a general lack of respect because no one teaches and beats it into them when they are young has something to do with it.

my boy is 28 and the most respectful person i know but if he wasnt he knows damn well i will bash the hell out of him until he is. this is lacking in the country today. parents want to be friends with their children and dont want to upset or correct them. this i fear is part of the problem.

i dont know about the hard times thing. this, as far as i know, didnt happen during the depression and there have been poor folks as long as there has been money and this craziness is fairly recent and in my opinion getting worse all the time. hell i am far from rich and was brought up dirt poor and i was taught decency and respect from the time i was born. it was expected and when necessary, beaten into you.

i believe its the lack of respect and decency that is at the root of this but damn if i know how to fix it.

Actually, you do know how to fix it. Have people raise their kids with the same values that you raised yours with. I would bet that if we had a MDS family picnic, the kids would by and large be very well behaved and respectful. Unfortunately, people with our values are a minority, particularly in MD.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    Agreed. We've tried jail now I'd like to see us bring back some more creative forms of punishment. How about the brazen bull, the iron maiden, or the pear of anguish? Give these nuts something to really fear. Don't know if it would really deter crime but, what we are doing now isn't working.

I hate to sound harsh, but what we need is to start putting some of these folks to sleep expeditiously. I've always thought that one of the reasons the death penalty in this country isn't the deterrent to crime that it should be is because people know even when they are caught red-handed committing a crime that warrants the death penalty they are going to get a good 10-20 years of additional life while we pay for their public defender to file appeal after appeal. I say when you have an instance like this one where there is no doubt who the person is that committed the crime and no doubt about what crime was committed and no doubt that it is deserving of the death penalty, we should be able to put his ass in the ground with a month or two of the crime.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Actually, you do know how to fix it. Have people raise their kids with the same values that you raised yours with. I would bet that if we had a MDS family picnic, the kids would by and large be very well behaved and respectful. Unfortunately, people with our values are a minority, particularly in MD.

and its a damn shame.

i have had parents from my sons school and from his years of little leage football tell me that my son was the most well behaved child they ever met.then i have had other people tell me my son behaved so well because i was a child abuser for whipping his ass when he miss behaved and making him work for the things he wanted that other kids were just given by their parents.

a terrible thing though, many of my sons friends are dead from od'ing on heroine or oxy. my son has grown up now and has thanked me many times for being so strict and hard. once you see people who you went to school with or played ball with that had what they thought was freedom because their parents let them run wild in a coffin it changes your view on things.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    [/B]

and its a damn shame.

i have had parents from my sons school and from his years of little leage football tell me that my son was the most well behaved child they ever met.then i have had other people tell me my son behaved so well because i was a child abuser for whipping his ass when he miss behaved and making him work for the things he wanted that other kids were just given by their parents.

a terrible thing though, many of my sons friends are dead from od'ing on heroine or oxy. my son has grown up now and has thanked me many times for being so strict and hard. once you see people who you went to school with or played ball with that had what they thought was freedom because their parents let them run wild in a coffin it changes your view on things.

Then I tip my hat to you and 44woman for raising a good man. Probably the hardest and most rewarding job there is.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Then I tip my hat to you and 44woman for raising a good man. Probably the hardest and most rewarding job there is.

thank you sir. it means a lot coming from someone like you. although i have never met you your reputation and posts prove you to be some one of distinction and honor.

and its rewarding because its hard.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    thank you sir. it means a lot coming from someone like you. although i have never met you your reputation and posts prove you to be some one of distinction and honor.

and its rewarding because its hard.

Thanks. I appreciate the compliment, and am trying to follow in your footsteps.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    A story was related to me over the weekend about 3 Southern Maryland good ole boys up in B'more for something and and idiot pulled a knife on them in an attempt to rob them. They proceeded to teach him some manners until the police showed up and wanted to know what was going on. They told him the guy tried to rob them with a knife. Police said let him up, I'll take it from here.

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    Did anyone compare the response to this event vs Newtown? I noticed all the 1st responder vehicles parked in front of the school (police, ambulances, etc). Compare that w/ Newtown where it was hard to take an overhead shot of the school that contained an ambulance in it. They were kept an unusually long distance from the school. Kinda strange.

Tyeraxus

Ultimate Member
    May 15, 2012
    East Tennessee
    Did anyone compare the response to this event vs Newtown? I noticed all the 1st responder vehicles parked in front of the school (police, ambulances, etc). Compare that w/ Newtown where it was hard to take an overhead shot of the school that contained an ambulance in it. They were kept an unusually long distance from the school. Kinda strange.

Incoming WAG based on some basic CERT training on the incident command system - Different jurisdictions will have different incident plans, and even different plans based on the actual incident site due to geography. Also, different incident commanders will set up the command post, triage areas, treatment stations, etc., based on the conditions when they arrive. Once triage, treatment, etc., have been set up, the IC won't lightly move them, because you don't want responders to get confused as to what's where. So if the IC sets up triage and treatment away from the building because a gun is a ranged weapon, it'll stay there through the incident. A knife (non-ranged) incident may warrant areas much closer to the site and again, it'll stay there unless it's forced to move.

Think about it - do you want an active shooter to be able to lean out the window and pop some shots off at the medical personnel? Or do you want some cover or at least concealment between them? If there's not that risk, wouldn't you want your ambulances as close as possible to minimize movement of the wounded?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom