• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThatIsAFact

Mar 5, 2007
    Washington Post: "5 questions about Maryland’s gun-control bill," by Aaron C. Davis, Thursday, March 28, 7:57 AM.

Sweeping gun-control legislation promoted by Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley (D) once appeared on a fast-track to clear the Maryland General Assembly. It passed the state Senate with ease on Feb. 28 and moved to the House of Delegates, where lawmakers held a marathon hearing on the measure the next day. A month later, the reality has turned out to be far different. . . .

Read the complete story here:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...728-11e2-97cd-3d8c1afe4f0f_story.html?hpid=z5

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    In true WaPo form it says...nothing substantial. It's all grandstanding, building up anticipation for the eventual vote.

Expert journalism there I say. Expert.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    waPo is obviously saddened by the delay, the story is written in a way that makes people want to call Vallario and get him to move on the Senate version.

However, I did find one nugget:

"In recent days, however, pressure on those Democrats from gun-control advocates and the governor’s office appears to have had an effect. If the votes aren’t there, sources say it is unlikely that Judiciary Committee leaders would even risk a public vote on a watered-down assault weapons ban, which could expose the committee’s conservative Democrats to challenges on the left in next year’s primary."

Our DINO 2014 campaign is being heard. With the new interst in outing their supporters, this will get even more frenzied. Keep up the pressure, WE CAN DO THIS!!!

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    what scare me is even if we succeed in killing this bill during the 2013 session, these assholes will be running it though next session

True, there are always going to be the Feinsteins and Froshes of the world. But we're having an impact. MOM certainly didn't expect to encounter this much resistance and politicians remember the squeaky wheels that could affect their re-election possibilities.

Macsti

Jul 8, 2011
    Ceciltucky
    #5 really got a hmph out of me.... Is Vallario a Conservative D or Liberal D?

5. The X-factor, the wild card:

"Does Vallario have a trick up his sleeve? The powerful chairman is no friend of what he calls “knee-jerk” legislation. The few gun bills that have passed his committee in recent years have often taken years of refinement before winning his approval."

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    what scare me is even if we succeed in killing this bill during the 2013 session, these assholes will be running it though next session

Every year after this one will be easier for us and harder for them. We've organized, and we have a whole bunch of gun rights advocates where last year all we had was a bunch of BGOS sufferers. They still just have a bunch of legislators.

We should thank Marty for giving us the rallying cry we needed to get organized.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD

And we will be here, in force, again next session :party29: If by chance this doesn't, pass, the Dino movement needs to work on removing the senators (i.e Frosh, Brochin) that rammed this through the senate. If they see we made true on our word, they may not try next session.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    #5 really got a hmph out of me.... Is Vallario a Conservative D or Liberal D?

5. The X-factor, the wild card:

"Does Vallario have a trick up his sleeve? The powerful chairman is no friend of what he calls “knee-jerk” legislation. The few gun bills that have passed his committee in recent years have often taken years of refinement before winning his approval."

Vallerio is what I refer to as "prudent". He will shoot down legislation that he agrees with in principle if he feels it's poorly worded or "too soon". He's unlike your typical "reactionary" legislator, which is why I think he's been around so long.

Charlie K.

Feb 3, 2013
    Baltimore

And we fight it again. But we will have our ducks in a row. If our talks of a PAC come true we will have funds and they will know this. We need to meet our Reps and Delegates on neutral grounds. We need to reach out to them.

Macsti

Jul 8, 2011
    Ceciltucky
    Vallerio is what I refer to as "prudent". He will shoot down legislation that he agrees with in principle if he feels it's poorly worded or "too soon". He's unlike your typical "reactionary" legislator, which is why I think he's been around so long.

And you know, thats a quality of a good legislator and someone who even though you may not agree in principle with his views, you agree he gives it a fair look every time. Kudos to him for that.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    And you know, thats a quality of a good legislator and someone who even though you may not agree in principle with his views, you agree he gives it a fair look every time. Kudos to him for that.

Vallerio is a class act. He has been nothing but accommodating to anyone who has anything to say about this bill, and my understanding is that he's the same way about every piece of controversial legislation that makes it onto his committee.

Macsti

Jul 8, 2011
    Ceciltucky
    Vallerio is a class act. He has been nothing but accommodating to anyone who has anything to say about this bill, and my understanding is that he's the same way about every piece of controversial legislation that makes it onto his committee.

Comparing how the bill was in committee in the Senate and how it was in the house was night and day. Shows the difference between Frosh and Vallario.

I will even edit my post to say, I would even consider voting for Vallario if I also agree with some of his views, but unlike some other D's, I would be shunned for even saying that.

Jack Ryan

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    People’s Republic of Maryland
    I love how the Sunpaper is out to lunch on the whole deal...what rag it has become.

In the vacuum the Washingon Post picks up the story, and gives pretty detailed, objective, and informative overview of a very complex issue, better than the Sun would do on their best day.

goalie098

Trigger Monkey
    Oct 18, 2010
    Finksburg, MD

I have to give him that. At the end of the day that's what the system is set up they way it is. To slow down emotional legislation and try to evaluate things legally and sensibly. Something we are sorely missing at all level of Government right now. But, it does seem like the Lib are more emotional than most. Even with that said the ones who worry me more are the ones who tank it all for a personal agenda and ignore their mandate to represent the people.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD

And he was very accepting of us when we basically took over his office yesterday for 15 min. I was standing next to him as they had to leave and he gave a good handshake saying thanks for stopping in.

They might be getting strong armed by MOM, but we need to remind them that 1) MOM is gone after next year, but we'll still be here
    2) MOM doesn't care about long term effects, he is simply trying to look good to the national DNC for a presidential run. He doesn't care about the Deligates either, it's not like he will bring them into the White House with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom