• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    So I have a 10/22. It is the synthetic stock, stainless version. The rifle is 10 years old.

To be blunt, it sucks.

It seems every fifth shot is a stove pipe. It does not care about what kind of mag. I have used the BX-10, BX-25, the metal lipped clear ones from Butler Creek, all of them give comparable results.

I mainly use CCA minimags but Remington Thunderbolt gives basically the same results.

I have taken apart the bolt, removed the firing pin and cleaned the piss out of everything. I even upgraded the extractor to the Volquartsen one. Same shit. I run dry lube in it.

As I said, it's mainly a stove pipe issue. I feel like the gun use to fire OK and it was the last 5 or so years that it has been sucking.

clean the mags, try some different ammo, the Remington can be inconsistent but the CCI should work OK

^What he said...........
    Along with this train of thought, is the rifle being held tight?
    I have seen where firearms have been held, for lack of a better term, "limp-wristed"(will neither confirm, nor deny that it was my wife...hehe).
    When this happens, the whole firearm moves backwards when firing and the springs do not function properly and stovepipes are more likely to occur.

Most likely, it is the ammo and magazines, though.

I upgraded both of my 10/22s to full volquartsen trigger groups.
    They break at about 2-1/4 lbs!
    And still have feed issues from time to time.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    So I have a 10/22. It is the synthetic stock, stainless version. The rifle is 10 years old.

To be blunt, it sucks.
    Yeah, I never really liked the synthetic stock version either.
    It seems every fifth shot is a stove pipe. It does not care about what kind of mag. I have used the BX-10, BX-25, the metal lipped clear ones from Butler Creek, all of them give comparable results.
    Unless ALL of these mags are dirty, any problems are not a dirty mag. A dirty mag causes failures to feed anyway, and that's not your stated problem.
    I mainly use CCA minimags but Remington Thunderbolt gives basically the same results.
    The Remingtons are sketchy, but the CCIs should run smoothly.
    I have taken apart the bolt, removed the firing pin and cleaned the piss out of everything.
    Piss would not cause this problem.
    I even upgraded the extractor to the Volquartsen one. Same shit.
    Changing the extractor didn't help because the extractor was already working.

Extraction: The act of pulling the cartridge case from the chamber.

Ejection: The act of throwing the case clear of the breech.

Clearly, you have an ejection problem, NOT an extraction problem.

I would buy a $15.00 Power Custom ejector to replace your defective ejector.

I ASSUME yous ejector actually is defective because you have removed and thoroughly cleaned the bolt and related parts. If you did not locate and clean the ejector and the track in the bolt it follows, do so now and retest. If the bolt is making a full stroke to the rear, then it is the ejector.
    I run dry lube in it.
    OK.
    As I said, it's mainly a stove pipe issue.
    A stovepipe failure is a failure to eject, caused by short-stroking or a bad ejector.
    I feel like the gun use to fire OK and it was the last 5 or so years that it has been sucking.
    Some ejectors from certain 10/22 production eras seems to be marginal and take only a little wear before they become fully dysfunctional.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I have not run wet lube in a while as I have heard it is not what you are suppose to use, but I might switch!
    Dry lube should be OK. I prefer traditional oil in the .22 rimfires due to the waxy fouling. Oils seems to keep it from sticking and reduces build-up.

In reality, the 10/22 will run dry with Mini-Mags if it is perfectly clean, which you state yours to be.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I have not had any problems like this with any of my 10/22's so I really can't help you solve your problem. I will give you $100 for the rifle and make your problem go away. :D

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    wow - my 10/22 has always done well. But I don't shoot the hell out of it either.

Here's a stupid question; could repeated dry firing cause a dent in the chamber where gases can leak out and cause the stove pipe? I had this happen to my Ruger Mk I (I did shoot a lot of rounds threw it). I took it to a smith, he reamed it, and then it was fixed.

The Ruger Mk I has no bolt lock on the last round so I ended up dry firing it a lot when I was young. I am more careful these days.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ...Here's a stupid question; could repeated dry firing cause a dent in the chamber where gases can leak out and cause the stove pipe?
    No.

Headspace in the 10/22 is achieved via a recessed bolt face and a flat breech. The firing pin cannot reach the chamber.
    I had this happen to my Ruger Mk I (I did shoot a lot of rounds threw it). I took it to a smith, he reamed it, and then it was fixed.

The Ruger Mk I has no bolt lock on the last round so I ended up dry firing it a lot when I was young. I am more careful these days.
    Different setup, but maybe caused by a missing part (retaining pin). I cannot be as specific with the Mk 1 and I'm out of town and cannot look at one of mine, but I think the firing pin has a retaining pin for a positive stop.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I read Ed Shell replies even if I don't care about the topic.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    Take the bolt out and see if the extractor will hold an empty case snugly against the bolt face. If not, it's possible the empties are slipping down the bolt face and being flipped upward rather than outward by the ejector. In my case, reprofiling the extractor for a good fit helped make the election pattern way more consistent.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Check the inside top of the receiver and see if the firing pin is dragging on it.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    I'm a big fan of setting up a nice close-up video camera to troubleshoot. You can slow it down and really catch some things you never thought you could.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom