• GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I cannot for one second believe that Chicago isn't on that list.

Your instinct is right...they are number 3. Gary IN is a part of Chicago.

This site is a little strange how they list subsections of cities for some and the whole city for others. From a murder rate perspective (murders/total population) the Chicago downtown area is actually not that bad. It's the surrounding neighborhoods that are terrible.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado

This site is a little strange how they list subsections of cities for some and the whole city for others. From a murder rate perspective (murders/total population) the Chicago downtown area is actually not that bad. It's the surrounding neighborhoods that are terrible.

And per capita murder rate is lower in Chicago because the population is so big.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative

IMO it's more that Gary is the first major stop on the way east on 94. I'd guess Michigan City, IN is problematic, too.

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    Damn Wilmington De dropped to 11 it was near the top per capita few years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I grew up right near Chester PA and my uncle still lives there. Gunshots are a regular occurrence all hours of the night. He lives in a section which is mostly working class but when you get in the area between I95 and the Delaware River, watch out. The only exception is Harrah's and the PPL Park (soccer stadium).

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    Chester PA is Filthadelpia...not surprising at all. St Louis taking 2 of the top five is a bit of surprise to me.
    Unsurprising to those of us who live here. The overnight shooting reports are standard clips in the morning news.

Gary is not part of Chicago. East Chicago (further up the list) is closer to the state line than Gary. The site lists independent cities in a metro area, not actual neighborhoods within a city. Still, unsurprising. Gary's been up in the top 20 since I was a kid living one town over.

For what it's worth, I've lived in the Chicago and St. Louis metro areas for about 27 years and work nights in St. Louis City. Being aware of your surroundings and minding your business goes a long way.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The site is upfront about their criteria. But the way the parameters are set gives the counterintuituve results . Gary IN and E. St Louis have long been hot spots of crime and violence, going back to the earlt days of the Industrial Revolution.

But in general, the population cutoff of 25k is problematic. For a jurisdiction of say 25,500 population wether a small city in rural area, or a small independent city in large metro area can be deceptive.

A small city having one or two specific incidents can skew the annual numbers. In metro areas crime generally, and turf wars un particular occurs in discrete neighborhoods for the most part. When that 'hood happens to be independent city like Gary IN , makes them look really bad. I'm sure things are worse in several 'hoods in Southside Chi , but those numbers get diluted by the huge population of the City of Chiraq.

Now I would be interested in an alternative analysis broken down by MSA, and by County ( outside of Virginia).

stm

Mar 9, 2012
    It is a known fact that Chicago underreports their violent crime statistics. It's probably done to keep them off lists like these.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In general underreporting is a real thing in certian jurisdictions. But dead bodies are hard to sweep under the rug, and homicides are the catagory closest to reliable.

Chicago has 2.7 million population city wide, and can statistically balance out a lot of homicides. Now if you broke things down by ward, or some other smaller, yet still large breakdown , they would be up there with Gary. ( Does Chi use Quadrents? Or mayby Northside, Westside, Southside , plus Loop ? )

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Chester was a crap hole since at least the 80s. When I was commuting to PNSY I was warned never to stop there.

It used to be all middle class in the 1960's and 70's until manufacturing jobs all left. I just finished reading an article in the paper from back home and they have a woman from Chester held on 9 counts of straw purchases. They've recovered 5 of them in uses of crimes. Until crap like that stops, the city will continue to be a dump.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    It is a known fact that Chicago underreports their violent crime statistics. It's probably done to keep them off lists like these.

Death by natural causes.. You die eventually when shot.

bluedog46

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2011
    Be neat if they put demographics by each city. I would not be surprised if there is a trend here. I also would not be surprised if the super majority of those cities are HEAVY democrat areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom